The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 11:00 PM

Make no mistake... the Leafs have a lot more talent overall.

But this came down to two factors.

One was obvious... Carey Price.

The other was Team Defense.

Every single Montreal player bought into the system... which was play physical, disrupt the Leafs offense in the neutral zone by getting on them quickly, and JUMP JUMP JUMP on the puck... Montreal was a step faster in all these last three games.

You could see the urgency in the Habs game even in their line changes... no lazy move to the bench, they were hustling to get there.

By the way... if anyone thinks Burr didn't have anything to do with this... I can sell you some great swamp property in Florida.  Burr is going to be an NHL head coach and I know he was there in the dressing room firing the team up and making smart coaching decisions behind the bench.  I just hope he ends up in Vancouver instead of the lame bunch we have here now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.  Benning traded the 20th OA for JT Miller, a fantastic power forward with elite skill.  Dubas traded the 20th OA for Nick Foligno.  :lol:

Scared Tim Burton GIFDubas when Toffoli buried the team with the empty netter. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I beg to differ. I think a lot of GMs would want Marner on their team, even with his price tag. There’s not many wingers that can respectively play well at both ends of the ice and Marner is one of them. 

Good at both ends? He gets knocked off the puck to easily. Giveaways. He can't elevate or adjust to playoff hockey. For 6 or 7 million sure. 11.5 makes him borderline untradeable unless a long, tenured contract is coming back. 

25 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

By the way... if anyone thinks Burr didn't have anything to do with this... I can sell you some great swamp property in Florida.  Burr is going to be an NHL head coach and I know he was there in the dressing room firing the team up and making smart coaching decisions behind the bench.  I just hope he ends up in Vancouver instead of the lame bunch we have here now.

Exactly what a good coach does. Push the right buttons under pressure. 

Malhotra is going to be a gamer too. 

My dark horse now is Hansen. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

To be fair everyone discounted Montreal and almost everyone knew Montreal would be laughed out of the series.. it was almost a sure bet..

Its unreal how Leafs collapsed, honestly no one saw this coming  if you actually pay attention to the experts of the game, the media, the people who live and breath hockey they all said Leafs are a sure bet to go deep

Everyone is shocked.

I wouldn't go that far. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Thanks for a very fun Series / GDT here folks.

Not sure I can remember a thread with so much 'unity' in here lol.

And damn if it didn't turn out like almost all of us hoped.

Good times.

It was high quality viewing, ON.

& I daresay, our long-standing 'healthy' skepticism on the composition of this supposed Leafer-juggernaut, has been comprehensively vindicated! Cheers.

• Cheers 2

Oh yeah, although I am cheering for the Habs... I think the Jets have them outclassed.

Toronto might choke, but Winnipeg's big forwards, very talented defense Vezina Class goaltender are going to be hard for Montreal to overcome.

I would have picked the Jets to beat either Toronto or Montreal... I don't think their season point total reflected the team's potential.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good at both ends? He gets knocked off the puck to easily. Giveaways. He can't elevate or adjust to playoff hockey. For 6 or 7 million sure. 11.5 makes him borderline untradeable unless a long, tenured contract is coming back. 

Yeah, I’m sure if he were terrible in his own end, he wouldn’t be leading his team in SH minutes (amongst forwards). He’s also 7th in the league (amongst wingers), in that category. 

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$11 million for a winger who can't score in the playoffs when it matters the most?  I think most GM's would take a hard pass on that one.  Marner literally got outplayed by Nylander.  By alot.  You really have to suck to get outplayed by Nylander.

Marner isn’t a goal scorer. You can’t put the blame on him, when your linemates can’t put the puck in the net. This game alone, he created 3 good scoring chances that Hyman couldn’t bury.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This shows exactly why Marner isn't a playoff performer. He isn't choking. He's afraid to get hit. He's great at prancing around the ice with all the open space in the world during the regular season, but once the playoffs start and the physicality ramps up he'd rather throw the puck away than hold on to it to score if it means being on the receiving end of a check.

• Cheers 1