The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gang Warfare in Metro Vancouver - Out of Control?

DonLever

It is ridiculous the way Gang Warfare is so out of control with murders occurring everyday.  Innocent bystanders are at a risk of getting killed by these gangsters.

Last week  a shooting took place outside of a toy store.  Today outside the Vancouver Airport.

Shooting at Vancouver airport linked to gangs in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, police say | CBC News

Edited by DonLever
  • Cheers 2

What the heck happened to Vancouver?!

I lived there between 2010-2012 and had a great experience there.  

Although it wasn’t perfect, I found the people to be quite cool for the most part.

When I visited there last year however, the “vibe” of the city had really changed.  

Just seemed really hostile and negative.

My hope is that all of this is just a result of Covid but the atmosphere in Vancouver had definitely changed.

• Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

What the heck happened to Vancouver?!

I lived there between 2010-2012 and had a great experience there.  

Although it wasn’t perfect, I found the people to be quite cool for the most part.

When I visited there last year however, the “vibe” of the city had really changed.  

Just seemed really hostile and negative.

My hope is that all of this is just a result of Covid but the atmosphere in Vancouver had definitely changed.

I too believe the vibe of the city has changed mainly due to Covid, gang violence has always been around and will continue regardless of whether Covid is here or not. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Good thing they are putting in more gun control. Sure helps with the gun smuggling, illegal firearms purchases, and stopping gang violence. 

Maybe if the feds put money into stiffer sentences, and more police enforcing the laws. 

I was stating revamped border unit to root out the smuggling a long-while back in a separate gun control thread.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Good thing they are putting in more gun control. Sure helps with the gun smuggling, illegal firearms purchases, and stopping gang violence. 

Maybe if the feds put money into stiffer sentences, and more police enforcing the laws. 

Yeah it’s very rare that crimes are committed by PAL holder’s and with legal firearms, I get an inspection at my home randomly to check on my restricted guns (only twice in the last year)  Maybe if they spent that time going after the real criminals and not some of the most responsible citizens this wouldn’t be an issue, but that doesn’t fit the narrative 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

the only solution remaining is to legalize drugs and create a safe supply. Take away their market and you won't have as many gangs. We're going to pay the social costs for drug use anyway so we might as well make it safer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the only solution remaining is to legalize drugs and create a safe supply. Take away their market and you won't have as many gangs. We're going to pay the social costs for drug use anyway so we might as well make it safer. 

That doesn’t work, they go into other activities (some even legal) right now the cartels in Mexico are making more money off avocados than drugs and also human trafficking across  the southern border. They need to be declared terrorists and wiped out by force and any politician aligned with the cartels needs to be taken out with them 

4 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

That doesn’t work, they go into other activities (some even legal) right now the cartels in Mexico are making more money off avocados than drugs and also human trafficking across  the southern border. They need to be declared terrorists and wiped out by force and any politician aligned with the cartels needs to be taken out with them 

we're not Mexico, things are far more out of control there. 

Its not the total solution, but to not at least decriminalize the drug supply and focus more on treatment is a mistake, imo. More money to IHIT won't do anything. 

Its working well in Portugal (https://www.mic.com/articles/110344/14-years-after-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening

The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."

https://www.realclearworld.com/2009/04/27/did_drug_legalization_work_in_portugal_100211.html#!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I too believe the vibe of the city has changed mainly due to Covid, gang violence has always been around and will continue regardless of whether Covid is here or not. 

I think it changed years before covid, but I'm sure it's amplified now. 

5 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

And law abiding citizen's should pick up their legal weapons, join the fight. To make sure things don't get out of hand...

Do I have your point correct?  :huh:

I hear they also grow great avocado's in the Okanogan. 

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It is still largely that

You're right on this one as apparently the shooting involved Indians.. 

As an Indian these people bring shame and embarrassment to the whole community. 

When will these people realize they're not good/cool at being gangsters or terrorists... thankfully the terrorist activity has stop because they know they suck at it lol. 

YVR shooting: 28-year-old victim understood to be UN gang member

Police are appealing for dashcam and cellphone footage from Vancouver Airport and from around Richmond as the killers fled at high speed
about 4 hours ago By:  Alan Campbell
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
1 / 2 Sunday's Vancouver Airport shooting victim is understood to be Karman Grewal (top left), seen here in an RCMP mugshot from around three years ago.
Expand
  • Sunday's Vancouver Airport shooting victim is understood to be Karman Grewal (top left), seen here in an RCMP mugshot from around three years ago.
  • A shooting at YVR airport had all major bridges and tunnel in Richmond closed off on Sunday afternoon.

As the public continues to try to wrap its head around a brazen, daytime execution outside YVR’s main terminal on Sunday afternoon, there are media reports naming the man shot dead.

According to Punjabi publication Chardhi Kala and the Vancouver Sun, the 28-year-old victim was Karman Grewal, of the United Nations (UN) gang.

The UN gang, added Chardhi Kala, has been in conflict with the rival Brothers Keepers Gang for many years and has predicted more violence in reaction to the Mother’s Day shooting.

News of the killing, which happened around 3 p.m. right outside the doors of the main terminal, spread quickly around the world, with the BBC also picking up the story.

Late Sunday night, Richmond RCMP’s Chief Supt. Will Ng held a press conference, along with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT), to condemn the targeted killing and appeal for dashcam footage from the public.

Ng called the shooting an "attack with no regard for public safety,” adding that “this generation of gangsters is taking things to another level.

https://www.richmond-news.com/local-news/yvr-shooting-28-year-old-victim-understood-to-be-un-gang-member-3765235

Edited by drummer4now
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Stiffer sentences doesn't work as a deterrent and leads to higher recidivism without the proper programs in place. You know what does work? Legalization and taxation of drugs. Take away their biggest revenue stream while sinking the profits into education and treatment. 

• Vintage 3