The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 8, 7 p.m. l SNP | RIGGED EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

You would think a guy with hockey vision this good could see his feet.

RONALD MC DAVID. 

Screenshot_20210508-233625_Twitter.jpg

That Toronto based brown shoe fashion disaster has to end.  I've been watching guys mess their $1000.00 suits up wearing those ugly colored shoes for the last 3 years. Maybe someone should go to Montreal (our Canadian fashion trend setters) and see if they can find anyone wearing those $h1t colored shoes.   Of course Albertans copy anything they see in TO and HNIC so not surprised to see this abomination exist there too.

• Like 1

Won't people be surprised when EDM is in the Final 4. Especially TOR ::D

McDavid scores when he wants. No other team has this kind of dominant player. 

Pettersson is a good player, but he's not great. He needs work, to build strength and confidence. Same with Hughes, so skilled but so many mistakes. They're young, too young still. And the vets are lousy. 

What bothers me as well, is they haven't been a contender (or even much of a playoff team) for a decade, and they're still in last place (or the bottom few). What a joke. Are we the new Senators? OTT has some very talented prospects as well, seem further ahead than VAN.

I guess it's just a waiting game now, for the young talent to mature and develop. Hopefully we get another good one this summer.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Yea man I'm with u... Media pretending like they won the cup hahah

Way too much... Super soft call to put them up 2 man... It's like the refs shadowed and made sure mcsofty got calls his way all year long. 

4-1 goal the night we spanked him. He almost clotheslined Nate after he drop passed to Leon... No call. 

I was loling tbh... Reminded me of JBL finishing move from WWE days... Can't believe he didn't get called for it. This is hockey not wrestling 

Then last night JT interference call when mcdavid ran into him... So soft. 

It's clear the league has sent a message to the refs to make it as easy for mccdeyvid as possible. 

I agree with so much of your post. The pick prior to the Meyers penalty, on the two man advantage. I take nothing away from those two Oilers, but, when they have carte blanche on the opposition it makes you wonder what it takes to get a call. I was shocked when they called McDavid for running an interference on of all Canucks like Gryovac. Who I might add, looks like an option for next season as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m definitely looking forward to a fresh start next year. Will be interesting to see if JB (assuming he’s back) will take a different approach to his signings. I think he will but if he continues like many others are saying he will, it will get ugly on here.

"Many others" here have just ignored what has been said publicly by GMJB.  

He had to sign veterans three years ago because our youth players weren't ready.  He has stated last two years that we won't be going to the free agency market as much because we will finally have our youth ready to step in.  We are seeing it this season. 

If we see any free agent signing (I doubt we will), it will be a player under 30 to grow with our core. 

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

The rebuild began the day the Sedins retired.

2018-19 - 82 games

2019-20 - 69 games

2020-21 - 49 games

It's been exactly 200 regular season games since the Sedins retired!

And just over half of those under 'regular' conditions.

Those who are calling to tear it all down are hilarious.

I think that the rebuild began one year prior to the Sedins retiring if you look at the trades that we made.  

Yes, people asking for a tear down are hilarious. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

He had to sign veterans three years ago because our youth players weren't ready.  He has stated last two years that we won't be going to the free agency market as much because we will finally have our youth ready to step in.  We are seeing it this season. 

If we see any free agent signing (I doubt we will), it will be a player under 30 to grow with our core. 

We need a speed puck distributing 3C, and true #2 stay at home RD.

Only way I see 3C coming from within is if Miller stays at center, and He and Bo become a 2a 2b scenario, which imo, is a hell of a good idea. Bo suddenly drops back to the checking center role, like Trevor Linden did for this team.

Only way I see a #2 RD coming, is via UFA. It doesn't have to be a 10 million dollar guy, it just has to be someone with experience and the ability to keep up.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m definitely looking forward to a fresh start next year. Will be interesting to see if JB (assuming he’s back) will take a different approach to his signings. I think he will but if he continues like many others are saying he will, it will get ugly on here.

I agree with what you said. I would be ok if Green came back but with a new pair of assistants. Coming back with the exact same staff wouldn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling that’s for sure. 

I’ve seen a change in the way JB handles contracts since Boesers re-signing. And last year just letting guys go helped with our cap these coming year. Whether he was strapped or not it helped us moving forward. Hopefully project Loui works out. It would be nice to see no buyouts again this year. I’m thinking big picture here. Spooners buyout is off the books this year. It was only 2 years but it feels long and that’s the stuff I want to see avoided. Cause in another year we have legit cap space.

