The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

It would be nice to have LE's cap space to use, absolutely, but not at the expense of a 1st.  I think we will have enough $ to improve our team next year.  Right now you have $16 mill available and likely 6.5 in LTIR and need 2 forwards, 3 defensemen  and 2 spares.  I'd assume that EP and Hughes take 13 of that, and that Podkolzin, Hamonic, Lind, OJ take another 5.5.  Leaves you with 4 or so million to play with, before you factor in a potential JV termination/buyout, or possibly Seattle taking Holtby.  Tight, but not dire..

You're right, but it doesn't allow for any forward upgrades save for guys in the system stepping up is all.

59 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

What would it take for Seattle to accept Eriksson's contract full on? 

1st round picks for next 3 seasons and Podkolzin??? 

Starting at a first and prospect/second rounder 

What would you accept as payment for taking on a contract like that to your team?

And history shows that type of dump costs a first plus

15 minutes ago, Wanless said:

You're right, but it doesn't allow for any forward upgrades save for guys in the system stepping up is all.

I mean, you have to see how things play out.  Right now, you have about 4 mill to improve the team.  I'd assume there will be a lot of pre Seattle draft moves that we could see, hopefully we can leverage one or two of those.  We may need to add a 2nd and/prospect to Holtby to entice Seattle to take him.  Or we could buyout Virtanen for next to nothing.  Who know what happens with LE, is he going to ride the bus Abbotsford for 3 mil to end a career that he made 60 mill in?  

We are in OK shape, but if a few things go our way, we could be in pretty good shape to add a quality 3C and RHD.  Not many teams are in a while lot better cap shape than us, and many teams won't be spending to that # anyway./  I expect we can fins some good value in the UFA market.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Agreed! What's the hurry? I mean, it's only been 9 years since we iced a dominant group who made it out of the 1st round? <_<

There are key moments in a rebuild, where you can louse it up badly with impatience. A good example is Burke in Hogtown with his Kessel, monster-gaffe.

From where we were in 2014, we have a lot today to look fwd to. One lousy yr, so don't throw out the babe w/ the bath water.

Imho, the Sabres will want to package Jeff Skinner's albatross contract on any trade involving Reinhart. They will probably be "content" with one of the following:

• High first round pick + fillers
  • Potential top-6 forward + fillers

For example:

• Our first round pick + Eriksson's salary + Roussel's salary + other fillers
  • Podkolzin + Eriksson's salary + other fillers

I hope that the Benning or whoever the next GM will be will quickly hang up the phone as soon as Skinner is mentioned.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Erm where did I say I was trading everyone because I felt like it.

I was responding to your post that to get Reinhart we HAVE to trade Podz, I was stating that we don’t have to there are other options and players we could trade. It depends on what buffalo want to do, blow it up and restart in which case it’s picks and prospects, or trade one of the three and tool up to placate the other two, in which case players like Schmitt and Miller are likely to be pieces they would want - established good players 

They're not going to take a 29-year old in Schmidt and a 28-year old in JT Miler if they're rebuilding. That makes no sense man. Just saying. 

33 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Imho, the Sabres will want to package Jeff Skinner's albatross contract on any trade involving Reinhart. They will probably be "content" with one of the following:

• High first round pick + fillers
  • Potential top-6 forward + fillers

For example:

• Our first round pick + Eriksson's salary + Roussel's salary + other fillers
  • Podkolzin + Eriksson's salary + other fillers

I hope that the Benning or whoever the next GM will be will quickly hang up the phone as soon as Skinner is mentioned.

You really think a team will take Skinner (and his contract) just to get Sam?  Sabres are stuck with Skinner.  Way too much term still left.  And Sam is a UFA in July 2022, right?  He’s pretty much a rental, albeit a good one.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

You really think a team will take Skinner (and his contract) just to get Sam?  Sabres are stuck with Skinner.  Way too much term still left.  And Sam is a UFA in July 2022, right?  He’s pretty much a rental, albeit a good one.  

I did use the word "want". Sam's arguably their second best player after Jack the past 2 seasons as Dahlin had a terrible season this year (many Canucks fans dump on Quinn about his D but Dahlin was being roasted even worse by the Sabres fans from the stuff I read).

