The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 11:00 PM

I watched the video where toronto “blessed” their front line workers with tickets to...the game...before they knew , and after I saw the coup de grace, so to speak. 

I thought it was going to be funny. It wasnt. Im pretty sure those medical professionals would be better off spending time with their loved ones, far away from the illness. 

:picard:

MacLean asking Bieksa on the panel if he'd trade a Marner or Nylander for Seth Jones?

I mean - I'm not going to paraphrase Bieksa's response - of course you make that move....

But seriously Toronto - what a pipe dream.

Why tf would Columbus deal Seth Jones for a little winger?

What a horrible move that would be for the CBJ.

And what a gift it would be to a Leafs team that should have listened to Babcock ages ago.

Gonna guess here - that a move like this never happens.

Seth Jones hits the market - you absolutely have to believe that they manage to get a top pairing defenseman back in that deal...

Btw - the CBJ have these RWs named Laine, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson....if there's one organizational need that is not one, it's adding another scoring right winger.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He has to do some of that work himself. Pettersson has learned that the hard way, but is way better at dealing with physicality than Marner.

Is he though?

Marner played 55 regular season games

Pettersson played 26

while I'm on that rant

Why do people love Motte?

24 games this year and 34 last

Petey and Motte did not combine for a full season

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

:picard:

MacLean asking Bieksa on the panel if he'd trade a Marner or Nylander for Seth Jones?

I mean - I'm not going to paraphrase Bieksa's response - of course you make that move....

But seriously Toronto - what a pipe dream.

Why tf would Columbus deal Seth Jones for a little winger?

What a horrible move that would be for the CBJ.

And what a gift it would be to a Leafs team that should have listened to Babcock ages ago.

Gonna guess here - that a move like this never happens.

Seth Jones hits the market - you absolutely have to believe that they manage to get a top pairing defenseman back in that deal...

Btw - the CBJ have these RWs named Laine, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson....if there's one organizational need that is not one, it's adding another scoring right winger.

If TO wants Seth Jones it's going to cost them AM. Seth is a legit top five defenseman in the NHL, young, and a righty to boot. I have no doubt he will receive Norris nominations soon enough. TO fans may laugh at AM for Jones but Matthews finished fifth in leugue for scoring, has a suspect playoff history, has only three years on his deal before UFA. I agree that Marner for Jones is laughable and I suspect AM is the take it or leave it offer from the Blue Jackets. 

I think people are being a little tough on Marner and Mathews.

They both are extremely skilled players who work together really well.

Their problem in this series was not taking the step up and battling through the physicality which Montreal threw at them.

But that is probably more a reflection on the coaching than them personally.

It should have been obvious whichever team played the Leafs would go for the hard shut down on these two.

Sheldon Keefe should have known that, and prepared these two relatively inexperienced players.  He should have had them coming out breathing fire out of their noses and ready to battle through.  Especially after the first game and what happened there.

They are still a really strong duo to build around... too bad Dubas squandered a lot of his resources thinking this was the year.

Oh yeah...  I think there was a good chance T.O. would have won if Tavares was not injured.  He has the character and the net front presence which probably would have made the difference.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

17 hours ago, rekker said:

He's a decent player. 11 million per for a winger who is easy to shut down in the playoffs? Not even close and that price tag lowers his overall value imho.

I bet you were one of those fans that ragged on the Sedins’ and Naslund’s lack of playoffs performances during their first few years. Not everyone can be a Toews, Crosby, Sakic, or Yzerman. Some take longer to dial up a notch in the playoffs, while some simply hit the “on” switch right away.  Even hockey legends like Dionne and Esposito (in his earlier years) were notorious for choking in the playoffs.

We’ve seen what Marner can do in the playoffs. He was probably the Leafs’ best player in that Bruins series two years ago. These two past playoffs runs shouldn’t be an indication of him been a playoff choke artist. It’s just part of the learning curve.

