The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 8, 7 p.m. l SNP | RIGGED EDITION

Rate this topic

Seems you all projecting your hatred of our failures to others, we need to forget about every other team/player and finally acknowledge we suck, until we stop hating/blaming everyone and everything else we will continue to suck. See you same time next year, the story will be the same because we never made any changes.

• Hydration 3
3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Cheech is one of the biggest homers but I love him. Shorty is really good at what he’s does. You can sense his passion on regular days but also slides into HNIC nicely 

Both are amazing and have probably the best chemistry on the air. Hrudey actually has good chemistry with the guy he works with this year (dunno his name) but I just love their dumb comments throughout an event about food and nonsense. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Darius said:

100 points for Mc is a great accomplishment.

Where do you put him in the context of the all time greats?

Imho he’s not 99 or 66 calibre.  Those guys saw the ice at a 4d chess level. 

This might sound biased, but im hoping some  of the old timers chime in.

If you wondered what prime Pavel Bure or Teemu Selanne would look like with no two line off side, no clutching and grabbing and no opposing goons trying to make a name for themselves by taking their head off every game I think McDavid is an accurate projection. Bure and Selanne were absolute rockets, and sublime one on one players.  

Maybe McDavid is better than those two, but I think he’s closer(whether above or below) to the echelon of players that include the  likes of Bure than he is to the likes of Gretzky / Lemieux. 

Yeah yeah, the d men now a days are far quicker and more dynamic but what would prime Bure or Selanne do to an Alex Edler for example? 

Goalies are far bigger and better too, but selanne scored 76 as a rookie, I can’t imagine him not scoring 40-50 today. 

Mc also has the luxury of playing with arguably the second best player right now.  Something Bure never had the luxury of doing..

Mcdavid will prob go down as the best of his generation but  not sure he will be the goat when it’s all said and done. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that seeing hockey played without helmets is seeing it at its best! So much easier to see the personalities of the players. Imagine Brock’s flow flying behind as he skated. You used to have guys like Ron Dugay with more hair than that. You could see how good-looking some guys were and conversely how ugly, broken, scarred and toothless others were!

• Hydration 2
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This is an endless no-win debate but I’ll toss a couple of things out for the heck of it.

You won’t even get a consensus on guys from the same era, just too many what-ifs; injuries, strength of team, teammates etc.

Changes in rules, redlines, composite/curved sticks, goalie masks, playing without helmets, playing with tiny thin pads, the size of goalie equipment. 

Two guys that I grew up watching that dynamically changed the way the game was played are Orr and Gretzky. Imagine a defenceman winning the Art Ross, twice. New rules came into effect because of Gretzky. Draft pools separated Gretzky’s goals and assists so you could only pick one. But there were players that I only caught late in their careers like Howe so it’s hard to compare when you haven’t seen them in their prime. How do you rate McDavid now before injuries start to take their toll?

I prefer to look at them against players of the same era and rate them that way, in a group. I know I’ll forget to list some but I think Howe and Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, and now McDavid and here’s a little blasphemy, I might even pick Draisatl over McD. 
McD is far more dynamic but damn, Drai is one solid, fast bull of a man with a wicked shot!

What I won’t do is try to name a GOAT, I’ll leave others to argue about that.

I pondered this lots and Gretzky is still and for the foreseeable future will be the GOAT, having said that if you stuck him into today’s NHL he’d be a decent player at best, the game has changed so much and with better equipment, training, even dedication to the game (in the 50s even the stars had second jobs) players just become better and better.

Throw Gretzky, McDavid, or any future star back into Gordie Howes days and they’d be retired with an injury probably first or second game, it was a different game back then.

What I believe makes players great is how far ahead of other players in their era they are, you can’t compare past, present or future.

McDavid is showing his dominance and will be one of the best but Gretzky was so far ahead of everyone else in his time for now there is no threat to his status of GOAT.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Posted (edited)

@LeafsFanDan ready for a first round exit** again, i hate the bruins but you guys struggle lol against em. but this season is weird, dont think your goaltending is good enough, we'll see, why do you pop by and talk smack when its convenient? when we lose or are doing bad, responded too one of your posts and you didnt respond, whats your agenda eh?

