The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese rocket that may be out of control is hurtling back to earth.

Cromeslab

6 hours ago, Ilunga said:

This thread seemed to be turning into a bash China thread.

I suppose I am a bit sensitive on this subject as tensions between our countries have been escalating to the point that there was on Op-ed in the Global times about long range strikes against Aus.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/china-advised-to-bomb-australian-soil/news-story/de4d171dd712250401d6b828a0543e34

As far as I am concerned Obama's pivot to Asia exacerbated the problems between China and it's neighbours in the Pacific.

If you have read that article I posted from The Diplomat you will understand why I feel this way.

If you do further research you will learn that the US has basically surrounded the bottom half of China with Military assets.

Maybe, but not by me....

Some people were opining that they would prefer it land in China (since it's "their fault", I suppose)......I was just pointing out that it was unlikely. My personal preference was that it land in the ocean somewhere.

I don't disagree with your premise. I just disagree with your inaccurate characterization of my post.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The piece from the Diplomat is an op/ed, and shouldn't be taken as fact.

As for the opinion provided in that op/ed piece, I disagree with the theory being pushed.  I would contend that the ccp's change in tone has less to do with a perceived provocation by the west, and more so to do with current leadership. 

My perspective is that the ambitions of the current leadership are part of a cyclical shift in power within the party between those who are moderates (guys like Zhao Ziyang, Hu Yaobang in the 80s; Zhu Rongji, Hu Jintao, and Wen Jiabao in the turn of the millenium) and those who prefer a hardline approach (Mao, Li, Peng, Li Xiannian, Jiang Zemin, and now winnie the poo).  The moderates tend to have a more conciliatory approach to foreign affairs, trying to find common ground and demonstrating willingness to compromise for the greater (ie. global) good, while the hardliners tend to act more as bullies, wanting to stake their claim in the world order, and doing so loudly and profanely.

That current leadership is using the west as the unifying rally call just happens to be a convenient but consistent approach honed by their hardliner forebearers.  Obama's policy shift just happens to be a coincidental occurance in the context of ccp ambitions.  I wouldn't be surprised if the writer of that op/ed piece is Republican to the core and looking for ways to invalidate Obama's legacy.

I believe that when things go south for winnie the poo that the ccp's moderates find themselves back on top again.  However, given that winnie the poo has placed himself on the same level as Mao, I'm certain he already has machinations to keep himself as emperor for a long time.  Heck, they got rid of term limits for him a few years ago, which kind of goes to show his ambitions.

And yes, everything above is an opinion of mine.  But I mean, what do I know?  I'm no political scientist, I'm not a military strategist, I don't even have more than a bachelor's degree in a field that has absolutely nothing to do with geopolitics.  :P

As for the original purpose of this thread, you could say that the uncontrolled re-entry of the rocket is a nothing burger, given the lax standards of how things were done in the '60s by both the west and the USSR, but the fact that the ccp has been extremely opaque about how they go about doing things (including things that have impact - pun intended - on other countries) isn't helping their position at all.  It's hard to inspire trust when you haven't been forthcoming or transparent about your actions and intentions, if you know what I mean.

I did a little digging on the writer and I'd characterize him more as Anti-China, rather than Anti-Obama. (although it's entirely possible that he's a Republican)

His name is John Ford and after skipping over a bunch of wiki info about director John Ford, I found  a second article which also is critical of the current CCP leadership, although in the second article time, he criticizes the US withdrawal from the TPP, (opening it up for Xi to assume the role of the global leader is such partnerships, as it were) which of course, is part of Bone Spurs' legacy.

Ford is former US military, so I'd say his stance is not surprising.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe, but not by me....

Some people were opining that they would prefer it land in China (since it's "their fault", I suppose)......I was just pointing out that it was unlikely. My personal preference was that it land in the ocean somewhere.

I don't disagree with your premise. I just disagree with your inaccurate characterization of my post.

I apologise for being Chief Runs with Premise....

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The piece from the Diplomat is an op/ed, and shouldn't be taken as fact.

As for the opinion provided in that op/ed piece, I disagree with the theory being pushed.  I would contend that the ccp's change in tone has less to do with a perceived provocation by the west, and more so to do with current leadership. 

My perspective is that the ambitions of the current leadership are part of a cyclical shift in power within the party between those who are moderates (guys like Zhao Ziyang, Hu Yaobang in the 80s; Zhu Rongji, Hu Jintao, and Wen Jiabao in the turn of the millenium) and those who prefer a hardline approach (Mao, Li, Peng, Li Xiannian, Jiang Zemin, and now winnie the poo).  The moderates tend to have a more conciliatory approach to foreign affairs, trying to find common ground and demonstrating willingness to compromise for the greater (ie. global) good, while the hardliners tend to act more as bullies, wanting to stake their claim in the world order, and doing so loudly and profanely.

That current leadership is using the west as the unifying rally call just happens to be a convenient but consistent approach honed by their hardliner forebearers.  Obama's policy shift just happens to be a coincidental occurance in the context of ccp ambitions.  I wouldn't be surprised if the writer of that op/ed piece is Republican to the core and looking for ways to invalidate Obama's legacy.

I believe that when things go south for winnie the poo that the ccp's moderates find themselves back on top again.  However, given that winnie the poo has placed himself on the same level as Mao, I'm certain he already has machinations to keep himself as emperor for a long time.  Heck, they got rid of term limits for him a few years ago, which kind of goes to show his ambitions.

And yes, everything above is an opinion of mine.  But I mean, what do I know?  I'm no political scientist, I'm not a military strategist, I don't even have more than a bachelor's degree in a field that has absolutely nothing to do with geopolitics.  :P

As for the original purpose of this thread, you could say that the uncontrolled re-entry of the rocket is a nothing burger, given the lax standards of how things were done in the '60s by both the west and the USSR, but the fact that the ccp has been extremely opaque about how they go about doing things (including things that have impact - pun intended - on other countries) isn't helping their position at all.  It's hard to inspire trust when you haven't been forthcoming or transparent about your actions and intentions, if you know what I mean.

The first article I posted illustrates that many nations on this planet think the US is the greatest threat to world peace and lists their military involvment in nations around the world.

The second article while only an Op-ed contains facts that cannot be denied about why the Chinese thought Obama's pivot to Asia was a direct threat to them.

Here is another article that reinforces my points 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2331190/us-readies-for-war-with-china-with-400-bases-of-ships-and-nukes-to-create-perfect-noose-around-superpower-rival/

Now imagine if China starting building bases that close to America, what would they do.

John Pilger is one of our best ever journalists and BS detectors.

If you are really interested in this subject I suggest you watch his doco the coming war