The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign edler or not?

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Sign Edler for one more year or not sign  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Exactly. Myers isn't moving his contract is terrible. So it's a toss up between Hamonic and Edler.

You definitely let Hamonic go in that case.

If I was the GM I'd probably just move off Myers regardless.

Edited by Josepho

Time to move on unless it’s a real sweetheart deal. Like $3 maximum on one year deals from here on out. He’s worth more than that so it’s a touch of an insult to him but Vancouver has also paid him $55 million over a decade and a half so it would be tough for him to be upset. If he’s game maybe but even then, that money can be better spent here. With a couple cheap young d-men under team control for a few years and Myers and Schmidt signed for a few years we, can’t tie up unnecessary money.

Other than the Sedins, he’s been the longest serving Canuck that I can remember. Maybe even longer than them now? Good on him. I was one of his biggest fans when he came into the league. Everyone was fawning over Bourdon but I really liked Edler’s game. He’s loyal, was a workhorse but he just could never quite got over the hump of being a true #1 dman. I appreciate his service but as I said, if it’s not a sweetheart deal I think it’s time to try something different.

17 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Time to move on unless it’s a real sweetheart deal. Like $3 maximum on one year deals from here on out. He’s worth more than that so it’s a touch of an insult to him but Vancouver has also paid him $55 million over a decade and a half so it would be tough for him to be upset. If he’s game maybe but even then, that money can be better spent here. With a couple cheap young d-men under team control for a few years and Myers and Schmidt signed for a few years we, can’t tie up unnecessary money.

Other than the Sedins, he’s been the longest serving Canuck that I can remember. Maybe even longer than them now? Good on him. I was one of his biggest fans when he came into the league. Everyone was fawning over Bourdon but I really liked Edler’s game. He’s loyal, was a workhorse but he just could never quite got over the hump of being a true #1 dman. I appreciate his service but as I said, if it’s not a sweetheart deal I think it’s time to try something different.

Edler was on his way to a Norris trophy until he got the nearly career ending back injury.

He had everything prior to that injury... physicality and scoring... one of the best hitters in the game at the time.

That injury changed him... he has had to play much more cautiously since then.

Still a very good defenseman... but not the #1 he would have been.

24 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Edler was on his way to a Norris trophy until he got the nearly career ending back injury.

He had everything prior to that injury... physicality and scoring... one of the best hitters in the game at the time.

That injury changed him... he has had to play much more cautiously since then.

Still a very good defenseman... but not the #1 he would have been.

Yeah to me it wasn’t the skills that held him back. He just didn’t have that “it” factor I guess? His demeanour is very stoic. Just not an alpha player that would take charge. Those guys don’t grow on trees though.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would bring him back, unless we can replace him with another defenceman that can take on heavy minutes. We've already seen this season how Hughes struggles when he's playing a lot. If we don't bring back Edler nor do we get a top-four replacement, I'm afraid it will put more pressure on Hughes.

I agree and disagree with this.

I agree they would  need to replace him. From the system or not. Joulevi would be the best choice but I do not know if he is ready or if he will ever be ready. From outside the system this will be difficult. This should not be their highest priority a third line center should. They need to improve the 2nd unit PP and our Secondary scoring far more then they need a top 4 dman. If they can play a possession game they wont have to rely on defense as often. A third line center would help with this. (my pick Mikael Granlund or someone similar.) 

I disagree with you who ever plays those mins If it be Edler, Joulevi or insert name it will not relieve the pressure on Hughes he needs to fix his Defensive game if he is to be come a true #1 (I'm not talking a #1 on this team he is already I'm talking about one that can play for a champion team) lucky for him his skating will allow him to and defense can be taught is the old saying the skill is all there he just might have to slow his game down a bit. He truly is an offensive gift but his offense might be is biggest downfall right now or it is his confidence but I'm sure any coach would take a guy like him.

