The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] The Canucks and Coyotes should revisit the OEL deal from last off season

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

1) Juolevi + 1st as sweeteners to Seattle to take on Eriksson and Roussel.

2) Most of that above money goes to Dougie Hamilton.

Very likely not realistic or practical.....but as Llyod Christmas once said....”you’re telling me there’s a chance?”  :-p

I wouldn't trade the first. 

• Cheers 1

Wow that 2021 1rst could be a top 5 pick! Likely the best player in this deal in 2 years time! Arizona missed their chance to get rid of that aging contract. We got Schmidt and moved on. Once we sign Hughes there really isn’t much cap space for that big of a contract on the defence side of things.

This is a yes if ARI retains 3 million.   Otherwise a non-starter.   We don't need to compete for the cup next year we aren't there yet.   I know Hamilton probably won't make it to free agency, but would much rather the team goes to free agency on whomever is an upgrade no matter the position, then spend assets at this point.   We need to keep what we have left not throw it away.    On that note if 2 years is when we are going to compete then that's what needs to be supported.   Both Horvat and Miller for example - what would the two of them together get us back?  

On 5/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Wow that 2021 1rst could be a top 5 pick! Likely the best player in this deal in 2 years time! Arizona missed their chance to get rid of that aging contract. We got Schmidt and moved on. Once we sign Hughes there really isn’t much cap space for that big of a contract on the defence side of things.

Flick your mind into what teams spend on their D.   We can afford QHs because he's not going to break the bank.   Going to get paid more then he's worth so far i'm sure, but that's just over six.   Edlers money is going to him.   Some teams have over 30 million tied up into their D... we don't have anything close to that even which QHs making bank.   Think about it for a minute.  Our 7th D in Ballard, was making the same cap percentage as Myers is now back in 2011.    And our D back then was stacked. 

But i get where your going with this.  The only way we should welcome OEL is with serous retention.   Much rather we go after a top four D that costs us only cap.  And we will have the money to spend, some this off season and sh!t ton the following. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Flick your mind into what teams spend on their D.   We can afford QHs because he's not going to break the bank.   Going to get paid more then he's worth so far i'm sure, but that's just over six.   Edlers money is going to him.   Some teams have over 30 million tied up into their D... we don't have anything close to that even which QHs making bank.   Think about it for a minute.  Our 7th D in Ballard, was making the same cap percentage as Myers is now back in 2011.    And our D back then was stacked. 

We still have some bad contracts on the books next season. A lot of money tied up in bottom 6 players and Eriksson. With our cap savings from Edler, Sutter and Baertschi ++ that’s what you got for Pettersson, Hughes maybe Hamonic and a new 3rd line Center contracts. We’re at the cap now how are you clearing 8.25 more for an oft injured declining dman for is 31-35 year old seasons. Trades just not worth it in my eyes. OEL is okay but he’s on the declining part of his career while he’s at his highest price tag.