The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign edler or not?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Sign Edler for one more year or not sign  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

As much as I would love Edler to finish his career here, imo we need to set aside emotions and move on.

Either acquire someone younger to be the heavy minute muncher or groom the youngsters we already have. This team is going no where with the amount of minutes we're giving Edler and Myers.

We moved on from Ohlund to let a young Edler take over in 09, time to do the same. 

If he gets no offer from the Canucks, I think he retires.

I think that management must really pay attention to the room and judge how important Edler is to it.  He could handle a year on the bottom pair and play up in case of injury but the question is do we really need him?  Last year was a bit of a shock to the D corps with Tanev and Stech moving on and of course "Dad" and Stech were big in the room.  You could argue that the loss of another of the old guard on the back end wouldn't have the same effect.  Benning may be shy to make the same mistake twice.

FWIW, Schmidt and Hamonic have settled in as the season has gone on.  

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If he gets no offer from the Canucks, I think he retires.

I think that management must really pay attention to the room and judge how important Edler is to it.  He could handle a year on the bottom pair and play up in case of injury but the question is do we really need him?  Last year was a bit of a shock to the D corps with Tanev and Stech moving on and of course "Dad" and Stech were big in the room.  You could argue that the loss of another of the old guard on the back end wouldn't have the same effect.  Benning may be shy to make the same mistake twice.

FWIW, Schmidt and Hamonic have settled in as the season has gone on.  

Schmidt, myers and hamonic is more than enough experience on the backend. Hughes might as well be a vet also. Rather find a older player that still has a lil left in him on a cheap deal for our 3rd or 4th line like a foligno.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would bring him back, unless we can replace him with another defenceman that can take on heavy minutes. We've already seen this season how Hughes struggles when he's playing a lot. If we don't bring back Edler nor do we get a top-four replacement, I'm afraid it will put more pressure on Hughes.

Which also means we have one-two less shut down D assuming Hamonic may be gone which results in increasing our odds of drafting Shane Wright :bigblush::emot-parrot::towel:

Good chance he signs cause he checks the nostalgic and the great intangibles boxes; preferably, it is time to move on but I get it..

Older, slower and if he wants to say offer him a coaching position instead of taking ice time from some one else. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

NOT!!

respect and appreciate all he’s done here for us but it’s time to move on. 
No more  old and slow. 
hard for a team to improve when the same declining  players are resigned. 
same team = same result ... it really isn’t that complicated. 

Edited by combover
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Agreed with most people that, at most, we can keep him if he's willing to come back for cheap and in a reduced role. 
His skating just isn't where it needs to be anymore and if a steadier D-partner is available for Schmidt or Myers to form a shutdown pair (or Juolevi can take that spot) then we can bring him back to play secondary two-way minutes.  Defenses like ours (mostly built on mobility-oriented guys and puck-movers) need a stabilizer to calm things down.

I'd be ecstatic if JB could pull off the following:

Hughes - Larsson (Adam's a rock in his own end to provide Hughes with a safety blanket)
Schmidt - Hamonic (Schmidt was on VGK's shutdown D-pair with McNabb, and Hamonic would be a solid support in a shutdown pair)
Juolevi - Myers (Olli's smarts and positioning definitely help Myers, who's also shown he can be responsible this year; both can roam up ice)
/Rathbone, Chatfield (if some form of taxi squad needs to remain, we could have a PMD in Rathbone and defense-first LD/RD in Chatfield)

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Last year on his deal how many nuck fans want him back for one year?

I rather go with Rathbone, joulevi, Hughes, Schmidt, Myers and Harmonic. No need to sign Edler, rather have Tanev than Edler.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

If we go into next year with a defense this soft and small, we are missing the playoffs again.  

Well then Benning maybe should sign another D man that is tough to play against and can actually defend.

I'm not sure about Edler, as I think it will be very difficult to find a decent UFA that will want to play on this team right now.  Let's face it, this season has been such a dud that only the ones after +++$ will sign.

If the team has to overpay to find a good RD, then I would go with Montour(+/- $4.2m).  He is a physical dman with offensive upside, who has been buried in Buffalo for the past 3yrs (he was traded to Fla at the TDL), yet continues to improve his game.  He just turned 27 in April, so he has plenty of good years ahead of him.

Everyone talks about Hughes as a #1 dman, but I wonder about that. It seems to me that he is usually overplayed, which has resulted in defensive mistakes.  Imo, he should be playing 2nd line minutes and PP time.  I don't want to see him playing 23mins just yet.

I would rather see Schmidt play on his natural left side, barring injuries.

Schmidt   Montour

Hughes   Hamonic

Juolevi/Rathbone  Myers

This lineup shows some toughness, skill, speed, offence, depth and flexibility.  Rathbone may be the game changer in the coming season(s), so I could potentially see Schmidt or Myers being traded at some point.

2 hours ago, combover said:

NOT!!

respect and appreciate all he’s done here for us but it’s time to move on. 
No more  old and slow. 
hard for a team to improve when the same declining  players are resigned. 
same team = same result ... it really isn’t that complicated. 

So true, don't get Canucks fans love fest for washed up players. Move on, we didn't make playoffs with Edler this season so why sign him again. People who think we miss playoffs without Edler are so misguided. We got rid of Tanev who was a much better D so in a way we missed the playoffs without Tanev. Edler is not a top pairing D and is worse than Myers now too.

• Vintage 1

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

PP1 Hughes

PP2 Rathbone

PK1 Schmidt Hamonic

PK2 Juolevi Myers

Young on the left, experience on the right. I have a hard time seeing how that's not an upgrade on what we currently have and the special teams work out well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

PP1 Hughes

PP2 Rathbone

PK1 Schmidt Hamonic

PK2 Juolevi Myers

Young on the left, experience on the right. I have a hard time seeing how that's not an upgrade on what we currently have and the special teams work out well.

Like that lineup. Maybe if they can get an Avs d man due to expansion. Would give up a pick for Timmins since Avs need to protect the others like Toews, Johnson, Girard. 

3 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Which also means we have one-two less shut down D assuming Hamonic may be gone which results in increasing our odds of drafting Shane Wright :bigblush::emot-parrot::towel:

Didn't know Edler was a shut down dman We got rid of our only shut down dman in Tanev last off season. Sign Harmonic as the shut down dman. Schmidt has better D compared to Edler, Same as Myers

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Didn't know Edler was a shut down dman We got rid of our only shut down dman in Tanev last off season. Sign Harmonic as the shut down dman. Schmidt has better D compared to Edler, Same as Myers

Edler is far from a shutdown Dman. I agree. I mean can anyone that watched tonights game really say anything good edler did?

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Only on a cheap depth contract under 2 million. Time for the kids to play. If we can use him as a 4th-6th defenseman he can play strong but his skating is just a huge detriment to the team. 

No, I rather the kids play. Time to move on, I rather Benning sign Montour or Manson if he wants to sign Edler. We want to improve not stay stagnant. Even playing Joulevi and Rathbone as regulars is better than playing Edler for 20 minutes again. We will never improve the team if we keep signing up the same old players.

• Like 1