The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Come on Provost...what do you expect from Sabres fans?  After all, most are Maple Leaf fans wannabees living south of Hamilton on the rusted out Horseshoe.  Seriously, I've been to Buffalo and it's the armpit of New York State.  Only thing good about Buffalo is the Anchor Bar, where a nice little Italian lady gave birth to chicken wings (and their square pizzas are killer).

Funny you say this because I happen to know a bunch of guys that play for the Buffalo Sabres Warriors Disabled Veteran's hockey club and I would say the majority would agree lol. My team here in Dallas beat them for the championship in Vegas a couple year's ago and actually had two of their guys playing with us due to a shortened roster on our end and too many on theirs. Those guys kept saying over and over how much they hate Buffalo lol. Hell our former team President is from there and he said he will only go back to visit family.  Although I have heard great things about the Anchor Bar too lol.   

National Anthem.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Funny you say this because I happen to know a bunch of guys that play for the Buffalo Sabres Warriors Disabled Veteran's hockey club and I would say the majority would agree lol. My team here in Dallas beat them for the championship in Vegas a couple year's ago and actually had two of their guys playing with us due to a shortened roster on our end and too many on theirs. Those guys kept saying over and over how much they hate Buffalo lol. Hell our former team President is from there and he said he will only go back to visit family.  Although I have heard great things about the Anchor Bar too lol.   

National Anthem.JPG

Awesome photo...much respect and appreciation for your service. 

Peace out.

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

if anything we need to address our 3c most immediately our RHD situation is what it is for the time being. However 3 C could be addressed within the parameters of our cap situation. Although to be fair I would be happy signing Sutter for cheep he kinda owes us if hes willing to take 1.5 x2 we can kick that can down the road too. The aquaman need to accept the rebuild embrace it there is some high end talent in next years draft.

I wish we could draft Beniers and move Horvat to 3C in the future when Beniers is ready to be 2C

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

if anything we need to address our 3c most immediately our RHD situation is what it is for the time being. However 3 C could be addressed within the parameters of our cap situation. Although to be fair I would be happy signing Sutter for cheep he kinda owes us if hes willing to take 1.5 x2 we can kick that can down the road too. The aquaman need to accept the rebuild embrace it there is some high end talent in next years draft.

I've been kinda throwing the idea of shopping Schmidt for that third line centre we desperately need. Something like said third line C + 3rd/2nd for Schmidt.

The only problem is if we lose Schmidt we need to replace those minutes. Also, I think we haven't seen the best of Schmidt yet. I feel there is more to give from him. 

46 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I've been kinda throwing the idea of shopping Schmidt for that third line centre we desperately need. Something like said third line C + 3rd/2nd for Schmidt.

The only problem is if we lose Schmidt we need to replace those minutes. Also, I think we haven't seen the best of Schmidt yet. I feel there is more to give from him. 

Yeah, Schmidt needs a different partner and a different d coach..

• Cheers 1

if our pick is 10-12 i say send it in a Reinhart trade. 

Sign RNH 

Miller Pettersson Reinhart

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Hoglander RNH Podkolzin

Holy top9

Btw i know people will say cap would make it not happen but Edler will sign for low money, Eriksson will get bough out, Beagle likely traded, Virtanen could be gone, Ferland off the books.  there would be money. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

if our pick is 10-12 i say send it in a Reinhart trade. 

Sign RNH 

Miller Pettersson Reinhart

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Hoglander RNH Podkolzin

Holy top9

Btw i know people will say cap would make it not happen but Edler will sign for low money, Eriksson will get bough out, Beagle likely traded, Virtanen could be gone, Ferland off the books.  there would be money. 

If our pick is that low I would definitely send it for Reinhart (assuming he signs a reasonable extension to play at home).  They have to eat a contract to make the money work, or we make it a bit bigger.

