The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets l May 10, 5 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

24 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So next year we know Juolevi Rathbone and Hughes will play. 

So will myers and Schmidt. 

Hamonic hopefully comes back. Do they re-sign Edler? 

IF he accepts a thin, meager slice of cap-pie..then possibly.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It seems interesting to me that the team looks much better now that some young guys are in the lineup.

Next game I want to see:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gadjovich

MacEwan-Graovac-Lind

Highmore-Boyd-Hawryluk

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

I mean, why not.

Edler needs his 100th goal.

• Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Sitting out OJ continues to baffle me. I guess who do they take out? I can’t see Rathbone sitting out a game ever again. Looks legit.

Wish there was some real clarity. Green not comfortable with him? Cap? Bonuses? Cautious of past injuries? I understood there was some Cap stuff previously but after Benn was gone shouldn’t have been a issue? 

Maybe they saving him so he can still be a rookie next year and win the Calder? LOL

There hasn’t really been anything in my view that signals bad play etc? I continue to be baffled on this one 

Maybe he's not 100% I think we see him full time next season but he's going to need to work on his conditioning.

• Hydration 1

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

Maybe he wants to see the kid get a legit hat trick for his 1st? He'll get one too, another star is in the making here on the Canucks.

$&!#ty season, but again the future looks bright in several regards.

Not sure why it wouldnt be a legit one though. Would have been nice for the kid. Nice story to end a $&!#ty year too.

• Like 1
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, nergish said:

Schmidt actually has good underlying numbers, but the eye test doesn’t look great. He hasn’t been a perfect fit.

I'm a big Edler fan but his play has really dropped off after 3 really good seasons. Even if Edler is brought back I think we see Rathbone, or Joulevi with Nate next season. Elder should be a 6-7 next season if the young kids show well in camp. If he's fine with being a #7 and paid like one that would be a good fit for him I think. No dcore ever makes it unscathed so having a guy like Eagle available is a good option.

• Hydration 2

The more I see him play, the more I think Rathbone and Schmidt could be a good pairing and it would allow Schmidt to play more his style. Juolevi and Myers can take some shutdown minutes. Hughes and Hamonic (if he is back on a reasonable deal) or if they can get a guy like Larsson or Savard cheap enough (not likely).

I just don't see a spot for Edler if the team wants to improve.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I could be wrong but Hoglander was out right before the goalie was pulled and the puck was iced 2 or 3 times. They panned to the bench just before the last icing and both Hogs and Brock were standing up waiting for a change. 

I actually agree with you. I felt like if the Canucks weren't caught out on the ice for that long, we would have seen Hogs. 

I think Green wanted to give him the last shift of the game but that never happened as we kept icing it. 

I'll try to find a shift chart and see when Hogs took his last shift VS how many shift changes occurred with the goalie pulled. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I actually agree with you. I felt like if the Canucks weren't caught out on the ice for that long, we would have seen Hogs. 

I think Green wanted to give him the last shift of the game but that never happened as we kept icing it. 

I'll try to find a shift chart and see when Hogs took his last shift VS how many shift changes occurred with the goalie pulled. 

Iirc, winnipeg took a time out with the goalie pulled. I dont think Green used his before that. He could have used it then and put Hoglander out. Kid seemed to be ready to go either way though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

I'm with you there. I thought he was playing well, but we needed to showcase Benn. Now, I'm truly baffled.

The prevailing theory is that OJ will reach a bonus threshold if he plays more games and management is trying to add that bonus onto the cap which we desperately need. 

Not sure how OJ will like that but he ain't in much of a position to whine about it. 

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Iirc, winnipeg took a time out with the goalie pulled. I dont think Green used his before that. He could have used it then and put Hoglander out. Kid seemed to be ready to go either way though. 

LOL I just rewatched the final few minutes. 

Hogs last shift ended with 2:37 left in which there was a whistle. 

Horvat line then came on and played until there was 1:31 left and whistle blew on an offside.  Winnipeg then took a time out. 

