The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 8, 7 p.m. l SNP | RIGGED EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 hours ago, 4petesake said:

This is an endless no-win debate but I’ll toss a couple of things out for the heck of it.

You won’t even get a consensus on guys from the same era, just too many what-ifs; injuries, strength of team, teammates etc.

Changes in rules, redlines, composite/curved sticks, goalie masks, playing without helmets, playing with tiny thin pads, the size of goalie equipment. 

Two guys that I grew up watching that dynamically changed the way the game was played are Orr and Gretzky. Imagine a defenceman winning the Art Ross, twice. New rules came into effect because of Gretzky. Draft pools separated Gretzky’s goals and assists so you could only pick one. But there were players that I only caught late in their careers like Howe so it’s hard to compare when you haven’t seen them in their prime. How do you rate McDavid now before injuries start to take their toll?

I prefer to look at them against players of the same era and rate them that way, in a group. I know I’ll forget to list some but I think Howe and Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, and now McDavid and here’s a little blasphemy, I might even pick Draisatl over McD. 
McD is far more dynamic but damn, Drai is one solid, fast bull of a man with a wicked shot!

What I won’t do is try to name a GOAT, I’ll leave others to argue about that.

All of these comments and many more. Generations cannot be compared fairly. I grew up watching 60's hockey, Hull, Howe, Mahovlich, who morphed into Orr, Park, Clark, who morphed into the mid 70's Habs and Islander teams, then came Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey. Then came Lemieux. To think that Gordie Howe played in the NHL for 4 decades, shows you how great an athlete he was. Gretzky 20 seasons. I forget the name of the TV show where top athletes would compete in athletic events, he (Gretzky) was far and away the best of the best.

One thing for certain, today's players are better trained, eat healthier, more skilled, are better equipped, and have superior coaching. Or, are they overcoached, over trained, and, more suspect to injury? Not many of the highly talented players in the last 20 years have been the best for as long as previous generations. Look no further than Crosby and Malkin, Toews, Stamkos among them.

These top 50 lists aren't and never will be accurate, but, having seen the game played since the 60's, a healthy Orr, Gretzky, a healthy Lemieux, are top 3 by far. It's not even close. Could you imagine those three playing the game with no red line, all three would have over 100 assists regularly. Just my opinion.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Only saw last part of 3rd but Hogs was flying out there tonight. 

Hughes looked good too. So did Myers. 

If we were going to miss the playoffs and crap the bed, this covid year was a great year  to do it. (Esp with Petey out) 

1)High draft pick

2) we don't have to suffer through a losing 82 game season. 

3) Stanley Cup will have an asterisk. 

4)Youth got some games in

I'm really excited about next year. 

I think this shows management we don't need overpriced vets on bottom 6

The Stanley Cup should NOT have an asterisk this year.  It will be just as difficult to win as ever (maybe even more so considering the condensed schedule and all the other unique challenges of this year).  If we had been in the running for the cup this year would you still think it was somehow lessened?  Would you not celebrate a win?  I certainly would.   There is always an excuse to flush the current season and look forward to the next but we have to make sure that we don't look forward to next year, next year.  It's not really a healthy pattern.  The current season and the current game at hand is always the most important.  IMHO draft picks are a consolation prize for losing.  I don't want consolation prizes.  I want the real thing.  We've been waiting long enough.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

The Oilers can count their lucky stars they get to play the floundering Jets in the first round, Toronto and Montreal have shut down Mcdavid and Draisytl easily, they would make short work of the Oilers. 

Winnipeg has got to be the coldest team in the league the last 10 games limping into the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

The Oilers can count their lucky stars they get to play the floundering Jets in the first round, Toronto and Montreal have shut down Mcdavid and Draisytl easily, they would make short work of the Oilers. 

Winnipeg has got to be the coldest team in the league the last 10 games limping into the playoffs.

How many first overall picks have they had. It makes me sick that the nucks were thrown into a lottery when they needed picks the most, yet Edmonton gamed the system to find another Great one and screwed the rest of the league. No dig on Mcvid, he is the real deal, just plays for a team and in a league that is trying to get richer through using him like a pimp with a hooker. I had to turn off the sound because it was too nauseating.

35 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

All of these comments and many more. Generations cannot be compared fairly. I grew up watching 60's hockey, Hull, Howe, Mahovlich, who morphed into Orr, Park, Clark, who morphed into the mid 70's Habs and Islander teams, then came Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey. Then came Lemieux. To think that Gordie Howe played in the NHL for 4 decades, shows you how great an athlete he was. Gretzky 20 seasons. I forget the name of the TV show where top athletes would compete in athletic events, he (Gretzky) was far and away the best of the best.

