The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Would be better to sign only 1 year placeholders this offseason, trade them at the deadline, and use those assets and cap space to acquire and sign the right guys to really revamp both F and D next summer. 

Maybe you get Reinhart on a good deal as a UFA.

Hes still a RFA at the end of his deal after next season so we would have to trade for him. I think having our top 6 set for the future as soon as next season might be the best way to go moving forward. Dude is a guaranteed 25 to 35 goals and just hitting his prime.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I wouldnt bet on either signing as cheap as we would need them to. Plus both will want nmcwhich is a huge hard no to me.

Bet we can get them both for under 4 mil combined.

We have enough cap to make upgrades. Stop acting like the Pearson contract broke the bank.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hes still a RFA at the end of his deal after next season so we would have to trade for him. I think having our top 6 set for the future as soon as next season might be the best way to go moving forward. Dude is a guaranteed 25 to 35 goals and just hitting his prime.

Cant afford him until next summer at least. 

No chance Buffalo takes garbage contracts back for him and little chance JB will be able to move any dead cap.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bet we can get them both for under 4 mil combined.

We have enough cap to make upgrades. Stop acting like the Pearson contract broke the bank.

He broke the top 6 bank. No chance they have him anywhere but top 6 with that deal. They have to keep him where he is. Pearsons contract itself isnt bad. Its one more in the cap death by 1000 cuts though.

I doubt Edler signs for 2 to 2.5 mil. 

Find other placeholders for cheaper that dont require nmc so you have the option to deal them at the deadline. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He broke the top 6 bank. No chance they have him anywhere but top 6 with that deal. They have to keep him where he is.

Find other placeholders for cheaper that dont require nmc so you have the option to deal them at the deadline. 

Edler doesnt deserve more than 1 mill imo

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Not to mention we can easily sign Edler and Hamonic on the cheap.

Edler maybe. 

Hamonic not so much.  He deserves a raise and after a rough start he was one of Vancouver's better defensemen. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Edler maybe. 

Hamonic not so much.  He deserves a raise and after a rough start he was one of Vancouver's better defensemen. 

Would not be sad to see both go if it means term and nmc for either. 

Anything more than 1 year is too long for either, especially with no opportunity to trade or waive them.

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He broke the top 6 bank. No chance they have him anywhere but top 6 with that deal. They have to keep him where he is. Pearsons contract itself isnt bad. Its one more in the cap death by 1000 cuts though.

Edler if he signs without a NMC will want 4 m roughly. I just hope he walks. I’d be very surprised if he signs under 3.5. Hope I’m wrong. If he signs a cheap contract for what some people want here, Canucks just move that contract next deadline. Which is exactly what he doesn’t want. I say if he is to stay A 1yr for 2.75, with a Full NTC. Or let him walk

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He broke the top 6 bank. No chance they have him anywhere but top 6 with that deal. They have to keep him where he is. 

No matter how many times you write it, still doesn't make it true. 

+/-$3m is not 'top 6' money.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No matter how many times you write it, still doesn't make it true. 

+/-$3m is not 'top 6' money.

I mean it can be but that’s a really good bargain.

3 million is in line with what most veteran third liners make around the NHL.

• Vintage 2

I think this would be the better way to go for us

9th OA
Loui Eriksson ( 1 yr left - 6mil AAV/ 3mil real dollars)
Jonah Gadjovich
2022 3rd round pick

for

Reinhart

2022 4th rounder

clearing erikksons contract gives us more than enough room to fit reinharts salary by removing LE cap hit. Adding a prospect and draft pick to sweeten the deal.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

While intriguing, I'm wondering if the better play is (hopefully) getting a stud from the draft and having him contribute in a year or so on a cheap ELC. No guarantees of course, but being that Reinhart needs a new contract that IS a guaranteed expense...

My take on the 9th overall for Sam is do it. Whoever we draft is likely 2 seasons from making the team and 3-4 from being someone who could possibly help the team more than a guy like Sam could right now if said player even reaches that level. I think with the roster we have it makes more sense to try to ice the best possible team before we get to the 2nd and third  contracts of the core. Look at a team like the Avs, Sakic 2 years in a row held on to his picks and prospects and now even tho they are still obviously a contender, have to re-up Cale, Landy, Grub and Nate and Rants soon after. All that cap space he had is gone and unless he moves on from key core pieces he's not able to add anything significant. The Nucks should be all in the next few seasons and hopefully when the core needs new contracts the cap will have started to go up again but if not guys like Myers and Pearson will be coming off the books.

If we just keep things the same we are just wasting the core who are on elcs and bridge deals. If we can add a guy like Sam, and sign a guy like Larsson to play with Quinn and get a bit lucky with a few cheap UFA signings for some depth, I think we can be a top team in the pacific. We still will have the 22-23 drafts to re-stock. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In what world is 3 million top six money? 5 million seems to be what most top six players that aren't on elcs seem to make. I know you hate Benning but no need to make stuff up to try and prove a point. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This year is likely going to be another writeoff anyway. May as well hold all the chips to go all in next summer.

Gotta say we see things very differently. I think as bad as things were last season without an insanely crap schedule, Covid and Petey getting hurt we make the playoffs. The team like most of us predicted would be better after that dumb 19 games in 27 days with no practise and no pre-season to start the year and they were much better 12-5 even without Petey until covid gutted the team and had them play an unprecedented final 20 games. I guess we find out in a couple of months.   

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

In what world is 3 million top six money? 5 million seems to be what most top six players that aren't on elcs seem to make. I know you hate Benning but no need to make stuff up to try and prove a point. 

I dont hate Benning. I hate wasting cap on average players based on spotty pro scouting that thinks actual skill is less important than some non provable intangibles.

Its not top 6 money on its own. In combination with every other 500k or 1 mil overpayment though it adds up pretty quickly. Its just a waste of top 6 money and a spot on a guy who really isnt good enough to be in the top 6 on any team hoping to contend and whose numbers tank so significantly without Horvat that he has to now be tethered to him for 3 more years in order to justify overpaying him. Its not a coincidence that many around the NHL world were shocked Benning gave him that contract, especially in a non competitive situation. 

That 3 plus million could have been used to get a long way toward an actual upgrade who is a top 6 player. Or a top D partner for Hughes. Or an actually effective 3rd line center. Or hell they could have kept Toffoli and shipped out Pearson, which probably should have happened.

Pearson had a career year sandwiched between two terrible years. Make all the excuses you want, its simply a fact that 20% of those career year points came with an empty net. Sell high on guys like that, dont re-sign them especially in the middle of a season they are regressing so badly despite some of the most advantageous opportunity on the team.

Every dollar counts. And now we wasted that money on a guy who has to be tethered to, and will likely continue to drag down Horvat. Look at their numbers together and apart, Horvat isnt the one who needs Pearson by any stretch.

I would be interested to hear one contending team that anyone thinks would have Pearson in their top 6 and on their #1 pp unit. My guess would be none of them. And his numbers were bad WITH that opportunity 2 of the past 3 years (and very overrated due to EN points in the other one). What will they look like if he drops to a 3rd line without Horvat and Hoglander? 

So if the goal is to actually contend, you have to improve on guys like that in roles that dont help the team and at dollars that dont make sense based on what they bring.