The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks no longer in the mix to have a new practice rink at Plaza of Nations location.

Rate this topic

It doesn’t surprise me that this ownership would pull out. Seems to me to save money but who knows. Now they are searching for a new location. How come it feels that issues like this are always ongoing with this club. Turmoil, turmoil, turmoil. Some people might not think it’s a big deal, but free agents look at things like this when they make decisions to play for certain organizations. What is easier for them and convenient. It’s a pretty common thing to have a practice rink attached or close to the rink that a team plays in. Just leaves me shaking my head with this ownership. Link below.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-abandon-practice-rink-plaza-of-nations

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, butters said:

I imagine it would seem that way if you are always looking for them

Right. The acquillinis don’t come with any baggage. If you want to pretend they don’t have issues that’s fine but don’t try to portray them as something they aren’t or that criticism isn’t  warranted at times. It just seems like a cost cutting method of theirs that’s all. They are a big reason they are wasting so much money on bottom players with little impact. I think they are now trying to save money where they can. It’s another reason Benning is here even though there are a handful of reasons to let him go. All comes down to money. Hurts the team in the long run.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It doesn’t surprise me that this ownership would pull out. Seems to me to save money but who knows. Now they are searching for a new location. How come it feels that issues like this are always ongoing with this club. Turmoil, turmoil, turmoil. Some people might not think it’s a big deal, but free agents look at things like this when they make decisions to play for certain organizations. What is easier for them and convenient. It’s a pretty common thing to have a practice rink attached or close to the rink that a team plays in. Just leaves me shaking my head with this ownership. Link below.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-abandon-practice-rink-plaza-of-nations

Another troll trying to stir the pot. Waaaaaaa

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

It doesn’t seem like a big deal at all.  Maybe they want a combined dedicated  practice facility between Abbotsford and Vancouver now that can accommodate both teams.

I had a good chuckle at your handle below, didn't notice it till now. (not sure what you call it other than handle or something) Anyways your protons have mass thing at the bottom of your posts.

Good stuff lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Right. The acquillinis don’t come with any baggage. If you want to pretend they don’t have issues that’s fine but don’t try to portray them as something they aren’t or that criticism isn’t  warranted at times. It just seems like a cost cutting method of theirs that’s all. They are a big reason they are wasting so much money on bottom players with little impact. I think they are now trying to save money where they can. It’s another reason Benning is here even though there are a handful of reasons to let him go. All comes down to money. Hurts the team in the long run.

If it is a cost cutting move, that's just smart business.  And benefits the club in the end.

But the partnership recently fell apart, according to Daisen Gee-Wing, a senior vice-president of Canadian Metropolitan Properties, the developer behind the Plaza of Nations project.

We also have the Comets moving to Abbotsford and that may come into play?   Perhaps they want so share some space between them?

We don't want players who want "convenience" or they lose motivation.  We want players (like Stech, dammit) who'll ride a bike and puke at practice in order to earn a spot here.

Turmoil?  It's reports like this that create a buzz where there really isn't one.  If you're not part of solving the (ending the turmoil) problem, you're part of it.  I'm tired of the stuff that distracts from hockey....like people trying to grocery shop and business owners making business decisions like everything is open to scrutiny and criticism.  It actually hurts our team more than helps it.

But I see now...this is just another Benning/ownership thread poorly disguise.  Creative, but I still give it 1/10.

• Upvote 1

sounds like a pissing match between developers, my guess is Gee-Wing thought he had the Aqulini's in a tough negotiating position and wanted too much out of the deal. The Aqulini's aren't going to overpay just to have players walk across the street to practice. 

Lots of other good options, like supporting UBC or 8 rinks. 

• Like 1