Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (2) Edmonton Oilers vs. (3) Winnipeg Jets | Jets win series 4-0

Rate this topic


2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nurse is gonna need a nurse.

RN or Wet?

 

All kidding aside, as much as we hate him here on CDC, I don't think I would mind him on our team.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I admit that kid is a horse, but, that's not going to result in winning hockey in the long run. If you folks think our offseason is going to be interesting, the Coilers will be even moreso. Two guys eating over $20M, no number 1 goalie, no defense depth, and no 3rd and 4th lines.

Is it possible to assemble a SC winning team with two guys making over $10 m each, in the flat cap era?

I’m starting too think that the answer is no.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Is it possible to assemble a SC winning team with two guys making over $10 m each, in the flat cap era?

I’m starting too think that the answer is no.

Don't think so.  Colorado is where they are because McKinnon is on a team friendly deal and they have some ELC's in the lineup.  Their highest paid Dman is only at $6 million.  Same with Boston.  Tampa has major cap issues but have been able to legally maneuver their way around that for the past 2 years.  They will use the ED to get some contracts off the books so they can get under the cap next year.  But yeah two guys eating up over $20 million in cap space is not a recipe for playoff success.  

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You really gotta wonder if McDavid will take a substantial pay cut when his contract is up in 6 years. I just dont see how they can continue to build a team with 15% of the cap being spent on 1 player and 25% of the cap on 2 players. McDavid is going to continue putting up insane numbers that will see him worthy of a raise, but the question is, does he take the raise? If they can’t win a cup between now and 2027, he’ll regret this contract. And down the road he will ultimately regret his next one if he isnt careful. Because they will have a very hard time trying to win a cup with 2 players and a bunch of throw-ins. Like honestly you gotta ask McDavid do you wanna win a cup or did you just want the money, cuz you sure f***ed your chances by taking that deal. Mackinnon wants to win and has made that very clear that his contract is enough to keep him happy and keep his team deep and competitive

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What a joke franchise. Only second to us.

Funny, Edmonton has had multiple 1st overall picks, why are they second to the Canucks?

I'd say if you can't win with two of the best players in the league, they are doing something more seriously wrong than Vancouver. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Is it possible to assemble a SC winning team with two guys making over $10 m each, in the flat cap era?

I’m starting too think that the answer is no.

Tampa has 2 guys making a total of $19M and still pay two more contracts at $8.5M and $7.9M so I guess it is possible but I agree it may be unlikely.

So the Leafs with their 3 X $10M+ contracts are really hooped. Gotta love it.

 

Isn't Chicago the only other team with 2 X $10M+ contracts?

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would not wanna be the Ken Holland this summer.

 

You basically have to rebuild the entire roster.

I assume he would have been up front when hired last year that this roster is &^@#ed but will do what he can. Which isn't much when something is that busted :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Funny, Edmonton has had multiple 1st overall picks, why are they second to the Canucks?

I'd say if you can't win with two of the best players in the league, they are doing something more seriously wrong than Vancouver. 

Like, imagine the outrage if that exact scenario had played out with the Canucks?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been around long enough to see a half dozen Jets losses to the Coil in the playoffs - through mainly the 1980s and early 90s.

 

Five of those times the Coil went on to win Stanley Cups after having knocked off the Jets.

 

Winnipeg was my team throughout that time - I became a Canuck (homer) when the league screwed Winnipeg and sent their team to a hapless desert - just as they were in the process of building something special.

I had a Dale Hawerchuk jersey - had worn it proudly as the Jets set NHL record losing streaks.  I had great training for transitioning to a Canucks fan lol.

 

If people in this market believe they've been 'hard-done-by' - they have no idea what it was  like to be a Winnipeg Jet.

 

Now I'm a dual homer, post Jets return - and that sweep is a thing of beauty - a whole lot of payback for a franchise that had it coming.

 

The difference between the 1980s Oilers and the present teams?   Those teams weren't simply lottery champions.  The similarities?  In spite of Tippett's best efforts, the Coil still regress back to 1980s pond hockey at critical times, the lingering hangover of a ruined 'culture'.

 

Many Oilers fans of the present never tasted any of that distant success.  So I do feel for them - their expectations getting fed constantly by the promises of lottery victories....their obnoxious media chalking up the Stanley Cups on draft floors year after year - mocking their interprovincial rivals who never knew how to #properly-rebuild lol.   To be repeatedly faced with the futility of half-built teams, teams that fail miserably when the game elevates to the levels it takes to be successful in the postseason.... I feel for their coach - who lived through years of Coyote futility - and then took on the challenge of changing Edmonton - great coach, who's going to take more blame than he deserves.  I feel for a player like Draisaitl - one of the greatest players I've ever watched - probably the best WHLer I've ever witnessed.    And I feel for a guy like Kassian, who committed hard and met a playoff standard of performance imo - one of the few bright spots in this Coiler sweep.

 

Anyhow - it's the long game that really matters - and needless to say, the Coil still have work ahead of them...

 

But in the longer term view - looking back and forward - suck it Edmonton.  You had it coming.

  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I've been around long enough to see a half dozen Jets losses to the Coil in the playoffs - through mainly the 1980s and early 90s.

 

Five of those times the Coil went on to win Stanley Cups after having knocked off the Jets.

 

Winnipeg was my team throughout that time - I became a Canuck (homer) when the league screwed Winnipeg and sent their team to a hapless desert - just as they were in the process of building something special.