One thing for certain, today's players are better trained, eat healthier, more skilled, are better equipped, and have superior coaching. Or, are they overcoached, over trained, and, more suspect to injury? Not many of the highly talented players in the last 20 years have been the best for as long as previous generations. Look no further than Crosby and Malkin, Toews, Stamkos among them.

These top 50 lists aren't and never will be accurate, but, having seen the game played since the 60's, a healthy Orr, Gretzky, a healthy Lemieux, are top 3 by far. It's not even close. Could you imagine those three playing the game with no red line, all three would have over 100 assists regularly. Just my opinion.

Thank you for organizing my own thoughts and presenting them so eloquently; could not agree more.

That Hockey Entertainment Show last night was a disgusting Gush Fest; were they all loaded?

There is no record, no achievement greater than others have done; McJesterShoes is an extremely good hockey player who will win the scoring race this year.

The rest is fluff.

• Cheers 4

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:
10 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They eliminated now??

actually no. If Montreal loses their last 3 games and we win our remaining 7 we will be tied at 57 but we would have one more regulation win which is the first tiebreaker 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Are people here still complaining about losses?

hahaha

This season was over a couple months ago. 

I hate the Oilers, but it’s been fun to watch McWhiner get to 100.  He only plays one side of the ice, but he is a lot of fun to watch!

We have a real shot at drafting Powers or Clarke if we lose these last couple games.  

This. I just wish we would be more physical and stop bending over for a W. I know coaches and player want to win, but a what cost. Sacrificing their reputation and lowering draft position. Let's embrace next year already. They did the same a few years ago, kept riding vets and bending over for a few meaningless Ws at the end of the season. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Exactly, if it ain't the Canucks it is just another team. &^@# this Canada's team concept, Canada's team is Team Canada through the IIHF. My favourite team is the Canucks, any other team is just another team doesn't matter which side of the border their arena is in.

Bingo.

When the Oilers made it to the finals against the Hurricanes, we all cheered for Them. When the Flames went to the finals against the Lightning, we all cheered for them.

But when our Canucks went to the finals against the Bruins, the rest of Canada, led by the CBC, cheered for the Bruins.

I will never cheer for another Canadian team.

55 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The Stanley Cup should NOT have an asterisk this year.  It will be just as difficult to win as ever (maybe even more so considering the condensed schedule and all the other unique challenges of this year).  If we had been in the running for the cup this year would you still think it was somehow lessened?  Would you not celebrate a win?  I certainly would.   There is always an excuse to flush the current season and look forward to the next but we have to make sure that we don't look forward to next year, next year.  It's not really a healthy pattern.  The current season and the current game at hand is always the most important.  IMHO draft picks are a consolation prize for losing.  I don't want consolation prizes.  I want the real thing.  We've been waiting long enough.  Go Canucks Go!

I wouldn't put an asterisk there either. Having said that this year it is easier to win especially for teams out if the North. Such a bad division. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

Bingo.

When the Oilers made it to the finals against the Hurricanes, we all cheered for Them. When the Flames went to the finals against the Lightning, we all cheered for them.

But when our Canucks went to the finals against the Bruins, the rest of Canada, led by the CBC, cheered for the Bruins.

I will never cheer for another Canadian team.

Never. I don't buy the Canadian garbage....well maybe Winnipeg if it is against the Rangers?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Nothing that 2 games against a Covid-depleted dead-assed tired Vancouver team won't alleviate

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if we won the cup this year but it would be different than a regular 82 game season in a regular division. 

This year is a special circumstance. 

We saw how the scheduling affected certain teams. We saw how covid dessimated this team. 

All I am saying is that missing the playoffs this year is ok by me. I'd rather this year than next

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

This. I just wish we would be more physical and stop bending over for a W. I know coaches and player want to win, but a what cost. Sacrificing their reputation and lowering draft position. Let's embrace next year already. They did the same a few years ago, kept riding vets and bending over for a few meaningless Ws at the end of the season. 

Classic Canucks. 
Failing to recognize they are out has been one of the biggest reoccurring mistakes this team makes. 

Never do a proper sell at the deadline. 
Never fully embrace playing the kids over vets. 
Always make a push in the last handful of games to ruin their draft position. 

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Classic Canucks. 
Failing to recognize they are out has been one of the biggest reoccurring mistakes this team makes. 

Never do a proper sell at the deadline. 
Never fully embrace playing the kids over vets. 
Always make a push in the last handful of games to ruin their draft position. 

If this is Classic Canucks, and you do not like it, feel free to jump off the bandwagon.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1