Our 1st
Schmidt
Roussel
DiPietro

for
Reinhart
Risolainen

They get rid or two players who don't want to be there.  They get a replacement D who can play both sides, and a really solid goalie prospect.  We get a top 6 winger and a more physical D.  Then we just need a 3C and our roster is pretty set (I don't think we can afford RNH and we aren't good enough to have him come here cheap)... I would rather have Reinhart as a winger than as a centre.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Reinhart
Pearson-XX-Podkolzin
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan
Highmore-Lind

Hughes-Hamonic
Rathbone-Ristolainen
Edler-Myers
Bowie

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 5/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Imho, the Sabres will want to package Jeff Skinner's albatross contract on any trade involving Reinhart. They will probably be "content" with one of the following:

• High first round pick + fillers
  • Potential top-6 forward + fillers

For example:

• Our first round pick + Eriksson's salary + Roussel's salary + other fillers
  • Podkolzin + Eriksson's salary + other fillers

I hope that the Benning or whoever the next GM will be will quickly hang up the phone as soon as Skinner is mentioned.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:27 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

The only way they can get rid of Skinner is in a Jack Eichel deal.  Even then what team can take on $19 million in salary?

I think EP answered it. Buffalo may want to move Skinner but I can’t see it happening. That’s a huge cap hit with a ton of term left. Who can even take that on? Reinhart’s a good player but definitely not worth taking on Skinner’s abomination of a contract. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I bet Guenther is gone by the time our pick rolls around.
Im still choked we passed on Caufield, so getting Guenther would make me very happy. 

i was thinking if we didnt pick podkolzin we would get Caufield. Am happy with Podkolzin though

On 5/17/2021 at 11:43 AM, bigbadcanucks said:

Come on Provost...what do you expect from Sabres fans?  After all, most are Maple Leaf fans wannabees living south of Hamilton on the rusted out Horseshoe.  Seriously, I've been to Buffalo and it's the armpit of New York State.  Only thing good about Buffalo is the Anchor Bar, where a nice little Italian lady gave birth to chicken wings (and their square pizzas are killer).

Syracuse, NY is the armpit of New York State. Albany is its... family forum...

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think EP answered it. Buffalo may want to move Skinner but I can’t see it happening. That’s a huge cap hit with a ton of term left. Who can even take that on? Reinhart’s a good player but definitely not worth taking on Skinner’s abomination of a contract. 

Makes me think...

The worst NHL recaptures currently on the books... some scary stuff...

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

If our pick is that low I would definitely send it for Reinhart (assuming he signs a reasonable extension to play at home).  They have to eat a contract to make the money work, or we make it a bit bigger.

Our 1st
Schmidt
Roussel
DiPietro

for
Reinhart
Risolainen

They get rid or two players who don't want to be there.  They get a replacement D who can play both sides, and a really solid goalie prospect.  We get a top 6 winger and a more physical D.  Then we just need a 3C and our roster is pretty set (I don't think we can afford RNH and we aren't good enough to have him come here cheap)... I would rather have Reinhart as a winger than as a centre.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Reinhart
Pearson-XX-Podkolzin
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan
Highmore-Lind

Hughes-Hamonic
Rathbone-Ristolainen
Edler-Myers
Bowie

I'm dead set against trading our first, but I'd make this trade in a second.

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I'm dead set against trading our first, but I'd make this trade in a second.

I'm against dealing that pick as well - if the right defenseman is available when we draft.

I'd prefer we have the ELC for cap flexibility as opposed to acquire RFAs - and in Ristolainen's case, he's an expiring UFA in a year - so unless that deal comes with a precooked extension - or at the very least talks to assess his interest in re-signing here, there's significant risk.  RR walking in a year would be a real fail risk underlying that deal.

However, if the right defenseman is not there when we pick, then I find @Provost's proposal interesting / a good framework.

Reinhart alone - I don't think I'd move on - with the simplest reason being that I think he comes at a position (RW imo - I'm not sure about his viability as a future center) that we are strongest/deepest in youth.  He's just not a principal need, and maybe not even a secondary need.   However, that's not necessarily reason to not make a deal - and additionally, BPA when we pick - who knows how that fits in terms of future organizational need.   For me, I'd see that as a draft floor type deal.  My real hesitancy would be 'window' considerations, and that this kind of deal ages our 'core' on an earlier trajectory. 

