The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

I hope they choke though, but of course it will all be swept under the rug and the Tavares injury will be the excuse, and a good one at that. But the reality is the leafs aren't a hard working team like the Canadians, Jets, Islanders, Bruins, Hurricanes, and they don't have the depth of teams like Vegas, Avalanche and Lightning and even with Tavares in the line up they are out matched in defensive systems and structure by all the teams left in the playoffs

Nice paragraph. But you realize you just screwed yourself out of any future with Sportsnet and Rogers, lol.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd rather him make videos of over the top reactions, than fans hiring an airplane with a firebenning banner or hanging a banner outside of Rogers Arena. 

I am not a fan of that kind of "media" I guess. Screaming and yelling and acting like an idiot is just not entertaining to me. Probably because I am old enough to remember when not everything had to be lowest common denominator entertainment.

I have no problem with people protesting. It doesnt bother me if someone flies a plane with a banner or puts a banner outside Rogers arena. Maybe because those two things dont force me to have to listen to them scream and yell and act like unhinged lunatics. Maybe they are but at least its quiet lol.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice paragraph. But you realize you just screwed yourself out of any future with Sportsnet and Rogers, lol.

Haha, only downside to that is I wouldnt get to be a part of the John and John show

Edited by Wanless
  • Hydration 1

If Habs can win, I’d be overjoyed, but odds are still very much with Leafs. 
This series reminds me of Canucks in round 1 of 1994 run, against Flames. Canucks won game 1, then lost 3 straight, then fought back with 3 consecutive overtime wins. 

Not many teams can come back when down 3-1 in the series. Here’s hoping Habs have one more surprise win in them.

• Like 1

The Leaf fans are not happy.   Here are some of the comments.

• Thanks 2
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The Leaf fans are not happy.   Here are some of the comments.

• Christafroon  Aki_Berg_Burner_Account  an hour ago

I mean right now, and I know I'm in a bad place, the thought of the Leafs losing and having to feel that shame,.. that feels more right and appropriate than the false elation of squeaking past the lowly Habs. I kinda want them to feel like $&!# more than I want to keep watching hockey/

This is why the Leafs fail every season. They cruise through the regular season and think they’re better than they are.

The “lowly Habs”? That’s a team that on paper is much more suited for playoff hockey. I would have been very concerned as a Leafs fan if I was playing them. They acted like they were already looking past them.

They’re deeper in every position. The only reason the Leafs get by in the regular is because of a stacked top 6. When playoffs come around and they need scoring from depth players there is none.

They never learn.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Hydration 1
Posted (edited)

The leafs are constantly hyped as the brst team, this is the year, etc. Its no wonder they looked past the Canadiens. They may still win the series but further psychogical damage has already been done. You could see the "$&!# its happening again" body language on them in game 6. Marner, Matthews, and Nylander are clearly frustrated that things arent going easy for them. If they play scared in game 7 its advantage Montreal.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Slegr said:

If Habs can win, I’d be overjoyed, but odds are still very much with Leafs. 
This series reminds me of Canucks in round 1 of 1994 run, against Flames. Canucks won game 1, then lost 3 straight, then fought back with 3 consecutive overtime wins. 

Not many teams can come back when down 3-1 in the series. Here’s hoping Habs have one more surprise win in them.

What makes the odds in the Leafs favor?  Their best forward and defenseman are both hurt and all the pressure is on them.  Historically, their guys don't respond well in these situations.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

What makes the odds in the Leafs favor?  Their best forward and defenseman are both hurt and all the pressure is on them.  Historically, their guys don't respond well in these situations.

I’d think Leafs are favoured just by law of averages. The chance the Leafs will finally get some puck luck and the odds the Habs can win 3 in a row would make me think it’ll go to the Leafs, but I’d absolutely love to be wrong.

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’d think Leafs are favoured just by law of averages. The chance the Leafs will finally get some puck luck and the odds the Habs can win 3 in a row would make me think it’ll go to the Leafs, but I’d absolutely love to be wrong.

That's not how probability works at all though; if you flip a coin four times and the first three don't come up heads, there is no increased likelihood of a tails on the final toss.  I think the likelihood of a mentally and physically weak team continuing their history of choking when it matters most is far more likely.

Edited by King Heffy

Please please please... Oh hockey gods, I beg for your mercy. I have suffered long and continue to follow my team through ups and downs. Can you grant me one small kindness?  Please let the Laffs choke their way into golf season once again while TSN tells us how great they are and that next year is “their year”. I will drink many beers in your name...

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here are the reactions from the Leafs forum... enjoy:

first thing that comest to mind....looks like most of our GDTs lol.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

That's not how probability works at all though; if you flip a coin four times and the first three don't come up heads, there is no increased likelihood of a tails on the final toss.  I think the likelihood of a mentally and physically weak team continuing their history of choking when it matters most is far more likely.

I'm not going to predict the outcome (aside from saying I took the Habs in 7 lol...)

But I do disagree with the whole 'we're cursed' line coming out of Leafs homers.

The Leafs got their puck luck.  Lack of 'puck luck' is not their problem imo.

They were dead in the water - got a giveaway and a gift deflection to keep their unearned dream alive in game 6.

In fact, without puck luck last night - it's a hands-down regulation loss - the final score was actually flattering.

They're not 'cursed'.

Hell - they even get the decided game management advantage in this series - usually do.

What they lack imo - is within their control - they simply don't step up - and PERFORM - when it matters....

(a generalization of course - a few guys, like Mikheyev, or Kerfoot - or Campbell  - some of their best performers, have held their own, in this series....but overall, there's little that is 'clutch' - or playoff - about that team/build.

It's all Leafs - all on the Leafs themselves.   And further - it's on their #genius GM.

If they need a landslide of luck - or game management - to finally win a series.....there would seem to be something 'underlying' that is lacking.

• Hydration 3
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3
  • -Vintage Canuck- unpinned this topic