The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers have Fired David Quinn

Rate this topic

• -DLC- changed the title to [Report] Rangers have Fired David Quinn

I honestly feel that keeping Green and/or his assistants is not the direction that the Canucks should go. Green can stay, but one of his assistants at MINIMUM has to be replaced, namely Baumer.

We are absolutely a tirefire in the defensive zone, and I'm not willing to chalk it up to simply roster incompatibility.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

One has to wonder, despite what JB has said in recent months, if the Canucks are waiting it out to see who exactly will be available before making a final decision on resigning Green? 

For me, firings like this show actually how patient our franchise has been with it's present coaching staff - Quinn didn't the same level of patience in NY it seems, or perhaps they have/had higher expectations there? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

One has to wonder, despite what JB has said in recent months, if the Canucks are waiting it out to see who exactly will be available before making a final decision on resigning Green? 

For me, firings like this show actually how patient our franchise has been with it's present coaching staff - Quinn didn't the same level of patience in NY it seems, or perhaps they have/had higher expectations there? 

could be they're waiting and weighing their options.

or could be that Green doesn't have time to turn around - insane schedule, recovering from sickness - can't even squeeze a practice in - while Benning is off in Dallas, and then too busy buying groceries/answering for grocerygate lol.... perhaps they agreed to just wait until the shatstorm dust of a season settles and then revisit it.   who knows - but I'm not terribly concerned.  I like Green - and love the way this team plays/looks when they're relatively healthy and rested - I'd like to see him return, but there's a whole lot of coaching movement, so if it turns out that they're shopping for a new coach when the dust settles, there are probably worse times to do so.

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I honestly feel that keeping Green and/or his assistants is not the direction that the Canucks should go. Green can stay, but one of his assistants at MINIMUM has to be replaced, namely Baumer.

We are absolutely a tirefire in the defensive zone, and I'm not willing to chalk it up to simply roster incompatibility.

Agree. Some type of coaching change will be needed. Whether it's Green and the whole staff or just the assistants (keep Clark).

I have no doubt that had we been in the Pacific division, we make the playoffs this year with Green.

I think Green is a decent coach and his system seems to be working well against certain teams in the NHL.

But against certain other teams, like the Jets, Habs, or even the Oilers, we have struggled. Playing 9-10 times against the same teams allowed us to assess the team in a similar condition as we would be in the playoffs. Green and his coaching staff, for the most part, failed to make adjustments to mitigate the strengths of the Jets, Habs, and the Oilers. 

Green has shown to improve as a coach and I wouldn't mind having him back because these teams that we were playing against do have superior roster than we do. And the last few games since COVID is difficult to use for assessment purposes because so many players are missing from the roster. Essentially, we have been icing two AHL/fringe NHLer lines: Boyd, Vesey, Graovac, Hawryluk, Michaelis, MacEwen, Lind. Can't expect to win with consistency given that kind of bottom 6.

But I think some change is needed. Some people that can help make Green better decisions.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

could be they're waiting and weighing their options.

or could be that Green doesn't have time to turn around - insane schedule, recovering from sickness - can't even squeeze a practice in - while Benning is off in Dallas, and then too busy buying groceries/answering for grocerygate lol.... perhaps they agreed to just wait until the shatstorm dust of a season settles and then revisit it.   who knows - but I'm not terribly concerned.  I like Green - and love the way this team plays/looks when they're relatively healthy and rested - I'd like to see him return, but there's a whole lot of coaching movement, so if it turns out that they're shopping for a new coach when the dust settles, there are probably worse times to do so.

Are the assistants also in need of a contract?  It would be awkward to re-sign say Green and Clark for example but not the assistants (if ownership desired some changes)?  Could be why ownership is waiting till the end of the season.  Who knows tho

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This.  Every single one of our guys has been underachieving and/or taking half a year to acclimate to Baumer's "system".  Brown's lack of movement to open up lanes on the PP is a big issue too.  Neither of the assistants have any business coaching at the professional level.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, it's really interesting.

The hilarity of this fanbase is that we are given a stable ownership, stable leadership (not very many GM/coach firings), and guess what we do? We have people demanding that someone buy the team away from Aquilini, and there are tons of fire Benning/Green proposals, particularly the Benning one.

One has to wonder if people here realize how bad Buffalo has it. We absolutely should be grateful that the Pegulas are not running this show.

The Aquilinis are the best owners we have had.   Money has never, ever been a concern since they bought the team.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

51 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Are the assistants also in need of a contract?  It would be awkward to re-sign say Green and Clark for example but not the assistants (if ownership desired some changes)?  Could be why ownership is waiting till the end of the season.  Who knows tho

Personally I think the head coach should be the person to hire their assistant coaches.

• Cheers 2