The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 11:00 PM

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's always more difficult to produce in the playoffs.

Point per game players typically become .6ppg players.

I'm no fan of Matthews or Marner - don't care for their attitudes, their arrogance - but at the same time - to be fair - they are not really to blame for this loss.

You generate offense as a unit - as a team - you can't simply hang it all on a couple forwards.  Those two had a slight edge/advantage at 5on5 - if they'd gotten beaten soundly - then you can lay more blame on them.

The Leafs lost - as a whole. 

There's nothing particularly surprising about it - they're not 'cursed' - they're just not a very well built team - certainly not when push comes to shove.  Whose fault is that, really?

Well both are making over $10M.  They are expected to produce in regular season and the playoffs.  Their contracts are crippling the team from having depth and D.

Just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's always more difficult to produce in the playoffs.

Point per game players typically become .6ppg players.

I'm no fan of Matthews or Marner - don't care for their attitudes, their arrogance - but at the same time - to be fair - they are not really to blame for this loss.

You generate offense as a unit - as a team - you can't simply hang it all on a couple forwards.  Those two had a slight edge/advantage at 5on5 - if they'd gotten beaten soundly - then you can lay more blame on them.

The Leafs lost - as a whole. 

There's nothing particularly surprising about it - they're not 'cursed' - they're just not a very well built team - certainly not when push comes to shove.  Whose fault is that, really?

There's been quite a few point per game or better players in this playoffs. Neither Marner nor Matthews are even close. They don't even make the top 50 players in pts per game. I think that's a big problem compared to their salary. If they were making 6-8m sure, give them a pass... 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

To be fair everyone discounted Montreal and almost everyone knew Montreal would be laughed out of the series.. it was almost a sure bet..

Its unreal how Leafs collapsed, honestly no one saw this coming  if you actually pay attention to the experts of the game, the media, the people who live and breath hockey they all said Leafs are a sure bet to go deep

Everyone is shocked.

These people who "live and breathe hockey" all get income or promotion from Rogers. They are simply towing the company line. To be real. Anyone who knows hockey and isn't biased can see how poorly constructed this team is for the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

that's the perfect negotiation tactic, show them the oilers and leafs so they know what happens when you are too greedy, then show them colorado

The Sedins being selfless players is what allowed us to build such a deep team in 2011.

The rest of the team then bought in and followed suit. 

Horvat has already done that. 

Miller is also in a good contract. 

We need the rest of the young guys to follow. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Well both are making over $10M.  They are expected to produce in regular season and the playoffs.  Their contracts are crippling the team from having depth and D.

Just my opinion. 

They're only half of the 4 forward 40+ million equation though.

And they didn't make those decisions.

You can win with two players making 20+ million - if you balance the rest of your build.  The Leafs did not / do not. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There's been quite a few point per game or better players in this playoffs. Neither Marner nor Matthews are even close. They don't even make the top 50 players in pts per game. I think that's a big problem compared to their salary. If they were making 6-8m sure, give them a pass... 

It's not a 'pass' - it's assigning responsibility where it belongs imo - not solely on those two.

A better built team - a better blueline for example - and those two produce more....

It's a team game - a unit game.

I see the failure as Dubas'  and Spamaplan's.   They built that team - not Matthews or Marner (and like I said, I'm not a fan of either of them - but if the Leafs want things to change - complaining about a pair of 23 year olds is not the answer.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

They're only half of the 4 forward 40+ million equation though.

And they didn't make those decisions.

You can win with two players making 20+ million - if you balance the rest of your build.  The Leafs did not / do not. 

Either way.  The team is screwed.  They need to trade at least 2 high priced players.

• Cheers 2