• Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7
    • Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think they trade him then. I don't think he'll want out either. If he leaves he also leaves Draisaitl which isn't worth it for either guy. He probably just wants the Oilers to figure the roster out.

Even if they could get a huge overpayment for him, I dont think they would do it. There would be massive backlash against it for sure. And Edmonton is not a stable enough market to take that imo.

When Gretzky was traded, at least they had just won a bunch of cups. If they give up on McDavid like they did with Hall, not sure that plays well for them.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Even if they could get a huge overpayment for him, I dont think they would do it. There would be massive backlash against it for sure. And Edmonton is not a stable enough market to take that imo.

When Gretzky was traded, at least they had just won a bunch of cups. If they give up on McDavid like they did with Hall, not sure that plays well for them.

Yeah that's why opinion on it. I don't think he and Draisaitl want to part ways mainly as well. They are dynamite together.

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Not sure if it's Tippett to blame for not trusting his 3rd D pair or the GM to blame for not giving Tippett a trustworthy 3rd pair. But you can't play a 120 minute hockey game without relying on the bottom of your line up to at least give your top guys a breather every few minutes.

Josh Morrissy was the high-minute guy for the Jetts. He played 20 minutes less than Nurse.

I'm wondering if Tippet could/should have played his bottom pairing just a little bit more than he did.

On the play-by-play of the winning goal the commentator was complimenting Bear (who hadn't played in two periods) for making a great poke check on Wheeler, which resulted in the Oilers taking the puck down to the other end, where McDavid turned it over...

Second, if Bear wasn't being short shifted (which I suspect he was), he would probably have been on the ice, and quite possibly have been able to stop Connor.

regards,  G.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think they trade him then. I don't think he'll want out either. If he leaves he also leaves Draisaitl which isn't worth it for either guy. He probably just wants the Oilers to figure the roster out.

He will leave eventually.  Luckily they have a cap now or else he would already be gone to LA or New York.  But if he wants to cement his legacy he will need to win a few Cups.  He knows this.  He is not going to play the better part of his career with a team that has no chance at a Cup.  He will demand a trade eventually.  Two years max.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He will leave eventually.  Luckily they have a cap now or else he would already be gone to LA or New York.  But if he wants to cement his legacy he will need to win a few Cups.  He knows this.  He is not going to play the better part of his career with a team that has no chance at a Cup.  He will demand a trade eventually.  Two years max.

I expect he will eventually want out if they dont start winning in the playoffs. 

I dont think that happens in the next two years though. I figure if he gets to age 28 or so with no light at the dnd of the tunnel he starts looking to get out.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Edmonton would be foolish to trade either.

But they do have a lot of work to do to surround them.

Honestly, if Klefbom makes a full recovery their D doesn't look that bad (their bottom 6 is a whole different story though). Adding Oscar Klefbom and Evan Bouchard next season is a big step forward. Although, both Larsson and Barrie are UFAs, if they leave, they'll just be treading water.

Edited by MattJVD

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

Honestly, if Klefbom makes a full recovery their D doesn't look that bad (their bottom 6 is a whole different story though). Adding Oscar Klefbom and Evan Bouchard next season is a big step forward. Although, both Larsson and Barrie are UFAs, if they leave, they'll just be treading water.

Barrie leaving would be addition by subtraction, although Bouchard is just as much of a trainwreck in his own zone. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Edmonton would be foolish to trade either.

But they do have a lot of work to do to surround them.

They could hit up a team like ours looking to move cap(no one from the bottom 6 lol but Schmidt maybe) or a team that can't protect certain players from the expansion draft.

Edmonton could have won some games in this series.

I think you have to give Paul Maurice a lot of credit. His plan to shutdown McDavid and Draisaitl was solid. They still got tons of chances of course but it let his own big guns have better matchups so they could make the difference.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I highly doubt it.

Any team that trades for him is gonna have to gut their team and he'll end up in the same boat but without Draisaitl.

The big thing is Draisaitl. Both of them know their best shot is building any sort of dynasty is around them together. Unless they both want out, they're both staying.

Also they've barely entered their prime. Horvat's older than them. Still plenty of time.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I highly doubt it.

Any team that trades for him is gonna have to gut their team and he'll end up in the same boat but without Draisaitl.

The big thing is Draisaitl. Both of them know their best shot is building any sort of dynasty is around them together. Unless they both want out, they're both staying.

Also they've barely entered their prime. Horvat's older than them. Still plenty of time.

The problem is they not only haven't built a decent team around him, they don't have much hope of building one in the near future.  Pretty bare cupboards, a city no one in their right mind would live in voluntarily, and a scouting department that struggles to draft NHLers in the first round, let alone later.

• Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

The problem is they not only haven't built a decent team around him, they don't have much hope of building one in the near future.  Pretty bare cupboards, a city no one in their right mind would live in voluntarily, and a scouting department that struggles to draft NHLers in the first round, let alone later.

I like Broberg and Bouchard. Holloway is rounding out pretty nice too as a PWF-type of player. They are about to get another mid-1st.

They've got some guys but they are a bit aways.