The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to bring back a pure enforcer to the Canucks line up

Rate this topic

Should the NHL bring back the pure enforcer   

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Meh.

Fundamentally disagree with what I think is a bad take regarding teams having '3 or 4 wasted spots in the lineup anyway'.

Fourth lines have never been better.

There has never been such a deep, worldwide pool of talent with which to build rosters.

And 'bottom six' players are the most cost effective way of improving a lineup imo - depth matters - a lot - and there are very few, if any, teams that play their depth players only 6 or 8 minutes a night.  When that happens it tends to be when teams face a considerable amount of injuries and have players that aren't as 'trusted'/effective called up into those depth spots.

Rolling four lines is more and more vital - and it also makes the hockey more entertaining/up tempo - the quality of players at the 'bottom' of lineups has considerably improved the on ice product, over those times when fourth lines actually were 5 minute crash and bangers who weren't particularly good/talented hockey players.   I'll take Beagle and Motte types - true, dedicated shutdown units - (or a talented 'kid' line/secondary scoring depth line when the top 6 is veteran/in their prime) - over the traditional 4th line, anyday

The dedicated 'enforcer' is a thing of the past.  Period.  Thankfully.  And should remain so.

Would love to have more toughness - that can play - love having guys like Kassian, Dorsett, Gudbranson in the lineup - to answer in kind any attempts to push this team around - but at the same time, toughness that can play, effectively is not easy to find, acquire.  Teams, whether you like it or not - need 'team' toughness / 'pack' mentality. 

Hopefully the team can add a player that makes opponent fear consequences - but it's not a priority - and hopefully that player does so in a way that commands respect (imo guys like Dorsett - who wasn't an 'enforcer' by any stretch, but was certainly toughness that could play, who got in opponents faces - and Gudbranson - were guys that did not wear a "penalize me at any opportunity" badge on their jersey - as guys like Roussel, unfortunately do).

Perhaps Gadjovich will bring some more toughness if he's able to stick.

I'm also game for guys like Myers taking the odd liberty - one of my favorite penalties of the season was a punch he threw in the face of Ketchup...

All this to refute something that you miss read.

I said other then 3-4 teams have a wasted spot (spot the singular not spots the multiple). I only mentioned the 12th forward in the post not the 4th line. 

As the forth line always contains a center one of the most valuable positions in the league. A forth line center often plays on a 1st or 2nd unit PK. 

So you fundamentally disagree with your own miss reading. As I only believe that teams have 1 spot wasted unless they are one of 3-4 teams just to clarify it. The Canucks have probably 2 wasted spots right know but that is with Beagle out.

Edited by Arrow 1983

Canucks "leading the way" in a return to 90s hockey?  You must've forgotten how badly our players get burned by the NHL's DoPS.  We will be leading the way in penalties and suspensions if we put a goon out on the the ice.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Canucks "leading the way" in a return to 90s hockey?  You must've forgotten how badly our players get burned by the NHL's DoPS.  We will be leading the way in penalties and suspensions if we put a goon out on the the ice.

I got a solution for that does Parros have a son who plays hockey

I think we kind of already have that in MacEwen.

Thing is though, he has all the tools (size, can fight...etc) but he doesn't really seem mean enough.

I feel like most of his fights, he's either defending himself or teammates rather than really instigating them.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the idea, just don't know where we can find one. Its like finding a virgin in Kelowna. 

I’ve met lots of virgins from Kelowna in my day, sorry for reducing the numbers.

• Hydration 1

I don't think we need an enforcer however Barclay Goodrow is a definite target in Free Agency this summer for me.

I always loved Gudbranson but at his age and what he would want money wise not really an option - Barclay sticks up for his teammates.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's not going to happen Hughes, Pettersson aren't going to drop the gloves and neither are most players on this team or on most teams

Yeah, and I hear that Bure doesn't use his elbows.  :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Josepho said:

Enforcers are &^@#ing awful and don't do anything. No.

Probert, Williams, Semenko...There were guys that could actually play the game and score too.   Dave Manson went to several all-star games.   Heck Stevens in today's game would be an enforcer, same with Wendel Clark,  Kevin Stevens, Tochett (who was an enforcer when he came in), Curt Fraser, Neely and on and on.   Game doesn't even have power forwards in it really anymore.  Roberts..Shanny...where did this guys go?

Chara is the last remaining one - he came in as an enforcer for NYI...

Yes i'd be absolutely thrilled if we could an enforcer.   Difference between that and a goon.    The 4-5 minute guys of yesterday.   Probert at his peak in Detroit played 20 hard minutes a night.  But no instead we should have AR or Boyd or whomever. 

• Vintage 1

team toughness, team aggression, and team "take no bull$&!#" are what's required, not an enforcer. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
12 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

All this to refute something that you miss read.

I said other then 3-4 teams have a wasted spot (spot the singular not spots the multiple). I only mentioned the 12th forward in the post not the 4th line. 

As the forth line always contains a center one of the most valuable positions in the league. A forth line center often plays on a 1st or 2nd unit PK. 

So you fundamentally disagree with your own miss reading. As I only believe that teams have 1 spot wasted unless they are one of 3-4 teams just to clarify it. The Canucks have probably 2 wasted spots right know but that is with Beagle out.

how could I possibly have "miss read" that OP?

thanks for the 'clarification'.

but I still think your 'proposal' is really poorly conceived / outdated / a 'waste' of a roster spot when you need players that are effective between the whistles far more in the present NHL.

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Would rather prefer a team approach rather than a one player approach , especially, with the cap.

Pretty much this. The days of a one off enforcer on the 4th line are almost over. What’s needed, especially in playoff hockey, is a contagious, physical team culture that every player buys into. It starts with the team leaders and trickles down the roster. A problem that has plagued this team for years. 

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Pretty much this. The days of a one off enforcer on the 4th line are almost over. What’s needed, especially in playoff hockey, is a contagious, physical team culture that every player buys into. It starts with the team leaders and trickles down the roster. A problem that has plagued this team for years. 

Ditto, it should be a war mentality in the playoffs rather than depending on the GAME MANAGERS TO BAIL YOU OUT - it should be about sending the right message and the whole team follows up on that message (having flash backs of the unresponsive stoic Sedin and the baffled Marchand (due to the Sedins’ lack of reaction)).  

The gentleman type hockey has to end: where the team depends on the Zebras for PP time.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Hydration 2