The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (2) Edmonton Oilers vs. (3) Winnipeg Jets | Jets win series 4-0

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, sassbs said:

How long before Mcdavid demands a trade!!  
his youth is being wasted in Edmonton. 

The return for McDavid would be massive too.  To Buffalo for Eichel and Dahlin?  

Their deployment in overtime was beyond anything I’ve ever seen.  5 minute shift for nurse in the first ot.  Even if they had won their key guys would have  had zero in the tank for a potential game 5.  Need depth in the playoffs to win series.

• Vintage 1
45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They would need more than that. The hard thing is, Edmonton could use a solid #1 d-man, but teams that have those don't give them up and are usually competitive enough to not want to make a huge trade.

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

they wouldn't trade McBaby until next season before his NMC kicks in, thats when the real speculation will ramp up. If they are out of the playoff picture prior to next years TDL watch all the focus be on that. 

It was fun to watch him get burned on such a lame little dump in, maybe all the "best player in the world" stuff got to his head and he thought he could get away with it. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they wouldn't trade McBaby until next season before his NMC kicks in, thats when the real speculation will ramp up. If they are out of the playoff picture prior to next years TDL watch all the focus be on that. 

It was fun to watch him get burned on such a lame little dump in, maybe all the "best player in the world" stuff got to his head and he thought he could get away with it. 

Without depth, playing the arses off your core players, nothing positive is ever going to happen in a do or die situation. Fatigue for sure. How is hell does any team expect to win a game, let alone a series, when one player notches 60 plus minutes?

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Without depth, playing the arses off your core players, nothing positive is ever going to happen in a do or die situation. Fatigue for sure. How is hell does any team expect to win a game, let alone a series, when one player notches 60 plus minutes?

I'm sure fatigue was part of it, but given how well WPG played McSad this series you'd think he'd know better than to try to get away with something like that. 

I'm guessing Edmonton throws a bunch of money at Freddie Anderson this offseason, along with overpaying for more "help" for McDiver. 

• Hydration 1
41 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Their deployment in overtime was beyond anything I’ve ever seen.  5 minute shift for nurse in the first ot.  Even if they had won their key guys would have  had zero in the tank for a potential game 5.  Need depth in the playoffs to win series.

They were missing their best D, Klefbom and Smith played great.  Will be very interesting to see what the Oilers do in the offseason as always

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sure fatigue was part of it, but given how well WPG played McSad this series you'd think he'd know better than to try to get away with something like that. 

I'm guessing Edmonton throws a bunch of money at Freddie Anderson this offseason, along with overpaying for more "help" for McDiver. 

As always, this offseason is going to be the time for overpaying. Most teams need "bigs", need goaltending, need secondary scoring, need 3rd and 4th line centers, and few have much Cap money to play with. Everyone is underestimating the Jets, but they have 4 complete lines with size, speed and grit. Plus their D and goaltending is pretty damn good too. As you say, shut down McJesus, Drai, and any other player on the first line, you stand a better than average chance of winning a game against the Coilers. 

Statistically speaking McDavid is already In his peak, and will only be there for 2 or 3 more years. 

Yes they can win after it like with Ovi but good luck with that. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

As always, this offseason is going to be the time for overpaying. Most teams need "bigs", need goaltending, need secondary scoring, need 3rd and 4th line centers, and few have much Cap money to play with. Everyone is underestimating the Jets, but they have 4 complete lines with size, speed and grit. Plus their D and goaltending is pretty damn good too. As you say, shut down McJesus, Drai, and any other player on the first line, you stand a better than average chance of winning a game against the Coilers. 

I just love how disciplined WPG is. If there's any team we can "model" in Canada, its likely them. Its funny, I like them and are pulling for them far more now that they don't have Laine.

What bugs me most about the whole McDone thing is how our media is trying to turn him into hockey's version of Brady before he's actually done anything in the post-season. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just love how disciplined WPG is. If there's any team we can "model" in Canada, its likely them. Its funny, I like them and are pulling for them far more now that they don't have Laine.

What bugs me most about the whole McDone thing is how our media is trying to turn him into hockey's version of Brady before he's actually done anything in the post-season. 

Yep, that whole 100 point season now looks pretty moot to me.

• Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

They were missing their best D, Klefbom and Smith played great.  Will be very interesting to see what the Oilers do in the offseason as always

overpay for Andersson, re-sign RNH and Larsson and most of that cap is gone. And they aren't better. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I agree, Evan Bouchard is vastly overrated. Other than his shot, I didn't see anything that would make be believe "this guy is a superstar". I just saw more upside in Noah Dobson who fyi, looks like hes going to be a solid player

I like Dobson a lot. Talented kid.

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I highly doubt it.

Any team that trades for him is gonna have to gut their team and he'll end up in the same boat but without Draisaitl.

The big thing is Draisaitl. Both of them know their best shot is building any sort of dynasty is around them together. Unless they both want out, they're both staying.

Also they've barely entered their prime. Horvat's older than them. Still plenty of time.

Gretzky already won 2 Cups at age 24. By age 28 he never won a Cup again. The window isn’t as big as you think. There is not going to be a dynasty in Edmonton. The organization has not been able to do that since the 80’s. 

You can’t win a Cup with only 2 players and a Nurse. Eventually he will want out and the Oilers will have to trade him. They won’t get full value for him. The longer he stays the lower his value will become. When he’s 29 he will be a UFA. The Oilers will then get nothing for him if they refuse to trade him. 

The Oilers have 2 years max to do something significant in the playoffs. If they are still getting bounced out in the first round 2 years from now McDavid will want out. 

• Like 1