The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Will Lockwood

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. And second in scoring (and assists), in Utica, with 21 points in 24 games, while being tasked with some of the toughest minutes, as their primary 5v5 “matchup” centre and one of their main PKers. He still gets good second tier offensive opportunities (playing behind Sam Anas and the top line), but he has really established himself on the defensive side of the puck, while still managing to score points at a very high rate. 

Jasek really does it all. PP, evens, and PK. He brings high offensive production, very solid defensive contributions, wins faceoffs, drives possession, high energy and work ethic, good pace and skating, high compete level, dogged determination on loose pucks and recoveries, and is just difficult to play against.

He’s really showcasing the type of game in the AHL that you’d want to see from a player who might one day anchor a 4th line (or even a 3rd line) in the NHL.

EDIT: He also just seems to be a coach’s dream. Converted to centre, from his natural RW position, and just put his head down and got to work re-making himself into Utica’s matchup/shutdown centre, with all situations utility, while continuing to bring the offence. Never complains, just works hard, and does whatever is asked of him by his coaches. That type of mindset and work ethic can be just as important as talent and results, when transitioning into a lesser role, but at a higher level of competition.

Absolutely this. Shows that he is teachable and willing to do anything in order to help the team win. It shows humility, dedication, and shows that he can be a guy you can depend upon to give you what you need. To reinvent your game is hard and succeed is even more difficult. Jasek has done a very good job coming in adjusting from being just an offensive winger to a two way center.

Still bewilders me that he hasn't been given a look yet, what more does he has to do and prove to earn it? I like Graovac and Boyd in what they have done so far, but Jasek deserves a look. 

Like you said he seems to be a coach's dream, comes into the organization as a one dimensional player, reinvents himself to help the team win, works hard, goes about his business quietly, and shows improvement each season.

What is your speculation in why Jasek hasn't gotten a call up yet?

Makes sense, with cap and personnel decisions looming it's good to see what we've got in the system. Next season's roster will likely resemble the current roster, any moves we make will likely entail retaining players or promoting prospects. 

I'd be surprised to see us dipping our toes into the ufa market. Trades are tough to predict. 

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Too small though that’s the problem.

I know Motte has the heart of a lion but it doesn’t change the fact he’s undersized. We need more size in the bottom 6 to compete with likes of Vegas and Colorado.

That being said he was one of the only forwards we had that could match up with Vegas and actually do something, and that was playing against some pretty darn good players.    It's possible we try him as a C too.   That guys got heart for sure. 

18 hours ago, mll said:

They also only have 1 regular recall left.  They are only allowed 4 post TDL - Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone.  Graovac was up on emergency basis but MacEwen is available next game.  

Michaelis, MacEwen, Highmore, Boyd, Hawryluk, Vesey are roster players.  If they can play, they can’t use emergency recall and sit one. Unless further injuries they might have to already choose between Gadjovich and Lockwood for that final recall.  

Before people scream bloody murder when Lockwood doesn’t get into a game, don’t forget that getting an NHL paycheque is a big deal to these players. I don’t know if they all have two way contracts but the difference in pay is usually 5 to 10 fold. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Before people scream bloody murder when Lockwood doesn’t get into a game, don’t forget that getting an NHL paycheque is a big deal to these players. I don’t know if they all have two way contracts but the difference in pay is usually 5 to 10 fold. 

It’s AHL pay on the taxi squad.

I know playing kids is a good thing but who out of the kids is a expansion draft risk if they show well? 

If I was Seattle, I would rather round out my roster by grabbing NHL players from other teams and poaching one of our prospects for the future

5 hours ago, mll said:

It’s AHL pay on the taxi squad.

Interesting, so there is no more “press box” players earning an NHL paycheque?