The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A Look into the Future Cap Situation

On 5/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, HKSR said:

Which part?  Unloading plugs like Virtanen, Beagle, and Roussel?  Who knows... that's literally the hardest part I would think of all of this lol.

Beagle will likely be on LTIR all next year.

Virtanen is likely done in Vancouver. Will likely have his contract either terminated for violating his code of conduct clause, or will be bought out. Because of how his contract was structured, he would actually only cost us 50,000 against the cap next season and 500,000 the following.

Roussel will be back next season. He hasn't been as good since that leg injury in his first season with us, but he was really good that first year. Will see how he looks at the start of next season, if he's not performing, he will be traded, waived or sent down to Abbotsford.

LE will be bought out this summer, unless he finally retires. If bought out, he will only count as 4 million against the cap for next season and 1 million the following season.

We actually look pretty good going into next season with some fairly minor repositioning.

Don't be surprised if Sutter is back for around 1.75 million for 1 season. 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  But both Petey and Hughes will sign bridge contracts.  

Something around 5-6 x 3

I think you're pretty close on this. I think somewhere between 12 - 13.5 million combined for 2 - 3 years.

I think if people look at what Tkachuk signed a full year before covid as a benchmark and then adjust down a little for the fact that it's a flat cap, I think both are somewhere between 6, maybe as high as 6.5 million on extensions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Someone from the media suggested with the same agents maybe EP and QH will work to have identical deals like how Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane did their's 

They will likely be similar to each other, but not in terms of money. Toews and Kane were in their prime when they signed those deals. If you look at their second contracts, 6.3 million cap hits, figure in a flat cap, we're probably around 6 million each. 

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Beagle will likely be on LTIR all next year.

Virtanen is likely done in Vancouver. Will likely have his contract either terminated for violating his code of conduct clause, or will be bought out. Because of how his contract was structured, he would actually only cost us 50,000 against the cap next season and 500,000 the following.

Roussel will be back next season. He hasn't been as good since that leg injury in his first season with us, but he was really good that first year. Will see how he looks at the start of next season, if he's not performing, he will be traded, waived or sent down to Abbotsford.

LE will be bought out this summer, unless he finally retires. If bought out, he will only count as 4 million against the cap for next season and 1 million the following season.

We actually look pretty good going into next season with some fairly minor repositioning.

Don't be surprised if Sutter is back for around 1.75 million for 1 season. 

I heard a tweet from a couple of weeks ago when Beagle was back practicing with the team in a non-contact jersey, so I wouldn't be too sure that he is on LTIR all next year. Unlikely to be back this season though. It would be good to hear an update on his injury and prognosis.

I agree that LE and Virtanen will be bought out (or possibly JV has contract terminated).

I was hoping this thread would be focused more on the longer term future than just next season. There was little bit in the OP about 2022 and beyond, but most of the discussion has focused on next season and assumptions that I think are moot points.

Regarding next season, whether JB (or whoever our GM is) manages to move out Holtby, Beagle, Roussel, etc doesn't really impact beyond next year. By the end of next season all those older players will have moved on one way or another, and that is actually when it gets really interesting because we will have a lot of cap space, plenty of roster flexibility, a bunch of 'still young' prospects developing within the NHL (and hopefully all our picks to keep restocking our farm system).

I am keen to hear how people see our roster shaping up for 2022-23...we currently only have 7 players signed for that season...what will it look like?

On 5/11/2021 at 9:02 AM, HKSR said:

A simple example is if the Canucks spent EXACTLY to $81.5M which INCLUDES Ferland's salary.  Then the Canucks place him on LTIR.  Now the Canucks can replace his $3.5M with another $3.5M worth of player(s).  So the net result is the cap that the Canucks have to work with is $81.5 + 3.5 = $85M (the new ACSL).

I was interested in discussing the future but couldn't resist replying to the LTIR conversation...

Your statement above is correct. But the problem lies in the fact that in your OP you do not have Ferland's cap hit included in the $80.8m total. If you included Ferland's cap hit, then YES you would be able to get up to $3.5m of cap relief and be able to spend up to $85m.

In leaving his cap hit out of the total and spending beyond $78.0m, you are effectively already using Ferland's cap relief.

Edited by BigTramFan

On 5/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, HKSR said:

What about this preseason and Hamonic?

In my scenario, the Canucks are pretty much right up against the cap.  So their ACSL will likely be in the $83M to $84M range. 

Might be terminology but the ACSL can be at most 81.5M.  Only LTIR money exceeds the cap.  

When a team goes in LTIR, it’s the ACSL that sets the cap space they have for their regular roster (including buyouts, overages, etc).  Teams will typically lose some cap space by using LTIR and will aim to get the ACSL as close as possible to the max cap of 81.5M when they go in LTIR. 

This season’s ACSL is 81.49M per CapFriendly - they lost only some 10K in cap space for their regular roster (including Luongo, buyouts, overages) by using LTIR.

Edited by mll

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I heard a tweet from a couple of weeks ago when Beagle was back practicing with the team in a non-contact jersey, so I wouldn't be too sure that he is on LTIR all next year. Unlikely to be back this season though. It would be good to hear an update on his injury and prognosis.

I agree that LE and Virtanen will be bought out (or possibly JV has contract terminated).

If he is, its actually a good thing. People are overly hard on Beagle because he doesn't provide much offense, but we are a harder team to beat when he's in the lineup. He's one of the most fit guys on the team and our penalty kill is absolutely better when he's on the ice defending.

Too many fans get hung up on offense, but it takes more than just offense to win games, you have to disrupt the other teams' offense as well.

Would be happy to see him back next season to complete his contract.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:10 PM, BigTramFan said:

I was hoping this thread would be focused more on the longer term future than just next season. There was little bit in the OP about 2022 and beyond, but most of the discussion has focused on next season and assumptions that I think are moot points.

Regarding next season, whether JB (or whoever our GM is) manages to move out Holtby, Beagle, Roussel, etc doesn't really impact beyond next year. By the end of next season all those older players will have moved on one way or another, and that is actually when it gets really interesting because we will have a lot of cap space, plenty of roster flexibility, a bunch of 'still young' prospects developing within the NHL (and hopefully all our picks to keep restocking our farm system).

I am keen to hear how people see our roster shaping up for 2022-23...we currently only have 7 players signed for that season...what will it look like?

I did this one just for you lol