The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gang Warfare in Metro Vancouver - Out of Control?

DonLever

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Oh so you're just out for revenge? And if you want the system changed in that manner I'd suggest you're living in the wrong country and to move elsewhere more in line with your beliefs.  

Correct. And it does a better job of protecting the public by taking these individuals out permanently. But, okay, Passive Patty, keep up the status quo because it's working so &^@#ing well.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do these murderers fear prison?  It’s like a right of passage, or a badge of honour for them to serve time.  They even murder (target) prison guards, who are off duty.  

Clearly what we are currently doing isn’t working.  The gun violence is a daily occurrence now.  

Do we need to counsel the gangsters?  How about have them hug-out and talk through their differences?  These are violent criminals.  

Yes they are. But one only needs to look south and see just how amazing severe punishment works...don't be obtuse. I don't think they should ever be released but that more punishment doesn't work as a stop measure. That said on crime in general overall yes I do prefer rehabilitation to punishment a la US style. 

Their motivation is money/power. Take away their revenue streams and it would go a long long way to stopping this. 

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Correct. And it does a better job of protecting the public by taking these individuals out permanently. But, okay, Passive Patty, keep up the status quo because it's working so &^@#ing well.

See here you're making assumptions.  I never offered anything other than the death penalty doesn't work and costs more. I don't think these scumbags should see the light of day again. But a rant and rave on an unrealistic idea of killing them off in manner similar to despotic countries isn't doing $&!# to help either. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I asked earlier about the wrongfully convicted and am still wondering how to reverse an already carried out death sentence.

I asked because of stories like this

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michigan-man-exonerated-of-murder-after-32-years-in-prison/ar-AAKprDP?ocid=msedgntp

DETROIT (AP) — A man was exonerated Wednesday after 32 years in prison when authorities agreed that he was wrongly convicted of a fatal stabbing in suburban Detroit based on faulty evidence, including a bite mark on the victim.

For years, Gilbert Poole Jr. had challenged his first-degree murder conviction with expertise from the Innocence Project at WMU-Cooley Law School.

An Oakland County judge dismissed the conviction at the request of the Michigan attorney general's office, clearing the way a few hours later for Poole's release from a prison in Jackson.

“I spent decades learning, reading, studying law, but none of that was working for me,” Poole, 56, said in court. “It wasn’t until I surrendered to a higher power and God stepped in and sent me a band of angels to look past the rules and regulations and looked to see who was standing in the furnace. I was standing in the furnace. I didn’t belong here."

Poole was convicted in the fatal stabbing of Robert Mejia, whose body was found in a Pontiac field.

Poole’s girlfriend told police that he had confessed to her that he met Mejia in a bar and later killed him during a violent robbery attempt. A dentist linked Poole to a bite mark on the victim.

Poole repeatedly denied any role. In 2015, the Michigan Court of Appeals ordered DNA testing of biological material gathered by police in 1988. There was evidence of type A blood at the scene, which didn’t match Mejia’s or Poole’s blood.

“Someone else fought with Robert Mejia in the woods that early morning and someone else killed him,” Assistant Attorney General Robyn Frankel told the judge.

Attorney General Dana Nessel said the county prosecutor’s office, which handled the case in 1988-89, had no objection to vacating Poole’s conviction.

Bite mark evidence “has been widely debunked. It's not reliable anymore,” Nessel said. “Then you have here not just that but the advent of very reliable types of testing such as DNA.”

Poole's lawyer, Marla Mitchell-Cichon of the law school's Innocence Project, said an exoneration seemed out of reach at times.

“But we are thrilled that the truth has finally been established,” she said.

Nessel said Poole will be eligible for a variety of post-prison services, including housing assistance. She didn't address whether he would qualify for $1.6 million under Michigan's wrongful conviction compensation program.

The law grants $50,000 for each year spent in prison if someone is exonerated, typically because of new evidence.

___

51 minutes ago, gurn said:

I asked earlier about the wrongfully convicted and am still wondering how to reverse an already carried out death sentence.

I asked because of stories like this

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michigan-man-exonerated-of-murder-after-32-years-in-prison/ar-AAKprDP?ocid=msedgntp

DETROIT (AP) — A man was exonerated Wednesday after 32 years in prison when authorities agreed that he was wrongly convicted of a fatal stabbing in suburban Detroit based on faulty evidence, including a bite mark on the victim.