Edited by TNucks1
4 hours ago, 1-d said:

I actually miss Jim Hughson. This pbp guy is a shameless homer who doesn't even bother hiding his bias on national broadcast.

He was so monotone. Should be an announcer for a high school game

So ponder this, every other division is set, even though we are last in ours both in points and P% and third last in the league yet we still have a chance of winning the Cup.

Wonder what the Vegas odds of that happening are.

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So ponder this, every other division is set, even though we are last in ours both in points and P% and third last in the league yet we still have a chance of winning the Cup.

Wonder what the Vegas odds of that happening are.

Close enough to 0, that the odds of even making the playoffs are listed at 0.0%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Edited by Canadian
1 hour ago, Cromeslab said:

Oilers should win next five cups........

Please... no.... just the thought of it :(

Are people here still complaining about losses?

hahaha

This season was over a couple months ago. 

I hate the Oilers, but it’s been fun to watch McWhiner get to 100.  He only plays one side of the ice, but he is a lot of fun to watch!

We have a real shot at drafting Powers or Clarke if we lose these last couple games.  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Darius said:

100 points for Mc is a great accomplishment.

Where do you put him in the context of the all time greats?

Imho he’s not 99 or 66 calibre.  Those guys saw the ice at a 4d chess level. 

This might sound biased, but im hoping some  of the old timers chime in.

If you wondered what prime Pavel Bure or Teemu Selanne would look like with no two line off side, no clutching and grabbing and no opposing goons trying to make a name for themselves by taking their head off every game I think McDavid is an accurate projection. Bure and Selanne were absolute rockets, and sublime one on one players.  

Maybe McDavid is better than those two, but I think he’s closer(whether above or below) to the echelon of players that include the  likes of Bure than he is to the likes of Gretzky / Lemieux. 

Yeah yeah, the d men now a days are far quicker and more dynamic but what would prime Bure or Selanne do to an Alex Edler for example? 

Goalies are far bigger and better too, but selanne scored 76 as a rookie, I can’t imagine him not scoring 40-50 today. 

Mc also has the luxury of playing with arguably the second best player right now.  Something Bure never had the luxury of doing..

Mcdavid will prob go down as the best of his generation but  not sure he will be the goat when it’s all said and done. 

Yes exactly  how i feel having watched all theses guys,  Federov also deserves to be in that conversation too, another speedster.  Maybe even Gartner lol..     Of those three Federov played a responsible two-way game, something that Bowman also instilled with Yzerman.    56 games that's an impressive feet no doubt,  other guys did it too though.   I'm just glad the league finally has someone again that can do that (Kucherov also had a stellar season a few years ago).... it's been quite a long time.    Although Crosby came in at a hot clip and then lost his chance dealing with concussions...was on fire one year too.     Have to wait and see.   Oates, Hull, Espo, Yzerman,  Jagr, Nichols,  Bossy also had some pretty incredible full seasons that likely would have matched up well if this one went 77-80 games.    Why it's happened 25 ish times before.    Still it's incredible.    

Have to wait and see how the next five years go before we crown anything...would need five more of them at least to enter a conversation on where he stacks against the second tier of guys, Mario, WG and Orr ... well it's possible we will see that again, but almost impossible that is what we are witnessing now.      I wonder how Lindros would do today, there is only a couple players in the league that can handle him, and one is about to retire (Chara) supposing he could catch him. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Burr 1

McDavid and Drai completely exposed our lack of structure and had a fun 4 games 

but oh, “he is just a great player”, we are tired … blah blah

Typical Green 

How about developing a game plan?