Would Ristolainen be the right partner for Hughes?  Again, for me, if they're making deals where they are moving primary assets like a top 10ish pick - I'd be focused on that principal need.  If the intent is not to play him with Hughes, I don't make that deal - I retain our assets for that purpose.

Alternatively, could we possibly take advantage of the e.d. and land a Cal Foote?  I also like Timmins, but I'm not sure he'd be available, and he doesn't quite have the physical stature of a Ristolainen or Foote - something that would look nice alongside Hughes imo.

For me - the most promising possibility on the coming market, might be an expansion draft move of a player like Foote that Tampa, once again, has to make.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm against dealing that pick as well - if the right defenseman is available when we draft.

I'd prefer we have the ELC for cap flexibility as opposed to acquire RFAs - and in Ristolainen's case, he's an expiring UFA in a year - so unless that deal comes with a precooked extension - or at the very least talks to assess his interest in re-signing here, there's significant risk.  RR walking in a year would be a real fail risk underlying that deal.

However, if the right defenseman is not there when we pick, then I find @Provost's proposal interesting / a good framework.

The "scenario" I was responding to was that if we dropped outside the top 10 in picks, so presumably those D we need to target won't be around by then... or at least there is a low enough chance they would be that we could make a deal for that pick proactively if we had to decide before the actual draft floor.

I absolutely agree that if we are picking high enough, we should get one of those high end D.  We will still need players on their ELCs to be able to afford the extensions we will need to our current players over the next 2-4 years.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I believe that getting rid of Skinner has got to be their top priority especially with some young guys that will need to get paid. There is currently one team in the NHL with a ton of cap space, and they happen to also be on the West Coast. Would Reinhart be enough of an incentive for the Kraken to get Skinner's salary? What will Buffalo want in return?

Reinhart is a great player no doubt, but I wonder if he's a fit here. Reinhart is undoubtedly better playing up the middle than he is on the wing, which is where we would most likely be playing him, since our top 6 center position seems pretty set in stone for the next several years. Add to that the fact that our RW is strong as well and I just don't think it's a fit, especially with Podkolzin likely making the jump next year.

If we do go after a top 6 player, I'd rather look for a playmaking LW....ideally one with some size and grit if possible.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

The "scenario" I was responding to was that if we dropped outside the top 10 in picks, so presumably those D we need to target won't be around by then... or at least there is a low enough chance they would be that we could make a deal for that pick proactively if we had to decide before the actual draft floor.

I absolutely agree that if we are picking high enough, we should get one of those high end D.  We will still need players on their ELCs to be able to afford the extensions we will need to our current players over the next 2-4 years.

Looks like Canucks will be in 9th or 10th spot prior to lotto.  So we get anywhere between 9-12 spot if luck is not on our side.

I don't see anyone in that range that can immediately step into the NHL.  Probably 2 years away.

I'd be OK with your trade proposal to get Reinhart.  Not sure about getting Risto though.

1st + Roussel + B prospect for Reinhart. 

10 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I believe that getting rid of Skinner has got to be their top priority especially with some young guys that will need to get paid. There is currently one team in the NHL with a ton of cap space, and they happen to also be on the West Coast. Would Reinhart be enough of an incentive for the Kraken to get Skinner's salary? What will Buffalo want in return?

Geeze I don’t know. $9 million dollar cap hit for six more years- that’s got to be the biggest cap dump ever, right? Possibly in term and I think definitely in cap hit. Looks to have $50 million remaining out of the original $72 million as well so quite a bit of actual cash left to pay. 

I think the price would be so exorbitant it’ll almost preclude any deal, especially with many owners apparently looking to save cash in the short term future. I imagine it would have to look something like the equivalent of three first rounders at the least given the aforementioned factors. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Geeze I don’t know. $9 million dollar cap hit for six more years- that’s got to be the biggest cap dump ever, right? Possibly in term and I think definitely in cap hit. Looks to have $50 million remaining out of the original $72 million as well so quite a bit of actual cash left to pay. 

I think the price would be so exorbitant it’ll almost preclude any deal, especially with many owners apparently looking to save cash in the short term future. I imagine it would have to look something like the equivalent of three first rounders at the least given the aforementioned factors. 

They're so screwed.