8 hours ago, rekker said:

What's always impressed me about Petey is how hard he works to get the puck back when his team doesn't have possession. AM and Marner are more into the "let my teammates get the puck back for me"

This video proves otherwise.

FYI, he led his team in takeaways with 53, that puts him 5th in the entire league.

Edited by shiznak

8 hours ago, lmm said:

Is he though?

Marner played 55 regular season games

Pettersson played 26

while I'm on that rant

Why do people love Motte?

24 games this year and 34 last

Petey and Motte did not combine for a full season

Petey didn't faulter when he played big teams like Minnesota, St Louis and Vegas. He played physical. Marner does not do that whatsoever. He becomes shy and hesitant and is afraid to make plays. I think thats the type of physicality the poster was talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

FYI, he led his team in takeaways with 53, that puts him 5th in the entire league.

And even with his regular season successes MM is still a big time no show in the playoffs, right?  11 mil per is a lot to pay for no goals, and the odd takeaway.  In the playoffs MM plays small, soft, and timid.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

I bet you were one of those fans that ragged on the Sedins’ and Naslund’s lack of playoffs performances during their first few years. Not everyone can be a Toews, Crosby, Sakic, or Yzerman. Some take longer to dial up a notch in the playoffs, while some simply hit the “on” switch right away.  Even hockey legends like Dionne and Esposito (in his earlier years) were notorious for choking in the playoffs.

We’ve seen what Marner can do in the playoffs. He was probably the Leafs’ best player in that Bruins series two years ago. These two past playoffs runs shouldn’t be an indication of him been a playoff choke artist. It’s just part of the learning curve.

None of the players you mentionned went the RFA route that Marner did. He's making 11 million. The sedins during the Art Ross years and Finals/President's trophy years were barely making half of that. It wasn't long enough ago where you can really take into account the cap inflation. He's making top money and isn't performing like a top player. End of story really. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Absolutely not. I was one of the few that believed in the twins. Even as youngsters the twins could take the punishment needed to make a play and their puck possession skills were there. Oh, and they weren't the highest paid in the NHL at that time. I believe Marner is the highest paid winger in the NHL, think about that, the highest paid winger in the NHL and he disappeared this post season. He's scared of contact, literally. His trade value at the moment is based on a mix of sklll, underwhelming playoffs, bad contract. If he isn't putting up points he's useless. Their PP was brutal and he's paid to make it work with his passing. Borderline cap dump at this point. 11 million per? Flat cap? Good luck with that TO. 

• Like 1

Oh, picking hilites of the highest paid winger in the NHL is entertaining for sure. Especially in this year's crap North Division. No need to post this years playoff successes or his contract though,  I've seen enough of that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Absolutely not. I was one of the few that believed in the twins. Even as youngsters the twins could take the punishment needed to make a play and their puck possession skills were there. Oh, and they weren't the highest paid in the NHL at that time. I believe Marner is the highest paid winger in the NHL, think about that, the highest paid winger in the NHL and he disappeared this post season. He's scared of contact, literally. His trade value at the moment is based on a mix of sklll, underwhelming playoffs, bad contract. If he isn't putting up points he's useless. Their PP was brutal and he's paid to make it work with his passing. Borderline cap dump at this point. 11 million per? Flat cap? Good luck with that TO. 

Marner is tradable, but money is coming back.  Something like for Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty.  Although those guys aren’t leaving Cali.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Marner is tradable, but money is coming back.  Something like for Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty.  Although those guys aren’t leaving Cali.  

Exactly, that was my original point. He has some skills but no way is Toronto trading that contract without a sizeable contract from a somewhat underperforming player coming back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Exactly, that was my original point. He has some skills but no way is Toronto trading that contract without a sizeable contract from a somewhat underperforming player coming back.

Dubas would be smarter trading Matthews to a US market for a serious return.  What would the Coyotes owner give up to get Matthews?  Likely too much.  But the Leafs aren’t trading their Richard winner.  They will instead see him walk in two years.