At this point, with 2 whistles and a timeout, 3 minutes have elapsed (in real time not game time) since Hogs left the ice.  Horvat line has been out for a full minute and 6 seconds until this point. Guess which line starts after the timeout? Horvat line for the remainder of the game. 

So there you have it, Horvat Pearson and Highmore stayed out for the final 2:37 of the game with Brock jumping on for 1 shift instead of Highmore. 

This was a conscious decision by Green to seal the game with Horvat and Pearson rather than playing Hogs after the timeout. That was a dumb move considering faceoff was in the neutral zone to start at 1:31 left and goalie pulled. 

If you wanted Horvat and Pearson to finish the game, at least throw Hogs on with them.. 

Jeez... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL I just rewatched the final few minutes. 

Hogs last shift ended with 2:37 left in which there was a whistle. 

Horvat line then came on and played until there was 1:31 left and whistle blew on an offside.  Winnipeg then took a time out. 

At this point, with 2 whistles and a timeout, 3 minutes have elapsed (in real time not game time) since Hogs left the ice.  Horvat line has been out for a full minute and 6 seconds until this point. Guess which line starts after the timeout? Horvat line for the remainder of the game. 

So there you have it, Horvat Pearson and Highmore stayed out for the final 2:37 of the game with Brock jumping on for 1 shift instead of Highmore. 

This was a conscious decision by Green to seal the game with Horvat and Pearson rather than playing Hogs after the timeout. That was a dumb move considering faceoff was in the neutral zone to start at 1:31 left and goalie pulled. 

If you wanted Horvat and Pearson to finish the game, at least throw Hogs on with them.. 

Jeez... 

Ya, I think its more about trying to play up Highmore after trading for him tbh (who has played well dont get me wrong) but Hoglander has played most of the season with Pearson and Horvat. Its not like he couldnt be trusted with a 2 goal lead.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ya, I think its more about trying to play up Highmore after trading for him tbh (who has played well dont get me wrong) but Hoglander has played most of the season with Pearson and Horvat. Its not like he couldnt be trusted with a 2 goal lead.

All I know is, Gaudette would have had hit butt plastered to the bench tonight.

• Vintage 1

It is common knowledge to avoid the PGT after a loss, but that the thread is flooded with moaning and whining even after a win is something new. You guys are really reaching for new heights. :unsure:

The win is meaningless! It cost us 1st overall! Höglander will be ruined forever in all universes because he didn't get the hatty! Green is the worstestest coach in all sports and non-sport ever. And before that. Come on!

Ttrpg Do Better GIF by zoefannet

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

If we ever make the playoffs I want our first round opponent to be the Jets.

well, with that record i prefer playing against the Jets in the Western Conference Final :) 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Do you think they are thinikng of not protecting him at the entry draft and want to limit his exposure?

I have no clue either...

If they leave him unprotected its almost guaranteed Seattle will take him imo. He looks like an every day nhl dman now. Still needs work of course.

We will find out very soon what the plan is for Juolevi and whether or not him not playing is because he isnt in the plans. If Edler is re-signed before the expansion draft its likely Juolevi will be exposed or traded.

Edit: I should note, my personal feeling is that would be a colossal mistake by the Canucks.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

Posted (edited)

I like the win, as a participation type trophy (team morale ?); kinda bittersweet - for me - cause the goal right now (imo) should be to maximize this losing season by giving us the best chance to win the lottery cup.   Nothing new though cause this has happen before, were the team goes on a late season winning streak: which only decreases the chance of winning the lottery - good thing JB is doing the drafting, at the very least.

Anyways - GCG !

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Wish those media types had done their jobs & asked the ‘obvious’ question of Green, so that he could answer it, one way or another - and simply put a controversy to rest. 

But, yes - Green needed to make far better efforts to deploy Hoglander in the closing minute(s):

1) to reward the kid for excellent play on the night

2) to reward some very impatient & deserving fans with a little extra  excitement, in those closing moments.

^The fans watching at home needed to be a part of Greener’s consideration, here, too…particularly in a foresaken season, when the team had provided far less excitement than what was originally  anticipated, before this season began. 

Edited by viking mama