For years, Gilbert Poole Jr. had challenged his first-degree murder conviction with expertise from the Innocence Project at WMU-Cooley Law School.

An Oakland County judge dismissed the conviction at the request of the Michigan attorney general's office, clearing the way a few hours later for Poole's release from a prison in Jackson.

“I spent decades learning, reading, studying law, but none of that was working for me,” Poole, 56, said in court. “It wasn’t until I surrendered to a higher power and God stepped in and sent me a band of angels to look past the rules and regulations and looked to see who was standing in the furnace. I was standing in the furnace. I didn’t belong here."

Poole was convicted in the fatal stabbing of Robert Mejia, whose body was found in a Pontiac field.

Poole’s girlfriend told police that he had confessed to her that he met Mejia in a bar and later killed him during a violent robbery attempt. A dentist linked Poole to a bite mark on the victim.

Poole repeatedly denied any role. In 2015, the Michigan Court of Appeals ordered DNA testing of biological material gathered by police in 1988. There was evidence of type A blood at the scene, which didn’t match Mejia’s or Poole’s blood.

“Someone else fought with Robert Mejia in the woods that early morning and someone else killed him,” Assistant Attorney General Robyn Frankel told the judge.

Attorney General Dana Nessel said the county prosecutor’s office, which handled the case in 1988-89, had no objection to vacating Poole’s conviction.

Bite mark evidence “has been widely debunked. It's not reliable anymore,” Nessel said. “Then you have here not just that but the advent of very reliable types of testing such as DNA.”

Poole's lawyer, Marla Mitchell-Cichon of the law school's Innocence Project, said an exoneration seemed out of reach at times.

“But we are thrilled that the truth has finally been established,” she said.

Nessel said Poole will be eligible for a variety of post-prison services, including housing assistance. She didn't address whether he would qualify for $1.6 million under Michigan's wrongful conviction compensation program.

The law grants $50,000 for each year spent in prison if someone is exonerated, typically because of new evidence.

___

The Innocence Files on Netflix is an outstanding documentary about the Innocence Project and I believe the first episode is about bite mark evidence basically being pseudo science at best. Of couse, the nations leading bite mark investigator had a great deal of difficulty admitting he was wrong despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Disturbing news when you consider how many people have been convicted on bite mark evidence alone. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2021 at 10:32 AM, Alflives said:

Criminals seem to all have guns.  Do the rest of us need guns now to protect ourselves?  Or do we all start wearing body armour?  It’s becoming like the USA up here for gun violence in the streets.  

Guns are FOMO, most people in the U.S don’t need any guns.

But according to GOP, Fox, Breitbart, TGP, NRA etc. we need as many as possible.

County that I live in, had 6 gun related homicides in 2020, population is 925 000.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Guns are FOMO, most people in the U.S don’t need any guns.

But according to GOP, Fox, Breitbart, TGP, NRA etc. we need as many as possible.

County that I live in, had 6 gun related homicides in 2020, population is 925 000.

Is there going back in the US though?  I’m hoping we up here have a chance to keep guns (specifically hand guns) out of the public.  But people can still have them here.  The shootings that are happening up here now are almost a daily occurrence.  Didn’t get a lot you wrote.  Lots of things I’m not familiar with.   

Edited by Alflives

3 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The Innocence Files on Netflix is an outstanding documentary about the Innocence Project and I believe the first episode is about bite mark evidence basically being pseudo science at best. Of couse, the nations leading bite mark investigator had a great deal of difficulty admitting he was wrong despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Disturbing news when you consider how many people have been convicted on bite mark evidence alone. 

I don’t anyone should be convicted based on bite marks alone, it’s not like the DNA.

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there going back in the US though?  I’m hoping we up here have a chance to keep guns (specifically hand guns) out of the public.  But people can still have them here.  The shootings that are happening up here now are almost a daily occurrence.  Didn’t get a lot you wrote.  Lots of things I’m not familiar with.   

Most people don’t need guns because crime is not that high but fear mongers tell people otherwise.

Gun lobby and right wing media are at forefront of spreading the fear.

Stories that the government will confiscate your guns is one of the tactics that they use.

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Most people don’t need guns because crime is not that high but fear mongers tell people otherwise.

Gun lobby and right wing media are at forefront of spreading the fear.

Stories that the government will confiscate your guns is one of the tactics that they use.

I understand why some people have rifles.  But I see no reason for the public having hand guns.  Sadly theses gang members here appear to be armed often with hand guns.