I had a Dale Hawerchuk jersey - had worn it proudly as the Jets set NHL record losing streaks.  I had great training for transitioning to a Canucks fan lol.

 

If people in this market believe they've been 'hard-done-by' - they have no idea what it was  like to be a Winnipeg Jet.

 

Now I'm a dual homer, post Jets return - and that sweep is a thing of beauty - a whole lot of payback for a franchise that had it coming.

 

The difference between the 1980s Oilers and the present teams?   Those teams weren't simply lottery champions.  The similarities?  In spite of Tippett's best efforts, the Coil still regress back to 1980s pond hockey at critical times, the lingering hangover of a ruined 'culture'.

 

Many Oilers fans of the present never tasted any of that distant success.  So I do feel for them - their expectations getting fed constantly by the promises of lottery victories....their obnoxious media chalking up the Stanley Cups on draft floors year after year - mocking their interprovincial rivals who never knew how to #properly-rebuild lol.   To be repeatedly faced with the futility of half-built teams, teams that fail miserably when the game elevates to the levels it takes to be successful in the postseason.... I feel for their coach - who lived through years of Coyote futility - and then took on the challenge of changing Edmonton - great coach, who's going to take more blame than he deserves.  I feel for a player like Draisaitl - one of the greatest players I've ever watched - probably the best WHLer I've ever witnessed.    And I feel for a guy like Kassian, who committed hard and met a playoff standard of performance imo - one of the few bright spots in this Coiler sweep.

 

Anyhow - it's the long game that really matters - and needless to say, the Coil still have work ahead of them...

 

But in the longer term view - looking back and forward - suck it Edmonton.  You had it coming.

Was researching Winnepeg's draft history of late and was struck by how many of their picks developed into amazing depth or straight up superstars. Guys like Copp and Lowry and Demelo took time but are now paying off. Got me thinking about how long it takes. Got me thinking on Gadjovic, Rathbone, MacEwen and Lind Etc. We need for these guys to turn into regular NHL'ers. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What a joke franchise. Only second to us.

I don't know how you can compare us to them. It would be a different story if we had A first overall pick, and multiple top 10's in the last 15 years. In the last 10 without looking I think the Canucks have had 2 top 5 overall picks. The only difference is the Coilers have McJesus, Drai, and a Nurse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Funny, Edmonton has had multiple 1st overall picks, why are they second to the Canucks?

I'd say if you can't win with two of the best players in the league, they are doing something more seriously wrong than Vancouver. 

They've at least won at some point in their history. Unlike you know who..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky already won 2 Cups at age 24. By age 28 he never won a Cup again. The window isn’t as big as you think. There is not going to be a dynasty in Edmonton. The organization has not been able to do that since the 80’s. 
 

You can’t win a Cup with only 2 players and a Nurse. Eventually he will want out and the Oilers will have to trade him. They won’t get full value for him. The longer he stays the lower his value will become. When he’s 29 he will be a UFA. The Oilers will then get nothing for him if they refuse to trade him. 
 

The Oilers have 2 years max to do something significant in the playoffs. If they are still getting bounced out in the first round 2 years from now McDavid will want out. 

Yeah I don’t believe that whatsoever. They’ve got a lot of cap and some quality youngsters coming up. They have options to improve. They will eventually be better like us. 
 

I mean using that logic it would mean we’re even in more trouble with our guys. Guys like Horvat Boeser will probably want out if you use that sort of logic since we’ve been not putting up great/consistent results for a while.  
 

It’s wishful thinking at best that they have a two year window or that McD will want out or to leave Draisaitl. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Was researching Winnepeg's draft history of late and was struck by how many of their picks developed into amazing depth or straight up superstars. Guys like Copp and Lowry and Demelo took time but are now paying off. Got me thinking about how long it takes. Got me thinking on Gadjovic, Rathbone, MacEwen and Lind Etc. We need for these guys to turn into regular NHL'ers. 

yes - they've drafted well for sure - and Chevy has made some very good deals along the way, as well, imo (rarely 'loses' trades).

DeMelo was a UFA signing from San Jose, but yeah - Lowry (3rd round) , Copp (4th) were good picks - as were Hellebuyck (5th round), Poolman (5th), Appleton (6th), Niku (7th) - and a few others they've dealt/moved on from or are still potentially emerging.... 2013, 14, 15 are draft years they've had 15 players play NHL games...

 

Somewhat typical Jets luck - to build a really great team - and then lose Byfuglien, Myers, and have to deal Trouba - all at the same time - and yet, they rebounded so well (loved the Pionk acquisition from the day they got him - he was quietly excellent in NY and a great target who has panned out extremely well).

 

I think Chevy is probably one of the league's best GMs - I'd put him on a shortlist for sure.

Edited by oldnews
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Was researching Winnepeg's draft history of late and was struck by how many of their picks developed into amazing depth or straight up superstars. Guys like Copp and Lowry and Demelo took time but are now paying off. Got me thinking about how long it takes. Got me thinking on Gadjovic, Rathbone, MacEwen and Lind Etc. We need for these guys to turn into regular NHL'ers. 

Yep.  That's how you avoid overpaying for bottom six guys.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Anyone upset about how we are doing our rebuild should take a long hard look at this. Edmonton flopping in the playoffs even though they have one of the best players of all time having a historic year. This is what throwing young guys to the wolfs looks like. Canucks did an awesome job in the playoffs last year, because they were better prepared.

'foundation' is under-rated.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...