The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

On 5/26/2021 at 7:32 AM, Me_ said:

I think “agressive” in this context means realizing major changes need to be done.

Our kids are mighty fine; Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Höglander, Demko…

Juolevi will have a major up curve, Podkolzin will probably surprise everyone on how ready he is…

…and Virtanen will become a full-on Covid-struck bar whore and disappear into the Vancouver night.

B0281DCD-FAD8-4D78-8BE2-29F9A7465516.jpeg

I’m pretty sure Benning will keep his bread-and-butter 1st pick, but anything else can be had for the right price.

Personally, I love Miller’s game. But that’s it. 

Anything else to me, could be available for transaction; buyouts, not re-signing players, trades and promotions.

Major changes do not not need to be done.  

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I actually read his comments as wanting to improve right away rather than tear down and rebuild all over again with picks and prospects.

It probably mostly depends on whether they can keep Eichel onboard and think they can surround him with different players.

Like if we could fashion a deal for Ristolainen and Reinhart for Schmidt, Beagle, and our 1st (assuming we don’t win the lottery)... they get a good roster player and then could flip that 1st round pick for a good young NHLer under club control.

I didn't hear it that way but I guess we'll see.

Buffalo is into analytics and that could make it harder to convince them to take Beagle or even Schmidt.  Buffalo doesn't seem to have a partner for Schmidt and without the McNabb equivalent it could be a repeat of Vancouver.   They both have limited no trades too and not sure they'll have Buffalo on their lists.  

How happy would Schmidt even be - he goes from contender Vegas to Vancouver who missed the playoffs to Buffalo who is even further away.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Major changes do not not need to be done.  

If they do not not need to be done, then they need to be done…

Correct?

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Buffalo is into analytics and that could make it harder to convince them to take Beagle or even Schmidt.  Buffalo doesn't seem to have a partner for Schmidt and without the McNabb equivalent it could be a repeat of Vancouver.   They both have limited no trades too and not sure they'll have Buffalo on their lists.  

How happy would Schmidt even be - he goes from contender Vegas to Vancouver who missed the playoffs to Buffalo who is even further away.  

The happiness of Schmidt can be counted in five point nine five million ways per year.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, mll said:

they can be analytics based, but that doesn't change the fact that Buffalo's lineup is in tatters again. Its sad to know they are going to vacuum up more high end talent in the draft again for the next few years. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they can be analytics based, but that doesn't change the fact that Buffalo's lineup is in tatters again. Its sad to know they are going to vacuum up more high end talent in the draft again for the next few years. 

It is but instead of trying more duct tape they should trade their unhappy players and start anew - eg Ottawa who seem to have something good going with their young players.  Replacing unhappy vets by other unhappy vets is not going to get them anywhere.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

It is but instead of trying more duct tape they should trade their unhappy players and start anew - eg Ottawa who seem to have something good going with their young players.  Replacing unhappy vets by other unhappy vets is not going to get them anywhere.  

I totally agree with that. 

Can you imagine how upset Miller would be if we traded him for Reinhart, e.g.? oy. I wouldn't want to be the one giving him that news. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Elliotte thinks Buffalo would take the high first round pick in this season to move Reinhart.

Reinhart an RFA this summer....is 9th enough to get it done. JB has had an affinity for Reinhart since 2014 and even offered Shinkaruk, 6th overall (Virtanen), and 24th overall (McCann) to Florida and Buffalo.

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
Reinhart an RFA this summer....is 9th enough to get it done. JB has had an affinity for Reinhart since 2014 and even offered Shinkaruk, 6th overall (Virtanen), and 24th overall (McCann) to Florida and Buffalo.

While intriguing, I'm wondering if the better play is (hopefully) getting a stud from the draft and having him contribute in a year or so on a cheap ELC. No guarantees of course, but being that Reinhart needs a new contract that IS a guaranteed expense...

To Canucks:  Reinhart

To Sabres:  9OA + Rathbone + Roussel

Sabres get two potential future core pieces while helping the Canucks accommodate Reinhart’s salary.   I’m not a fan of the idea of trading Rathbone but realistically, Reinhart would likely cost the 9OA + one of Hoglander / Podkolzin / Rathbone.  

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Sabres get two potential future core pieces while helping the Canucks accommodate Reinhart’s salary.   I’m not a fan of the idea of trading Rathbone but realistically, Reinhart would likely cost the 9OA + one of Hoglander / Podkolzin / Rathbone.  

From what we've seen with the flat cap it's a stretch to say that's an overpayment. 

The fact we are so bare in prospects I'd hate to give up 9th and Rathbone..

2022 first, JV, 2021 2nd and Rafferty!

Considering all these top tier players are wanting to leave... 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

overpayment with rathbone, throw in Ollie who was the fifth pick

Have to think about it from Buffalo's perspe tive too, not just what makes sense for the Canucks.

They are going to want a young, core player back for Reinhart most likely. They cant go back into a rebuild taking picks and prospects. Or even worse, taking on garbage contracts for overpaid, underwhelming players. Doesnt help them sell big change to their fan base.

9th OA plus two guys like Eriksson, Beahle, Roussel, etc aint happening. They have enough garbage contracts they will get offers where they dont have to take any back. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

25 yr old reinhart playing with horvat, man i have to admit that would be pretty damn huge for this team. Hes never had a winger like that before in his career.

how do we fix the bottom 6 when this would most likely take up so much of any cap we have left?

we would definitely have money to sign him to an extension next offseason with money for probably 2 Defenseman. Tough call