I think JB will be back but I’m staring to worry about the guys safety. That crap in the grocery store was disturbing af. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Q: So is there any particular reason we're playing 7 inexperienced/AHL forwards in games like this?

A: Because 7 inexperienced/AHL forwards are better than 7 NHL experienced Canucks.

Any other questions?

Just now, xereau said:

We need a speed puck distributing 3C, and true #2 stay at home RD.

Only way I see 3C coming from within is if Miller stays at center, and He and Bo become a 2a 2b scenario, which imo, is a hell of a good idea. Bo suddenly drops back to the checking center role, like Trevor Linden did for this team.

Only way I see a #2 RD coming, is via UFA. It doesn't have to be a 10 million dollar guy, it just has to be someone with experience and the ability to keep up.

I like the idea of focusing on RHD, and centers in the draft. If we end up with a high pick that's not #1 overall,  aim for that rhd.

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Exposed by McDrai, no kidding, right. What team in the North hasn’t been? I’ve been trying to find the stats on their points vs each team but haven’t had any luck. I think Vintage posted them a short while ago and if I remember right the Canucks were about average. Don’t know if that has changed since though.

In any case I’m also in the camp that thinks coaching needs to improve. No matter how well the pp might have been under Brown in the past it just seems stale and lacklustre now. It seems like we just trot out the same thing time after time. So many games where a pp goal could have changed the momentum of the game. The defence under Baumgartner can’t seem to figure it out, and that’s not just the d’men. Wingers seem like they’re never in a position to give the d a good passing lane for the breakout. That stuff is beyond my pay grade but I don’t think it’s good enough.

I’m up in the air on Travis. Some things I like but others like his line-blending just p me off. Also he’s responsible for the whole system so why isn’t he demanding change? I can’t pin it all on the two NBs if Green finds it satisfactory.

Ditto, not confident JB will stop overpaying for intangibles; preferably, I would like to see this roster with a new coach before any trades (although, there is a good chance JV is gone due to the stigma of the accusations) and all our FA’s walk (time to move on and replenish the prospect cupboards). 

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

You would think a guy with hockey vision this good could see his feet.

RONALD MC DAVID. 

Screenshot_20210508-233625_Twitter.jpg

He looks terribly unhappy. Exactly like when the Coil 'won' the lotto.

I wonder how long until he demands a trade from Edmonton? He's never gonna win the cup there. Total waste of a career.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I agree with what you said. I would be ok if Green came back but with a new pair of assistants. Coming back with the exact same staff wouldn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling that’s for sure. 

I’ve seen a change in the way JB handles contracts since Boesers re-signing. And last year just letting guys go helped with our cap these coming year. Whether he was strapped or not it helped us moving forward. Hopefully project Loui works out. It would be nice to see no buyouts again this year. I’m thinking big picture here. Spooners buyout is off the books this year. It was only 2 years but it feels long and that’s the stuff I want to see avoided. Cause in another year we have legit cap space.

I think JB will be back but I’m staring to worry about the guys safety. That crap in the grocery store was disturbing af. 

Lol someone taking his picture flouting his inexplicable status as an "essential worker" isnt life threatening.

The guy is a millionaire. He can probably afford to have his groceries delivered to avoid the appearance of snubbing his nose at people. Its just another glinpse into his judgment as a person to not think just coming back from the US was a good time to go shopping.

It actually felt more like a&^@# you to Gaudette's wife who was eviscerated, by the same fans full throat supporting Benning now, for doing the same thing.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, Canadian said:

Close enough to 0, that the odds of even making the playoffs are listed at 0.0%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

If you take Montreal’s loss % and our win % the odds that they lose both and we win all 7 are .00107192 or roughly 1/10% or 1 in 1000.

Ottawa, over the last 10 games is the hottest team in the league at 8-1-1.

Had we done that we’d be 1 point back of the Habs with 5 games in hand.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol someone taking his picture flouting his inexplicable status as an "essential worker" isnt life threatening.

Canucks fans practically burnt down their city. Nothing would surprise me 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That’s my feeling as well, but aside from FAs his signings of any our own FAs & RFAs will have salary/term/nmc all under the microscope. Take the hullabaloo over Pearson’s contract for example. I agree that we are at the beginning of the next stage of growth where we now can start to rely on the guys that we have drafted and developed and fill one or two holes. The amount of young talented guys on the roster next year should be exciting. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hope this is true, time for the young core to bring in a new identity and fill the great intangible roles of mentoring & sheltering the incoming youths; perhaps JB can learn from the Laffs were they sign former top line players in support roles to short term & cheap deals.   Ex top players that can also make some on ice productions while mentoring the young core - hindsight.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski