The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (1) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-3

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 11:00 PM

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm not going to predict the outcome (aside from saying I took the Habs in 7 lol...)

But I do disagree with the whole 'we're cursed' line coming out of Leafs homers.

The Leafs got their puck luck.  Lack of 'puck luck' is not their problem imo.

They were dead in the water - got a giveaway and a gift deflection to keep their unearned dream alive in game 6.

In fact, without puck luck last night - it's a hands-down regulation loss - the final score was actually flattering.

They're not 'cursed'.

Hell - they even get the decided game management advantage in this series - usually do.

What they lack imo - is within their control - they simply don't step up - and PERFORM - when it matters....

(a generalization of course - a few guys, like Mikheyev, or Kerfoot - or Campbell  - some of their best performers, have held their own, in this series....but overall, there's little that is 'clutch' - or playoff - about that team/build.

It's all Leafs - all on the Leafs themselves.   And further - it's on their #genius GM.

If they need a landslide of luck - or game management - to finally win a series.....there would seem to be something 'underlying' that is lacking.

I have MTL in 7 as well, but mostly out of spite. I really didn't think MTL could push things this far. 

you'd think for a 15 mil signing bonus you'd see more than 1 goal out of Matthews. 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have MTL in 7 as well, but mostly out of spite. I really didn't think MTL could push things this far. 

you'd think for a 15 mil signing bonus you'd see more than 1 goal out of Matthews. 

Montreal scores first and watch the TO meltdown. Price is good enough to win another game on his own. Excluding the Laffer comebacks I thought Montreal has played a much better game over the past 2 games. Speeds good and they are picking up their checks well. Either way Winnipeg takes the 2nd round. 

57 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Montreal scores first and watch the TO meltdown. Price is good enough to win another game on his own. Excluding the Laffer comebacks I thought Montreal has played a much better game over the past 2 games. Speeds good and they are picking up their checks well. Either way Winnipeg takes the 2nd round. 

yup Price could easily have a great game, actually I expect him to. 

I'm really pulling for WPG this year, I'd love to see them bring it home. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I picked them in 7 not out of spite - but because I think they are a better playoff build than the Leafs.

Built from the net out - Price, Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson... I'll take that over the Leafs' top 4 - even if I like Campbell (he's played very well) - and think the Leafs have an improved second pairing...

Of course - that depends on the health of that Habs 'battery' - and Weber has looked like he's playing injured....but Price has been Price....

Edmundson - hasn't quite been the player he was in St Louis (not gazing his giveaway here, throughout the series he's just not looked as good as I 'expected' him to be).  But regardless, in spite of the Leafs' advantage at center ice - I think the Habs are generally the better skating team, the team that plays more of an aggressive playoff style of hockey - with guys like Price, Weber and Petry to anchor that.  'Alternative' builds can win - but I think they do so with far less frequency.

The Leafs are improved in some areas - notably Matthews plays a far better two way game post Malhotra arrival (I think he's probably taking too much heat and blame by people micro-gazing his production alone....(that from someone that's really not a fan...)    They also no longer have a Gardiner in their top 4 - but still have a question mark on their 3rd pairing (Sandin/Dermott) - and I have to question their build overall.   When guys like Kerfoot, Campbell, Mikheyev are probably your best rlelative playoff performers (aside from a Nylander or stealth Matthews) - you're probably not going to win many series.

Bottom line for me - when the Habs skate and hit - they dictate the tempo of the series - and they have the 'foundation'/backbone to anchor that style of attacking game. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I picked them in 7 not out of spite - but because I think they are a better playoff build than the Leafs.

Built from the net out - Price, Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson... I'll take that over the Leafs' top 4 - even if I like Campbell (he's played very well) - and think the Leafs have an improved second pairing...

Of course - that depends on the health of that Habs 'battery' - and Weber has looked like he's playing injured....but Price has been Price....

Edmundson - hasn't quite been the player he was in St Louis (not gazing his giveaway here, throughout the series he's just not looked as good as I 'expected' him to be).  But regardless, in spite of the Leafs' advantage at center ice - I think the Habs are generally the better skating team, the team that plays more of an aggressive playoff style of hockey - with guys like Price, Weber and Petry to anchor that.  'Alternative' builds can win - but I think they do so with far less frequency.

