Why is Miller wanting out?

VAN

Reinhart

Ristolainen

BUF

Miller

Pearson

Virtanen

Probably because he wants to win and he can see this team is not going anywhere soon.

Players aren’t stupid, they know the game better than anyone. Do you really think he believes in the coaching staff and what he’s seen the last two years?

4 hours ago, 70seven said:

I’m thinking 

Miller

Schmidt

Reinhart

Risto

Unfortunately I think this may just be reshuffling the deck and we give up a valuable heart and sole guy to do it.

If we could sub Miller for pick/prospects I'd be in then. but depends what kind of package Buffalo are looking to get in return.

Buffalo doesn't need to give up a top young player to trade Skinner.  They have over $32 million in cap space and nobody wants to play there.  They can get even more cap space with an Eichel trade.

If I was Buffalo I would try and get as much as possible for Eichel and I would trade Reinhardt for a first round pick as he will walk next summer.  

I wouldn't be opposed to trading our first round pick for Reinhart if it falls out of the top 10.  That player we draft probably won't be in the lineup for at least 2 years and Reinhart can give us immediate scoring help as JB said he wanted.  But the key would be you would need to lock up Reinhart to a long term deal at the time of the trade so he doesn't become a UFA and potentially walk.  

Either that or you just wait until next summer when you can sign him for free.  If Benning could actually be given one more year of just letting the current contracts expire and leave the cap space open, we'd be much better off to make a move in 2022 for a top UFA and to fix our defence.  But because of all the pressure he will probably have to make his moves this year.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Buffalo doesn't need to give up a top young player to trade Skinner.  They have over $32 million in cap space and nobody wants to play there.  They can get even more cap space with an Eichel trade.

If I was Buffalo I would try and get as much as possible for Eichel and I would trade Reinhardt for a first round pick as he will walk next summer.  

I wouldn't be opposed to trading our first round pick for Reinhart if it falls out of the top 10.  That player we draft probably won't be in the lineup for at least 2 years and Reinhart can give us immediate scoring help as JB said he wanted.  But the key would be you would need to lock up Reinhart to a long term deal at the time of the trade so he doesn't become a UFA and potentially walk.  

Either that or you just wait until next summer when you can sign him for free.  If Benning could actually be given one more year of just letting the current contracts expire and leave the cap space open, we'd be much better off to make a move in 2022 for a top UFA and to fix our defence.  But because of all the pressure he will probably have to make his moves this year.

If JB is trading a 1st, it'll be after there are assurances that a long term contract is in place.

The 6x6 special.

Lol. 

:P

On 5/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think if we lose the lotto there is a good chance benning would offer 9-11 to buff for reinhart. Benning will get his last chance and would want an impact player for help now. 

I agree 

benning will be playoffs or bust next year 

he is going to trade that first:

to BUFF

1st

OJ

roussel (balances cap a bit more)

costmar

to VAN

Reinhart 

miller Peter Hogz

Reinhardt Bo Boeser 

pearson Sutter Podz

Motte Grovac Mcewan

Gadjo Lind Lockwood 

or 

Miller Peter Hogz

Podz Reinhardt Boess

Pearson Bo Highmore 

Motte Grovac Mcewan - heavy line 

Gadjo Sutter 

that’s good depth 

if this doesn’t work I could see JB go after wennberg or Colemans as ufas 

whst to do about D???

savard ? But he’s not really a top 2 D man 

Edited by Canucks Curse

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I agree 

benning will be playoffs or bust next year 

he is going to trade that first:

to BUFF

1st

OJ

roussel (balances cap a bit more)

costmar

to VAN

Reinhart 

if this doesn’t work I could see JB go after wennberg or Colemans as ufas 

whst to do about D???

savard ? But he’s not really a top 2 D man 

This seems somewhere in the vicinity... though Benning seems to indicate that the team will be getting another good young player with their 1st round pick, so maybe that pick isn't on the table for trades.  If we drop I think we should definitely use the pick as an asset, once you get past the top few players it seems to be a complete crap shoot.  Ideally you make that decision on the draft floor as you see "your" targets go off the board, but if a good deal comes up before the draft you might need to jump on that.

I would say DiPietro would have more value to them than Juolevi, but that is a minor niggling difference.  Juolevi takes an expansion slot (unless this trade happens after expansion), Buffalo doesn't really have any high end goaltending prospects in the pipeline.  Probably LA beats any deal we could come up with... but I would rather wait a year and get him on the UFA market than pay full market rate.  It is pretty easy to "leak" that we are pursuing a trade for him or send some indication we want him, so if he wants to play at home he can choose not to sign an extension if he gets traded.

Edited by Provost

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

This seems somewhere in the vicinity... though Benning seems to indicate that the team will be getting another good young player with their 1st round pick, so maybe that pick isn't on the table for trades.  If we drop I think we should definitely use the pick as an asset, once you get past the top few players it seems to be a complete crap shoot.  Ideally you make that decision on the draft floor as you see "your" targets go off the board, but if a good deal comes up before the draft you might need to jump on that.

I would say DiPietro would have more value to them than Juolevi, but that is a minor niggling difference.  Juolevi takes an expansion slot (unless this trade happens after expansion), Buffalo doesn't really have any high end goaltending prospects in the pipeline.  Probably LA beats any deal we could come up with... but I would rather wait a year and get him on the UFA market than pay full market rate.  It is pretty easy to "leak" that we are pursuing a trade for him or send some indication we want him, so if he wants to play at home he can choose not to sign an extension if he gets traded.

here's a crazy pre-coffee thought: lets trade our 1st and Loui to NJ for their NYI 1st and a 3rd. NJ then has two top 10 picks, pretty sweet and worth taking Loui.

We then offer sheet Sammy, somewhere around 6 AAV for 5 years. I doubt Buffalo matches, and if they trade him to someone else we keep the picks and have moved salary. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

here's a crazy pre-coffee thought: lets trade our 1st and Loui to NJ for their NYI 1st and a 3rd. NJ then has two top 10 picks, pretty sweet and worth taking Loui.

We then offer sheet Sammy, somewhere around 6 AAV for 5 years. I doubt Buffalo matches, and if they trade him to someone else we keep the picks and have moved salary. 

I like this idea.  Lots of outside the box thinking.  It’s basically trading our first and Loui for Sam.  Could we add Schmidt and get Risto somehow?  

Could do a straight up deal?

9OA + Schmidt for Sam and Risto?  

Your way is better.  We dumperoo Loui.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Some other interesting UFAs out there - Landeskog - of course he may resign in COL

Doug Hamilton- JB and JW went after him hard in 2014...

Hamilton would be nice, but we would need to dump Schmidt first, and clear all his cap.  

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Offer sheets happens during free agency.   Which means after the draft. So the picks would be next year 22/23.  And it would basically mean an unprotected 1st.

Unless I'm totally wrong on this.

28 minutes ago, BPA said:

Offer sheets happens during free agency.   Which means after the draft. So the picks would be next year 22/23.  And it would basically mean an unprotected 1st.

Unless I'm totally wrong on this.

ah crap. I knew I should have had my coffee 1st. 

• Haha 1

Just now, BPA said:

Lol.

That's why I'm having my coffee while posting.

:P

Maybe its still worth it tho, we drop down from say 9th to 21st this year to dump Loui, move next years 1st in the offer sheet for Sammy, which shouldn't be a lotto pick with the F talent we're adding in Sammy and Podkolzin.

Question is, does NJ take Loui to move up that many spots. I would think so since they won't be very good next year either and two top 10s is a special opportunity.