Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDSF: (2) Edmonton Oilers vs. (3) Winnipeg Jets | Jets win series 4-0

Rate this topic


2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I’m a very selfish Canucks fan. I’ve always wanted the Canucks to be the next Canadian team to win the cup.
 

After watching that game last night, It was so good and beautiful how the Jets swept the Oilers. I think I will cheer the Jets on and hopefully they win the cup. Won’t be easy but I like the idea of that. There’s always a couple teams I want to win. Usually a underdog or a team that hasn’t won recently but I never invested like I was last night. 
 

In closing, Go Jets!

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Dale Hawerchuk

Would be rated even higher if he played on a different team, or at a slightly different time.

He was so damn great.

Mario

Gretzky

Stasny -Peter that is

Hawerchuk

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes - they've drafted well for sure - and Chevy has made some very good deals along the way, as well, imo (rarely 'loses' trades).

DeMelo was a UFA signing from San Jose, but yeah - Lowry (3rd round) , Copp (4th) were good picks - as were Hellebuyck (5th round), Poolman (5th), Appleton (6th), Niku (7th) - and a few others they've dealt/moved on from or are still potentially emerging.... 2013, 14, 15 are draft years they've had 15 players play NHL games...

 

Someone typical Jets luck - to build a really great team - and then lose Byfuglien, Myers, and have to deal Trouba - all at the same time - and yet, they rebounded so well (loved the Pionk acquisition from the day they got him - he was quietly excellent in NY and a great target who has panned out extremely well).

 

I think Chevy is probably one of the league's best GMs - I'd put him on a shortlist for sure.

Wow, that is an impressive list of draft successes. All playing pivotal roles for this team.

Pionk has been such good addition for Trouba... barely miss him i bet.

And yes, so many good trades. Great asset management. Jets fans owe Chevy loads of praise. I'm jealous. Always admired the Jets since they came home. Really rooting for them this playoff.

My new adopted team for sure.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep.  That's how you avoid overpaying for bottom six guys.

meh.

 

I think the whole 'overpaid bottom six' thing is a weak/bad take in general - that fails to look at how successful teams are actually built.

 

Lots of contenders commit real money to their bottom six - don't simply fill it out with league minimum bargain basement assets (or homecoming charity discounts).

Look at Stanley Cup champions like St Louis - or Tampa - they aren't filled out with  'cheap' bottom 6.

 

Winnipeg has guys like:

1) Perrault - making 4.125 million - in their 'bottom six'.  

2) Lowry is a 3 million cap hit. 

3) Cop is 2.3 million. 

4) Stastny - at 6.5 million - plays fewer minutes than Copp, Lowry and Scheifele....call him a 2C - but it's not a clear line - he's probably  more accurately called a 'middle six' than top 6....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Devron44 said:

As fun at it is to make fun of Mcdavid. This isn’t really on him. Can’t win when it matters with a one line team. Hopefully the Oilers continue their poor management of not surrounding the guy with an actual team.

Well as it was his turnover...it is at least partly on him ;) 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have McD as minus 2, if not 3 in the overtimes. Ya, I get that the team isn't deep but McD has a long way to go to be compared to Syd, imho. His game where he rushes the puck and dips and doodles is all sweet to see. How many times does it work? One in ten? The rest of the time it's a change of possession going the other way. Also, his passing is underwhelming. I don't think he gets enough grief for his one-way, only play. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Would be rated even higher if he played on a different team, or at a slightly different time.

He was so damn great.

Mario

Gretzky

Stasny -Peter that is

Hawerchuk

 

Prime Steve Yzerman, who was on a terrible Detroit team, is up there too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

'foundation' is under-rated.

Completely agree. People memed the hell out of Benning calling Sutter foundational. But from the day he said it I feel like I completel understood what he was trying to say. I agreed with the concept then, and I still agree with it now. I haven't agreed with everything Benning did (ie not acquiring more picks) but I was and still am totally on board with his vet foundation model of a rebuild.

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Prime Steve Yzerman, who was on a terrible Detroit team, is up there too. 

Yes, him too.

I actually thought of them as damn close to each other. Both became excellent two way guys in order to help the team win.

If not for the Oil the Jets of that era advance a lot more in the play offs.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

meh.

 

I think the whole 'overpaid bottom six' thing is a weak/bad take in general - that fails to look at how successful teams are actually built.

 

Lots of contenders commit real money to their bottom six - don't simply fill it out with league minimum bargain basement assets (or homecoming charity discounts).

