The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign edler or not?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Sign Edler for one more year or not sign  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

No, I rather the kids play. Time to move on, I rather Benning sign Montour or Manson if he wants to sign Edler. We want to improve not stay stagnant. Even playing Joulevi and Rathbone as regulars is better than playing Edler for 20 minutes again. We will never improve the team if we keep signing up the same old players.

This is what im trying to get across but 64% of this forum want him back. I honestly don’t understand its not like we are disrespecting him.

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Schmidt, myers and hamonic is more than enough experience on the backend. Hughes might as well be a vet also. Rather find a older player that still has a lil left in him on a cheap deal for our 3rd or 4th line like a foligno.

I think players like Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind, and myabe Graovac or Mckewan should be given chances to play to keep our cap down while having young hungry players playing. Motte can serve as the vet and maybe a good 3rd line center can be acquired during off season. If we cant find one, then I could see Canucks go with Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Beagle down the middle. 

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Hoglander

Lind-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Powers

Motte-Beagle-Highmore/Gadjovich

Hawerlyuk

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schmidt

Montour-Myers

Joulevi

Demko

Holtby

Out: Sutter, Edler, Roussell, Boyd, Vessey

If seattle takes Holtby then bring in Dipietro.

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Edler is far from a shutdown Dman. I agree. I mean can anyone that watched tonights game really say anything good edler did?

Edler was a +3 with one of the best xGF% numbers on the team despite only having 10% OZone starts playing shutdown minutes against some of the best players on the planet.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

This is what im trying to get across but 64% of this forum want him back. I honestly don’t understand its not like we are disrespecting him.

Canucks fans love old washed up players and get nostalgic. They would probably want Bure still playing if he could still walk.

I look at it through the process of elimination.

So we can agree on the following:

the defence absolutely blows

the defence needs major changes

Who comes back?

Quinn

Myers

Schmidt 

OJ

Boner

Maybe

Hamonic 

Edler

That's 7 dman, literally repeating trash.

So by default, Edler or Hamonic go.

Bye Eddie.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I think players like Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind, and myabe Graovac or Mckewan should be given chances to play to keep our cap down while having young hungry players playing. Motte can serve as the vet and maybe a good 3rd line center can be acquired during off season. If we cant find one, then I could see Canucks go with Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Beagle down the middle. 

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Hoglander

Lind-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Powers

Motte-Beagle-Highmore/Gadjovich

Hawerlyuk

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Schmidt

Montour-Myers

Joulevi

Demko

Holtby

Out: Sutter, Edler, Roussell, Boyd, Vessey

If seattle takes Holtby then bring in Dipietro.

That's real greasy, literally trash. Who is Powers?

Edited by Chris12345

Just now, Josepho said:

Edler was a +3 with one of the best xGF% numbers on the team despite only having 10% OZone starts playing shutdown minutes against some of the best players on the planet.

You make it sound like Edler is some Norris winning player who shut down McDavid. I saw some goals against when he was on the ice. The plus minus is not an important stat, because if you only focus on that, then Hughes would be the worst D man in the league. Edler is too slow for the game and needs to retire. Canucks dont need him anymore. We got rid of Tanev, Toffoli, Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Mitchell, Ohlund, Salo etc. How is Edler any different? If Canucks need help, they can just do trades because the expansion draft will open up opportunitues.

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I look at it through the process of elimination.

So we can agree on the following:

the defence absolutely blows

the defence needs major changes

Who comes back?

Quinn

Myers

Schmidt 

OJ

Boner

Maybe

Hamonic 

Edler

That's 7 dman, literally repeating trash.

So by default, Edler or Hamonic go.

Bye Eddie.

I agree, Edler is the one to go. We need cap space to sign Hughes and Petersson.

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

You make it sound like Edler is some Norris winning player who shut down McDavid. I saw some goals against when he was on the ice. The plus minus is not an important stat, because if you only focus on that, then Hughes would be the worst D man in the league. Edler is too slow for the game and needs to retire. Canucks dont need him anymore. We got rid of Tanev, Toffoli, Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Mitchell, Ohlund, Salo etc. How is Edler any different? If Canucks need help, they can just do trades because the expansion draft will open up opportunitues.

If Edler was too slow for the game, wouldn't his numbers suggest that he is as well? 

He and Schmidt have easily been our best two defencemen this season. The flaw of +/- is that it often gets used out of context, and players in more defensive situations (like Edler) would suffer as a result of that, but he had a great goal differential in spite of what is very hard deployment. Hughes' goal differential is concerning (especially relative to deployment) and he's mostly been a trainwreck at 5v5 this season, so while I don't think he's the worst defenceman in the league, I think he's severely overwhelmed by his current role at 5v5.

The team was literally worse after getting rid of Tanev and Toffoli -- I have no idea what point you're trying to prove here. Guys like Ohlund, Bertuzzi, and the Sedins were all washed, but this is a very weird and inconsistent list of players. I simply disagree that Edler is done and there's no metric that will indicate that his play has been a problem with this team.

I just have no idea how people can watch Myers bleed goals against and take penalties and conclude that Edler at <4mil is one of the team's bigger issues.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

really? who else is the forward in the draft that we can get? Brandt? I always thought Powers was a forward 

Powers is the dman we need. We don't need more forwards.

Forwards are a dime a dozen. D is impossible to fill.

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah I just dont know anything about him, except the name of the top picks like powers, brandt and hughes

Berniers, guenther, johnson, and even eklund we will be lucky to get any of them. All forwards

Then powers, hughes and clarke for D i mean we really cant go wrong in this draft no matter what.

3 minutes ago, Josepho said:

If Edler was too slow for the game, wouldn't his numbers suggest that he is as well? 

He and Schmidt have easily been our best two defencemen this season. The flaw of +/- is that it often gets used out of context, and players in more defensive situations (like Edler) would suffer as a result of that, but he had a great goal differential in spite of what is very hard deployment. Hughes' goal differential is concerning (especially relative to deployment) and he's mostly been a trainwreck at 5v5 this season, so while I don't think he's the worst defenceman in the league, I think he's severely overwhelmed by his current role at 5v5.

The team was literally worse after getting rid of Tanev and Toffoli -- I have no idea what point you're trying to prove here. Guys like Ohlund, Bertuzzi, and the Sedins were all washed, but this is a very weird and inconsistent list of players. I simply disagree that Edler is done and there's no metric that will indicate that his play has been a problem with this team.

Well the problem is the Canucks are in last and the d sucks. It needs changing.

So who goes to make changes?

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Well the problem is the Canucks are in last and the d sucks. It needs changing.

So who goes to make changes?

It should be Myers, but that's not gonna happen because we're stuck with that contract.

Hamonic has been a fine stopgap player, but we should be trying to give Hughes a better partner.

1 minute ago, Josepho said:

It should be Myers, but that's not gonna happen because we're stuck with that contract.

Hamonic has been a fine stopgap player, but we should be trying to give Hughes a better partner.

Exactly. Myers isn't moving his contract is terrible. So it's a toss up between Hamonic and Edler.