The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Höglander 80 points or higher potential

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

He is getting a lot of premium minutes during to injuries... he is making the most of it, but he will likely get pushed down the depth chart.  That will especially be the case if they actually move to a PP with both Hughes and Rathbone, so there may be fewer minutes for forwards.

History shows that about 25-33% of 2nd/3rd rounders become NHL regulars... so Hoglander is beating expectations already.  If we can get a 40-60 point winger out of that pick we are doing well.

• Vintage 1

potential? sure. likely? no. in fact, I'd say the safest thing would be to expect regression over the next couple of years rather than stratospheric progression. 

it's almost never linear. 

• Vintage 1

If Hoglander wasn't generating chances I might disagree with 80 points but he has done just that in the majority of his games this year. I don't think Pearson kicks him down to the 3rd. He has the ability to drive a line. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

If he can become a 40-50 point guy who works hard at both ends that's already fantastic, anything more would be gravy. 

I don't expect him to be a two way guy, I just ask for a good effort in the defensive zone. You need guys who are primarily offensive players. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

His performance justifies being penciled in as a top-6 LW. This potentially allows a guy like Miller becoming a C, thereby creating a roster with 3 lines of gunpowder.

Should guys like VP & Lockwood hit the ground running, our fwd-cast will be deeep & ELCheap!

• Like 3

The way he battles for and carries the puck... I don't see why he can't eventually be an 80 point guy. He carries and protects the puck better than most of our team as a rookie... a rookie on a basement team playing against top competition no less

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

The way he battles for and carries the puck... I don't see why he can't eventually be an 80 point guy. He carries and protects the puck better than most of our team as a rookie... a rookie on a basement team playing against top competition no less

His skating is elite. Probably the best on the team even now…as a 20 year old.

36 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Getting way ahead of yourself here . 60 point guy is more likely 

Honestly sure 80 points would be wishful think but if you deep dive into how he plays kinda reminds me of Brayden point. Could hog get 80-90 points (82 games season of course) in Tampa on the top line? Probably. Can we build a team like that probably not :( 

also I’m talk when he’s a little more developed 

49 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Did we draft a kid in the 2nd round that has the potential to be a 80+ point player? The Hög barely played much pp this year. Mighta been the steal of the 2019 draft. Whats his potential fellow crazy canucks.

At this point, I think Pettersson is barely a consistent 80 point guy and Petey > Hogs, so not in my opinion.

• Cheers 1