Yes, he still brings value to this team. He still plays hard minutes even if his foot speed isn't what it was, and he'll likely do it cheaper than some of the other options we'd have. 

Season by season til he retires, I want to see him hit 1k. 

Its time to close the chapter. 
let Edler walk, and I hope he’ll take the orca in his luggage. 

in my book Tryamkin would have replaced Edler. 

Every Million that goes to Edler and was not offer to Tryamkin is a failure. 

no Tryamkin? No Edler. 

target at least Savard because of UFA, but I would love to replace Edler with Cernak. 

We should resign Hamonic for $2m. Hamonic, Schmidt and Myers provide enough leadership without Edler.

Instead of resigning Edler I would prefer to use his cap space to stock up on young guys with future potential. I don't care if our D corps takes another step back next year, we have to find some solutions to develop and go forward. This off season may be an opportune time to take advantage of TBL and COL's cap troubles...

They each have young promising RDs that I project they can only afford to pay less than $1m and each of them will also be stuck behind a deep defense corps which they will be aware will stifle their ability to progress.

JB should make the following offer sheets along with the sales pitch that if they can work hard these guys have the potential to be top 4 guys within 1 year on our roster, which will be better for their career in the long run:

Foote (TBL) - $1.439m (no compensation)

Timmins (COL) - $1.439m (no compensation)

I can't see either team able to match even those small pay rises. I know offer sheets hardly ever get used, but JB should do it. Heck, to be polite make a trade offer first of e.g. 3rd or 4th round pick and if the team declines, then make the offer sheet.

Next season:

Schmidt Myers

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Foote

Juolevi Timmins

Edited by BigTramFan

imo, we still don't have a #1 defense pair. quinn isn't there yet. what edler does, even at his age and declining foot speed, is munch minutes. if JB can find those players, then i hope eddie retires. not often those players come available or cheaply enough to sign. case in point OEL. we have lots of 2nd and 3rd pairing defensemen, just not top pairing ones. i think that is why, JB tried so hard to get OEL.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

The problem is not Edler, the problem is nobody is good enough, yet, or ever, to replace him.

Yes, he is slowing down and should not be getting all those minutes, but the fact is ; he is.

Which is a big reason our defense has looked awful this season. Any of our kids can replace him easily i don’t understand noones good enough to replace him lmao

Hes actually not that good at all anymore ao what are you looking at?

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Any of our kids can replace him easily

20,000 comedians out of work and you are trying to be funny?

None of the 'kids" are ready for that type of work load. 

Maybe in another year Ollie will be able to fill that spot, but not next season.

Sign Edler.

Leads the team in blocked shots.

Leads the blueline in hits.

Leads the team in penalty killing.

Plays the hardest minutes on the blueline.

Still need Edler.  Still a very effective workhorse.

And love the guy.

Particularly necessary if they're going to continue to integrate youth on the blueline and up front...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Which is a big reason our defense has looked awful this season. Any of our kids can replace him easily i don’t understand noones good enough to replace him lmao

Hes actually not that good at all anymore ao what are you looking at?

What?

No kid should be thrown into the kind of minutes Edler plays.

Absolutely nothing "easy" about replacing those minutes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I dont know if people realize just how much it will hurt our back end to lose the Eagle... he plays a lot of important situations/minutes. Its a bit of a tough crossroad for the Canucks and Edler. He’s still very serviceable and a solid dman, but we do at some point need to introduce the next era of the Canucks blue line and just run with it. The problem is who is ready for a top 4 role that can do the things Edler does on a nightly basis. And then there is the issue of cap and term when considering bringing Edler back. How much is too much and how long is too long?

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What?

No kid should be thrown into the kind of minutes Edler plays.

Absolutely nothing "easy" about replacing those minutes.

Edler have been exposed because of the amount of minutes he plays. 

He would play better with 15-17 mn of ice time, and 15-17 mn is a far easy to replace.
so Edler is replaceable. 

• RoughGame 1