The Leafs are improved in some areas - notably Matthews plays a far better two way game post Malhotra arrival (I think he's probably taking too much heat and blame by people micro-gazing his production alone....(that from someone that's really not a fan...)    They also no longer have a Gardiner in their top 4 - but still have a question mark on their 3rd pairing (Sandin/Dermott) - and I have to question their build overall.   When guys like Kerfoot, Campbell, Mikheyev are probably your best rlelative playoff performers (aside from a Nylander or stealth Matthews) - you're probably not going to win many series.

Bottom line for me - when the Habs skate and hit - they dictate the tempo of the series - and they have the 'foundation'/backbone to anchor that style of attacking game. 

I agree on Weber, something is a bit off there, but even still he's so smart he's effective. 

TO's best players aren't being that at the moment, Marner must be a major disappointment for that fan base at the moment. 

You have to give the edge to MTL tonight, Price can handle the pressure and Campbell's never been in this kind of pressure cooker. Should be a good one. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree on Weber, something is a bit off there, but even still he's so smart he's effective. 

TO's best players aren't being that at the moment, Marner must be a major disappointment for that fan base at the moment. 

You have to give the edge to MTL tonight, Price can handle the pressure and Campbell's never been in this kind of pressure cooker. Should be a good one. 

I agree - even a Weber that can't really unload that one-timer - and has difficulty even getting enough pepper on his clears - is still a force.

Just that presence in front of Price, that intimidation to enter the hard areas with him - his effect against entries, the rush - his intelligence - makes him one of the best players on the ice even while playing injured.

Matthews - 2 even strength pts in 6 games - 59.1% ozone starts - just not good enough - but I think he does deserve credit for his improved play in his own zone in particular (and he does have a very impressive 13 takeaways this series.  Is that enough to appease a fanbase that hasn't had a first round victory in eons? - I doubt it (and that post-game-6 interview - was cringeworthy.

Anything can happen - but the psychological gymnastics the Leafs are steeped in - Keefe's line about being "excited" for the team etc - sounds weak rationalization that may be better kept in the locker room as opposed to 'official' messaging (as the latter it's way to 'soft' an answer to 0-7 in elimination opportunities).

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Initially, it was reported that they weren't going to allow any fans, but now it seems like Ford was under pressure to make it happen.

They must have been impressed and a little jealous of the 2500 in Montreal. Probably looking for anything possible to ward off another playoff bellyflop.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree - even a Weber that can't really unload that one-timer - and has difficulty even getting enough pepper on his clears - is still a force.

Just that presence in front of Price, that intimidation to enter the hard areas with him - his effect against entries, the rush - his intelligence - makes him one of the best players on the ice even while playing injured.

Matthews - 2 even strength pts in 6 games - 59.1% ozone starts - just not good enough - but I think he does deserve credit for his improved play in his own zone in particular (and he does have a very impressive 13 takeaways this series.  Is that enough to appease a fanbase that hasn't had a first round victory in eons? - I doubt it (and that post-game-6 interview - was cringeworthy.

Anything can happen - but the psychological gymnastics the Leafs are steeped in - Keefe's line about being "excited" for the team etc - sounds weak rationalization that may be better kept in the locker room as opposed to 'official' messaging (as the latter it's way to 'soft' an answer to 0-7 in elimination opportunities).

if the leaves don't make it through tonight I think there will be calls for a trade, just don't know who they'll pick. I suspect Nylander but we'll see. 

I hope whatever's wrong with Weber is minor, and not just age. 

Laffs suck. Their first round curse will continue. Habs are built for a stage like this. Solid depth throughout the lineup and Price has always shown up when it matters most. The only way Laffs can steal this one is if Matthews, Nylander, Marner have great performances and step up and rise to the occasion. We’ll see. Should be a good one tonight

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if the leaves don't make it through tonight I think there will be calls for a trade, just don't know who they'll pick. I suspect Nylander but we'll see. 

I hope whatever's wrong with Weber is minor, and not just age. 

Marner IMO. He has 12 minutes in penalties in his playoff career. One tripping call and, countem’, FIVE puck over glass penalties! So far he had been a total no-show.

• Like 1