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

The only way they can get rid of Skinner is in a Jack Eichel deal.  Even then what team can take on $19 million in salary?

9 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

A thing that people are missing on the topic is that they guy is a much better player playing at center. 

This is a wrinkle I had not realized. His 46% faceoff percentage, while not great is still much higher than past. Meaning he's worked on it a lot at some point. Seems like he wants to be a center. Bringing in Reino would cost Bo his 2nd line spot. Which I am sure is not something he'd take kindly too, yes he's a good dude and a great leader but not many top 6 players just accept a bottom 6 role. Miller did in Tampa but he never was used top 6 in NY so he never had to revert from being top 6 so would he go back after getting a taste of top 6 with us? Not likely. Same with Bo, he's not gonna be happy being a top 6 player than we replace him in the top 6 with Reino. Well, this definitely gives me something to ponder now. Lol.

18 hours ago, BCNate said:

It would be nice to have LE's cap space to use, absolutely, but not at the expense of a 1st.  I think we will have enough $ to improve our team next year.  Right now you have $16 mill available and likely 6.5 in LTIR and need 2 forwards, 3 defensemen  and 2 spares.  I'd assume that EP and Hughes take 13 of that, and that Podkolzin, Hamonic, Lind, OJ take another 5.5.  Leaves you with 4 or so million to play with, before you factor in a potential JV termination/buyout, or possibly Seattle taking Holtby.  Tight, but not dire..

If Buffalo takes on both LE and Roussel’s contract. I’m all for giving up our first this year.  That would be 9M of dead cap space off our books. Probably have to add Juolevi as well. 

The first round pick, doesn’t really fit the timeline of our core players. Unless we get extremely lucky, I’d say it will take that prospect a few good years to make an impact with our club (3-4 years tops). Patient isn’t on Benning’s side right now. He needs to make some huge gamble or he’ll soon be out of a job.

Edited by shiznak

18 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

They're not going to take a 29-year old in Schmidt and a 28-year old in JT Miler if they're rebuilding. That makes no sense man. Just saying. 

Seriously your reading comprehension is poor - I gave two potential options and neither was a rebuild with Schmitt and Miller 

Edited by UKNuck96

LA has lots of cap space and loads of high end prospects at F to send to Buffalo. Doughty is on record saying their org needs to bring in some veteran talent in hopes to make another cup run in the next few years and also help their kids in their development to become a more competitve team again. I think if the Kings can't land Eichel, they could pursue Reinhart and it would cost them much less than Jack.

The rumour from the 2014 draft was that Benning was willing to offer his 2 first round picks plus Shinkaruk to the Panthers for their first overall so they could draft Reinhart.

I hope they actually had their eye on Ekblad but it shows how much Benning valued Reinhart at the time if true.

Could you imagine we had traded those three and drafted Ekblad though? Would have gone down as one of the most lopsided trades in our history. Although there’s a good chance Florida takes Ehlers/Nylander but still a great trade.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

If Buffalo takes on both LE and Roussel’s contract. I’m all for giving up our first this year.  That would be 9M of dead cap space off our books. Probably have to add Juolevi as well. 

The first round pick, doesn’t really fit the timeline of our core players. Unless we get extremely lucky, I’d say it will take that prospect a few good years to make an impact with our club (3-4 years tops). Patient isn’t on Benning’s side right now. He needs to make some huge gamble or he’ll soon be out of a job.

The only player I consider trading a top 5 pick for is Seth Jones. That would be on the grounds he signs an extension. They would also have to take Roussel. 

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Jones

Juolevi/Rathbone - Myers

Edited by KKnight

Looking at Buffalo bloggers and fans thinking up trade ideas is amusing.

Since Reinhardt wants to be closer to home they theorize:

Reinhart to Calgary for Matthew Tkachuk straight up.

Reinhart to Vancouver for Hoglander and our 1st rounder next year.... plus they will take Pearson from us as a “cap dump” to make the money work.

I counter with Myers, Virtanen, and Roussel for Reinhart and Ristolainen! 

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1