Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to bring back a pure enforcer to the Canucks line up

Rate this topic


Should the NHL bring back the pure enforcer   

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

On 5/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, King Heffy said:

Ross Johnston doesn't qualify as a pure enforcer?  The role's not completely gone.  I'd rather bring in a tough guy instead of Vesey for sure.

I was going to say Matt Martin 

Ross Johnston is also an Islander

So I guess we can't be the first

 

the Isles must have been laughing watching theRangers get beat down

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 6:48 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

We don't need an enforcer as a position in the roster.

 

We need the team to stop thinking games are going to be reffed fairly and that everyone will get a fair shake on the ice or in front of the DoP(e)S.  Everyone should be willing to get their hands dirty, everyone should be willing to step up to protect each other.  No more of this kumbaya/turn the other cheek bull$&!#.


I'm not saying the team should spear, hook, cross-check, elbow, and board every opponent in the dirtiest way possible - they should still play within the spirit of fair play and gentlemanly conduct between the whistles, but they should also be prepared to drop the gloves and stand for one another if someone decides to take liberties on their teammates, instead of standing around holding their jockstrap hoping a ref will call something (because more often then not, the refs won't unless it's to do with "game management").

Petey, Hoggie, Huggy Boesey all out with a broken hand or concusion is not going to help this team at all

 

did you notice how well we did in Winnipeg when  the Jets started hitting?

you cannot ask a smurf team to stand up against Ryan Reeves, Matt Martin or even Lowry and the Jets

There is a reason the Jets have owned us for 10 years

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lmm said:

Petey, Hoggie, Huggy Boesey all out with a broken hand or concusion is not going to help this team at all

 

did you notice how well we did in Winnipeg when  the Jets started hitting?

you cannot ask a smurf team to stand up against Ryan Reeves, Matt Martin or even Lowry and the Jets

There is a reason the Jets have owned us for 10 years

The Sedin era Canucks were a talent heavy team, and quite frankly a playoff failure (yeah ok, one SCF but also a bunch of early exits when we were the most skilled team in the league.

 

On the flip side a team full of goons will fail as well.

 

The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, I’ve been saying this since AV and his turn the other cheek and chew some gum style of coaching and till the Canucks figure it out it’ll just be the same sh!t, another year.

  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The Sedin era Canucks were a talent heavy team, and quite frankly a playoff failure (yeah ok, one SCF but also a bunch of early exits when we were the most skilled team in the league.

 

On the flip side a team full of goons will fail as well.

 

The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, I’ve been saying this since AV and his turn the other cheek and chew some gum style of coaching and till the Canucks figure it out it’ll just be the same sh!t, another year.

that is the issue I have with Jim

Hoglander, Paettersson, Manyukin, Palmu, Hughes, Rathbone (might grow) Madden

It seems Jimmer like his small skill guys but isnot so big on big skill guys

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lmm said:

that is the issue I have with Jim

Hoglander, Paettersson, Manyukin, Palmu, Hughes, Rathbone (might grow) Madden

It seems Jimmer like his small skill guys but isnot so big on big skill guys

big skilled guys are harder to find. Thats why I was hoping we'd have the chance to compete for Lowry for our next 3C. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

i know you've been big on Lowry all season, what are your thoughts about Bjugstad?

 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/139925

I like his size, but I worry about his health and he's not a very good face off guy, so I don't see him as our next 3/4C answer.

 

A few folks have suggested going with Petey, Bo and Miller each centring a line, which is a neat idea, but then I think we really need to target a really solid 4C.

 

Looking at the free agents, maybe instead of blowing the wad on a 3C trade, we overpay a bit for say one year of Krejci? or Zajac? but just one year. Maybe bring back Sutter if he's willing to re-sign under 2 mil for 1 year too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like his size, but I worry about his health and he's not a very good face off guy, so I don't see him as our next 3/4C answer.

 

A few folks have suggested going with Petey, Bo and Miller each centring a line, which is a neat idea, but then I think we really need to target a really solid 4C.

 

Looking at the free agents, maybe instead of blowing the wad on a 3C trade, we overpay a bit for say one year of Krejci? or Zajac? but just one year. Maybe bring back Sutter if he's willing to re-sign under 2 mil for 1 year too. 

i agree on Bjugstad he is a big question mark. He had a very serious Injury similar to Eichel's (spine related)

 

I like the idea of signing a stop gap, makes sense to me. lots of dollars coming off the books next year.

 

if sutter comes back too , would you consider signing Sheahan as depth? or would it be better to say resign Graovac?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i agree on Bjugstad he is a big question mark. He had a very serious Injury similar to Eichel's (spine related)

 

I like the idea of signing a stop gap, makes sense to me. lots of dollars coming off the books next year.

 

if sutter comes back too , would you consider signing Sheahan as depth? or would it be better to say resign Graovac?

I think if we got Krejci e.g. on a 1 year deal, I'd then go with someone cheap like Sheehan, unless Sutter was willing to really take a haircut for 1.5 or so. But maybe its a good time to move on too. I like bringing back Graovac for depth too, he can always be sent to Utica with no cap issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A guy who sits on the bench and is only called on to fight, that era is gone.

 

We need a boxer who can skate. We need another Rick Rypien (RIP)

 

You need someone who can make Hal Gill turn away:

 

 

Edited by VegasCanuck
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lmm said:

that is the issue I have with Jim

Hoglander, Paettersson, Manyukin, Palmu, Hughes, Rathbone (might grow) Madden

It seems Jimmer like his small skill guys but isnot so big on big skill guys

So he's not big on guys like Tryamkin, Gadjovich, McEwan or Podkolzin?  Huh, who knew.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

So he's not big on guys like Tryamkin, Gadjovich, McEwan or Podkolzin?  Huh, who knew.

 And Myers

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

So he's not big on guys like Tryamkin, Gadjovich, McEwan or Podkolzin?  Huh, who knew.

is he big on Tryamkin?

you forgot Mackenzie Stewart and El Jake

so who amoung those guys are going to anchor our defense forthe next 10 years?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough I spoke to JB maybe 3-4 years ago and told him IMO opponents do not respect Vcr. I can honestly say he pondered but did not disagree. The problem is you need guys that can skate, keep up, and adequate IQ to understand when and when not to drop the hammer. Frankly that's why I dropped the McIlrath. He's older ( mature ) has man strength rather than gym strength and he understand his role. The strange part is he's playing with Grand Rapid ( Detroit ) with ouy a call up. He's an UFA this summer. 6'5"/230

Link to post
Share on other sites

One interesting observation when watching games that Calgary and Las Vegas are in, is that it's all fine and dandy to have an enforcer but most of them aren't feared anymore except for maybe 3-4 around the league.  

 

All these tough guys act really quiet when you have a Lucic or Reaves on the other team.  

 

So yeah, I'd be up for having an enforcer but if his name isn't Samuel Morin then I'd rather pass. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no room in the NHL now for a player whose only use is fighting.

 

First a player has to be able to contribute on ice as a player.

 

If he can also hit and fight, that is a bonus.

 

Canucks already blew their opportunity to have their player/enforcer cake and eat it too... when Benning scr*wed the pooch on the Tryamkin signing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...