• Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7
    • Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2021 at 01:00 AM

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They were much better this year then they typically are.

Still would have liked to see more pp time and even pk time for some of those young guys though.

Gadjovich deserved more time even though he clearly needs to work on his skating.

yeah I'd like to know what happened there... but maybe they saw enough in practice to make the call.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I'd like to know what happened there... but maybe they saw enough in practice to make the call.

He made a pretty ahl level mistake costing a goal but i cut him slack on that. Was probably nerves as he hadnt been out there much.

I like that he fought. Thought the instigator was bogus there though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I don’t believe that whatsoever. They’ve got a lot of cap and some quality youngsters coming up. They have options to improve. They will eventually be better like us. 

I mean using that logic it would mean we’re even in more trouble with our guys. Guys like Horvat Boeser will probably want out if you use that sort of logic since we’ve been not putting up great/consistent results for a while.  

It’s wishful thinking at best that they have a two year window or that McD will want out or to leave Draisaitl. 

We don't rely on only 2 players and a Nurse.  Benning has stockpiled lots of young talent.  We just need some support players to help the kids.  Edmonton doesn't have the same support cast that we do.  They relied on 2 lines and 4 D for the entire playoffs.  They don't have a starting goalie in the system, we do.  They don't have any good defencemen other than a Nurse and some unproven prospects.  And they don't have any semblance of a 3rd line at all.  We will see where we are at as opposed to Edmonton in 2 years.

At least we won 2 rounds in the playoffs last year.  How many playoff rounds has McDavid won in 6 years in the NHL?  One?

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We don't rely on only 2 players and a Nurse.  Benning has stockpiled lots of young talent.  We just need some support players to help the kids.  Edmonton doesn't have the same support cast that we do.  They relied on 2 lines and 4 D for the entire playoffs.  They don't have a starting goalie in the system, we do.  They don't have any good defencemen other than a Nurse and some unproven prospects.  And they don't have any semblance of a 3rd line at all.  We will see where we are at as opposed to Edmonton in 2 years.

At least we won 2 rounds in the playoffs last year.  How many playoff rounds has McDavid won in 6 years in the NHL?  One?

Oilers made it to the 2nd round game 7 like us after beating a team in 6 games in the 1st round. 

They got young talent coming up. Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway are good prospects and they have others on the way as well.  Plus youngsters already on the team like Yamamoto/Poolparty. 

The 2 players they have are the best in the world and you discount Klefbolm who will be back next year, Larsson(who could be re-signed) plus the 22M in cap they have this off-season. 

We don’t have that much better of a supporting cast and our team D sucks. Our bottom 6 was an issue all year and our roster can’t handle injuries as well as the Oilers can. Even when healthy we have issues winning games without elite goaltending performances.

We have issues, just like the Oilers. Only difference is they have issues and still are capable of making the playoffs. We’re struggling to make the playoffs because of our issues.

Only reason why we made the playoffs last year was because the season ended early. We were likely on our way out of the playoff picture, struggling with Marky and Boeser out. Lost 5 of the last 7 games before the pause. COVID pause was a blessing in disguise. 

I don’t think we’re gonna come to any sort of agreement on this. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He made a pretty ahl level mistake costing a goal but i cut him slack on that. Was probably nerves as he hadnt been out there much.

I like that he fought. Thought the instigator was bogus there though.

Rookie mistakes are to be expected from rookies; I'm not worried about it and he'll learn.  His positioning was good, which negated a lot of skating issues.  Loved seeing him step in to defend a teammate; that fight was exactly why I'm so excited about him going forward.  Hopefully we don't lose him to expansion.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I don’t believe that whatsoever. They’ve got a lot of cap and some quality youngsters coming up. They have options to improve. They will eventually be better like us. 

I mean using that logic it would mean we’re even in more trouble with our guys. Guys like Horvat Boeser will probably want out if you use that sort of logic since we’ve been not putting up great/consistent results for a while.  

It’s wishful thinking at best that they have a two year window or that McD will want out or to leave Draisaitl. 

They do have a bunch of cap, but it's coming from good, useful players expiring. Their #2 and 3 D (in ice time), their 3rd best forward, and their starting goalie are all UFAs. It takes a lot of cap to re-sign or replace those players.

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

They do have a bunch of cap, but it's coming from good, useful players expiring. Their #2 and 3 D (in ice time), their 3rd best forward, and their starting goalie are all UFAs. It takes a lot of cap to re-sign or replace those players.

Yeah they got solid younger players in the system though.

Bouchard could replace Barrie in an offensive role and Broberg is a pretty good D prospect. Holloway is a great forward prospect and they got a few more with promise as well. They also have Yamamoto/Poolparty already on the roster.

Goaltending is definitely an issue but they're are not as bad off as people seem to think. Back to back 2nd place finishes in the division the last 2 years. They could re-sign RNH/Larsson and have enough cap to sign someone significant still.

Their success will be determined of how their youngsters pan out and whether or not they can find a goalie. They have the makings of a good/deep D-core if Bouchard/Broberg pan out. They have the 22nd overall pick as it stands too.

It'll be interesting with what they do in the off-season. I could see them look to make a lot of noise.