Look at Stanley Cup champions like St Louis - or Tampa - they aren't filled out with  'cheap' bottom 6.

 

Winnipeg has guys like:

1) Perrault - making 4.125 million - in their 'bottom six'.  

2) Lowry is a 3 million cap hit. 

3) Cop is 2.3 million. 

4) Stastny - at 6.5 million - plays fewer minutes than Copp, Lowry and Scheifele....call him a 2C - but it's not a clear line - he's probably  more accurately called a 'middle six' than top 6....

Yeah, but if you develop your own guys you don't end up getting a bad fit once it's time to play them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling Mcdavid 'McJesus' is blasphemous to me, 2 giveaways in 2 games that cost his team twice and has the audacity to yell at his teammates and make sarcastic faces..Not very Jesus like! Get over yourself.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nux4lyfe said:

Calling Mcdavid 'McJesus' is blasphemous to me, 2 giveaways in 2 games that cost his team twice and has the audacity to yell at his teammates and make sarcastic faces..Not very Jesus like! Get over yourself.

But he's the Tom Brady of hockey. Other than the championships. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’m a very selfish Canucks fan. I’ve always wanted the Canucks to be the next Canadian team to win the cup.
 

After watching that game last night, It was so good and beautiful how the Jets swept the Oilers. I think I will cheer the Jets on and hopefully they win the cup. Won’t be easy but I like the idea of that. There’s always a couple teams I want to win. Usually a underdog or a team that hasn’t won recently but I never invested like I was last night. 
 

In closing, Go Jets!

If Montreal and Vegas get through to round 2 I will be ok with any of those 4 winning the cup. Prefer the Jets or Avs though. 

 

No one from the East I want to see win tbh. Maybe the Islanders just for the giant F you to pyjama boy.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

You really gotta wonder if McDavid will take a substantial pay cut when his contract is up in 6 years. I just dont see how they can continue to build a team with 15% of the cap being spent on 1 player and 25% of the cap on 2 players. McDavid is going to continue putting up insane numbers that will see him worthy of a raise, but the question is, does he take the raise? If they can’t win a cup between now and 2027, he’ll regret this contract. And down the road he will ultimately regret his next one if he isnt careful. Because they will have a very hard time trying to win a cup with 2 players and a bunch of throw-ins. Like honestly you gotta ask McDavid do you wanna win a cup or did you just want the money, cuz you sure f***ed your chances by taking that deal. Mackinnon wants to win and has made that very clear that his contract is enough to keep him happy and keep his team deep and competitive

Maybe McD is one of those guys that is happy  with winning individual awards and making a ton of dough.  Learn to pout for the cameras at all the right moments, and then sail off into the sunset. 


Unless, off course, Plan B is to sign with the Laffs when he’s past his prime, to help them with that still elusive plan to win a Cup in the post 6 team NHL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sure fatigue was part of it, but given how well WPG played McSad this series you'd think he'd know better than to try to get away with something like that. 

 

I'm guessing Edmonton throws a bunch of money at Freddie Anderson this offseason, along with overpaying for more "help" for McDiver. 

I hope they do. A lot of hype about Freddie in TO at one time. He’ll look pretty ordinary in front of the Oiler d-corps.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

And the leadership

I'm just tired of the media calling him the 'best player in the world'. He hasn't earned that yet. 

 

Its also just very American-style marketing, there's always just the one guy at the top crap. It doesn't really fit with hockey. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

You really gotta wonder if McDavid will take a substantial pay cut when his contract is up in 6 years. I just dont see how they can continue to build a team with 15% of the cap being spent on 1 player and 25% of the cap on 2 players. McDavid is going to continue putting up insane numbers that will see him worthy of a raise, but the question is, does he take the raise? If they can’t win a cup between now and 2027, he’ll regret this contract. And down the road he will ultimately regret his next one if he isnt careful. Because they will have a very hard time trying to win a cup with 2 players and a bunch of throw-ins. Like honestly you gotta ask McDavid do you wanna win a cup or did you just want the money, cuz you sure f***ed your chances by taking that deal. Mackinnon wants to win and has made that very clear that his contract is enough to keep him happy and keep his team deep and competitive

A paycut to win a cup? Perhaps, but not with Deadmonton. I could see porn stache leaving Toronto once the contract is up and maybe McD being the replacement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

nothing warms my heart like watching the oilers and mcdavid fail.

 

it looks beautiful on that franchise and on overrated mcloser.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...