But lets extend him, he us awesome, just really have had really bad luck….did I get that right? 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I pondered this lots and Gretzky is still and for the foreseeable future will be the GOAT, having said that if you stuck him into today’s NHL he’d be a decent player at best, the game has changed so much and with better equipment, training, even dedication to the game (in the 50s even the stars had second jobs) players just become better and better.

Throw Gretzky, McDavid, or any future star back into Gordie Howes days and they’d be retired with an injury probably first or second game, it was a different game back then.

What I believe makes players great is how far ahead of other players in their era they are, you can’t compare past, present or future.

McDavid is showing his dominance and will be one of the best but Gretzky was so far ahead of everyone else in his time for now there is no threat to his status of GOAT.

If that is true then how did Gretzky manage his clip in the 90's against the likes of Jagr, Selanne, Sundin, Sakic, Forsberg etc who played against the up and coming guys back then who were the stars in the 2000's, were also stars in the 2000's themselves -  like Iginla?   That to me is just BS.     And he was only a shadow of his former self, starting with his back/neck shoulder injuries that almost had him retire a few years after becoming a King.     Doesn't add up does it?   Mario took come time to dethrone him and also played against these guys as an old man coming back to help his Pens twice including when Crosby first came in.... and the Olympic's in 2002...Suppose none of these guys could play in today's game - oh wait Jagr scored 76ish points as a 43 year old or something a few years back right?   Yes he'd be scoring 160-180 points instead ... only because teams wouldn't be as stacked.   Same with Mario.    Zubov scored 73ish at 37 after the redline was removed - personally I think WG would play close to par with the 80's,  with his biggest weapon open for stretch passes and no redline.   His best season, 215 points, he had 22 more assists then the second leading scorer had points.   Like the rest of the best guys who played back in the 80-90's say when talking about him - " he was so good that when we were scoring 100 he was scoring 200"... it's not even close.   McDavid would need to be scoring 180 now at least to match up with his four best seasons.    Guy won all the harts and art ross's for a decade basically.   Changed when he was 30 but he still managed one more in 94, his 15th season.    Coffey won a Norris in his 15th season too.   Against Sakic, Forsberg, Jagr etc...  also he managed that clip in the dead puck era, 36,37,38 etc years old...a mere mortal then, but still ourtscoring a bevy of future HHOFers. 

• Hydration 1

Its sad to see this “forum” has essentially become a cancel culture forum

if anyone makes a comment that is interpreted as negative against the team, the forks come out, including mods. Its no longer an open forum, its the only support the coach and management gang vs the doubters and certain mods, in my opinion, abuse their power to retaliate. You know who you are 

Heaven forbid a fan makes a comment about a sub 500 team. 7 years of losing hockey 

But no negative comments allowed because we just are so used to losing 

the only way to improve is to identify weaknesses and change. Yes change. Perhaps look at the oilers pp for example. Constant movement and rotation of players. We still take static predictable positions with zero movement. Pretty basic  fixes but hey lets just keep doing what we are doing and not question authority 

• Hydration 2
8 minutes ago, apollo said:

What's there to be positive about? Oilers won the cup last night right (based on how hard they were celebrating) ? I guess we should congratulate the oilers? 

Konner MckDaveed was celebrating as if he won the cup last night LOL 

empty arena, fake crowd noise, I'm not sure if they could have celebrated longer... 

I never cheer against Canadian teams... End of the day, they bring joy to Canadians across our glorious nation. But watching the oilers get swept will be nice this year. 

It's ok oilers fans. Just keep pretending u won the cup last night lol! 

Canucks future is bright. Nothing to be upset about. Oh no, missed the playoffs cuz our entire roster got the deadliest covid varient known to man kind! 

Canucks > coolers 24/7/365 lol 

The Coilers don’t have the eye of the Tiger man!

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

They better hope they get all the power play chances then. 5 v 5, they aren't that good. Their defense isn't Cup winning calibre, and Smith can be lit up pretty good too. The dropoff from McDavid and Draistl is like the Grand Canyon. Their third and fourth lines could be filled with any player in the NHL.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Is this based on Xbox for ps4? 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1