The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Since we are doing trade proposals, I'd consider the following.

#40 pick this year, unprotected 2022 1st, Juolevi, Lind and Eriksson for Reinhart and Ristolainen. Or #9, 2022 2nd, Juolevi, Lind and Eriksson for Reinhart and Ristolainen.

Or personally I would do, #9, Juolevi, Lind, and Eriksson for Ristolainen and Buf 2021 2nd (#32?).

I think Juolevi and Lind are "expendable" given their expansion eligibility. Rathbone could "replace" Juolevi in the depth chart and we would protect Schmidt, Myers and Risto while Hughes is exempt which sets our top 4 dmen. Re-sign Edler and Hamonic to fill out the defense. Lind can be replaced with Podkolzin and would further be expendable if we acquire Reinhart. Personally I could do without the extra cap on wing with Reinhart and rather focus on the defense which is why I wouldn't even target him. We would lose the #9, but still gain a solid pick at #32.

Given that Hughes and Rathbone fill a very similar role, I think they need to keep OJ because he provides a different element than either of tjhose two, without giving up a whole lot of offense.  I don't think they trade any of the three, personally, but if they did it should probably be Rathbone

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m gonna predict the Kraken are actually bad next season.

Teams learned from the last expansion draft. I don’t see Seattle being given a bunch of gifts for taking certain players.

And even then the way Vegas came together so quick I don’t think that is likely to happen again.

I agree, I think they will try to acquire picks and prospects with a goal of having more lotto 1st round picks in the Bedard and the other guy draft in what 2023, they sound like the next generational talents

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Given that Hughes and Rathbone fill a very similar role, I think they need to keep OJ because he provides a different element than either of tjhose two, without giving up a whole lot of offense.  I don't think they trade any of the three, personally, but if they did it should probably be Rathbone

Agreed, or if we are moving Schmidt at some point in the next year or so then we could have a left side of Hughes, Oj and Rathbone if the latter 2 show enough progress this coming season...which might be wishful thinking but best to look on the bright side and have an optimistic point of view

10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think this would be the better way to go for us

9th OA
Loui Eriksson ( 1 yr left - 6mil AAV/ 3mil real dollars)
Jonah Gadjovich
2022 3rd round pick

for

Reinhart

2022 4th rounder

clearing erikksons contract gives us more than enough room to fit reinharts salary by removing LE cap hit. Adding a prospect and draft pick to sweeten the deal.

I'd consider this but for the Buffalo 2nd and 3rd with us taking Eakins back as well

9oa

Loui eriksson

Jonah Gadjovich

2022 4th round pick

reinhart

Eakins

2021 2nd round pick

221 3rd round pick

Buffalo sheds some cap a roster spot AND gets two top 10 picks.  Meanwhile Van has a decent chance at getting those rare 2nd round gems no eriksson and reini

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its possible. But thats also going on the assumption that the Oilers, Flames, Ducks, etc cant also improve. And that the Kraken will be bad too. The Canucks have a lot of work to do to be competitive.

I can see Calgary and the Canucks making the playoffs and being able to improve on this years roster/outcome. Edmonton is going to have a hard time making a drastic improvement when 1/4 of their cap is allocated to 2 guys.  They have RNH, Koekoek, Chiasson, Haas, Nygard, Smith, Kulikov, Barrie and Larsson to re-sign and 21mil in cap space. They are losing 1-2 players for sure maybe 3. Thats not even including their RFAs, They will have to rely pretty heavily on McD and Drai even moreso. We’ll get a much better idea of how the top 4 will shape up when we see how the Krakens roster looks.

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

I can see Calgary and the Canucks making the playoffs and being able to improve on this years roster/outcome. Edmonton is going to have a hard time making a drastic improvement when 1/4 of their cap is allocated to 2 guys.  They have RNH, Koekoek, Chiasson, Haas, Nygard, Smith, Kulikov, Barrie and Larsson to re-sign and 21mil in cap space. They are losing 1-2 players for sure maybe 3. Thats not even including their RFAs, They will have to rely pretty heavily on McD and Drai even moreso. We’ll get a much better idea of how the top 4 will shape up when we see how the Krakens roster looks.

I dont think Edmonton will drop off all that much. They already rely on McD and Drai a ton. They dont have to improve a ton to still be a playoff team. If they make the wrong moves then maybe but I think they will still be pretty good.

The Kraken arent going to be stacked like Vegas I dont think, but I feel they will have a good NHL roster. They will have a lot of cap space to use to supplement the expansion draft selections.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

The way I see it is that if we do acquire Ristolainen, we would have to expose Juolevi. We could choose to expose Myers instead, but then we could lose an RD when that is the area we are trying to fill. So instead of potentially losing Juolevi, we could leverage him into this deal. Now I agree Rathbone is more on the offensive side of things, but I think he can handle the defensive side at least better than Hughes can. The main thing for Rathbone is he's expansion exempt. But I would give him a year in Abbotsford (plus a few call-ups) to get big minutes in all areas and to hopefully gain some size. Rathbone long term could replace what Schmidt provides IMO with the right development. OJ would currently fill a bottom pair role if he's up to the task, but we could have a stop gap of say Edler (or another cheap UFA signing that can PK well) to fill the gap.

I like OJ, but if we can bring in someone like Ristolainen, I am fine parting ways with OJ to make it work. If Buffalo wants Rathbone instead because of the expansion exemption, then that will change the value.

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The way I see it is that if we do acquire Ristolainen, we would have to expose Juolevi. We could choose to expose Myers instead, but then we could lose an RD when that is the area we are trying to fill. So instead of potentially losing Juolevi, we could leverage him into this deal. Now I agree Rathbone is more on the offensive side of things, but I think he can handle the defensive side at least better than Hughes can. The main thing for Rathbone is he's expansion exempt. But I would give him a year in Abbotsford (plus a few call-ups) to get big minutes in all areas and to hopefully gain some size. Rathbone long term could replace what Schmidt provides IMO with the right development. OJ would currently fill a bottom pair role if he's up to the task, but we could have a stop gap of say Edler (or another cheap UFA signing that can PK well) to fill the gap.

I like OJ, but if we can bring in someone like Ristolainen, I am fine parting ways with OJ to make it work. If Buffalo wants Rathbone instead because of the expansion exemption, then that will change the value.

Be crazy to not retain a cheap ELC OJ for expansion and keep a now replaced Myers with the addition of Ristolainen. Ristolainen is a 2nd pair D for me as he is not the guy I would want paired with Hughes and NEITHER is Myers so no point in protecting him imo. We can retain hamonic on a 2 year deal for way less of a cap hit

33 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think Edmonton will drop off all that much. They already rely on McD and Drai a ton. They dont have to improve a ton to still be a playoff team. If they make the wrong moves then maybe but I think they will still be pretty good.

The Kraken arent going to be stacked like Vegas I dont think, but I feel they will have a good NHL roster. They will have a lot of cap space to use to supplement the expansion draft selections.

They might not drop off that much, but when they start playing the Colorados and Vegas's and Lightnings of the league, they arent going to have an easy time. The L’s will start to pile up. 
The Canadian division being a weaker but equal division, Edmonton and Toronto could manage alright on star power alone. But when they start facing teams they wont have as much success. It will be a fight for EDM this season. They got out to a really hot start this season and took advantage of teams starting the season slow. Now that the divisions are open to the league, I can see teams who made or missed the playoffs either missing or making the playoffs this season. Theres a few teams like NSH, DAL, MIN, PHI, NYR, PIT, VAN, CGY, TOR and STL who I could see potentially having the opposite out come at the end of the season. 

Its hard to say how the Seattle draft will go, but I can see them getting some good players through the ED regardless of how the VGK draft went and teams not wanting to make the same type of deals. But at the same time, how many teams are going to let Seattle take a key guy out of their system without trying to strike a deal. Either way, teams are going to lose a decent player.

I have a lot of hope and a positive feeling about Van next season making the playoffs.

38D04534-ABAF-4605-BC45-F0F2C52F0692.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Be crazy to not retain a cheap ELC OJ for expansion and keep a now replaced Myers with the addition of Ristolainen. Ristolainen is a 2nd pair D for me as he is not the guy I would want paired with Hughes and NEITHER is Myers so no point in protecting him imo. We can retain hamonic on a 2 year deal for way less of a cap hit

Fair enough, but the point is I would be okay adding Juolevi in a trade for Ristolainen. I think it would be much more imposing to have Ristolainen and Myers in the same defense group especially come playoff time. Plus Myers is proven. Juolevi may be cheaper, but unless he can find the next level to his game soon, he may not provide much long term value anyway. I'm willing to risk that potential because we have someone like Rathbone in the system (plus Utunen, Jurmo, and Truscott all as LD prospect depth with potential).

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its possible. But thats also going on the assumption that the Oilers, Flames, Ducks, etc cant also improve. And that the Kraken will be bad too. The Canucks have a lot of work to do to be competitive.

Fortunately for us we have a leg up on ANA and SJ cycle.   I'd include LA but Blake did the smart thing and sold assets to give his aging core one more crack while preparing for the full rebuild which eventually is coming.   SJ tripled down on their re-tool with EK...it won't work and they have the worst pool on the entire league and have for been bad in that regard for many years.   They are just hanging on but the cliff is there.  ANA would be a lot worse without Gibson, they are rebuilding for sure, and it's going to take some time.   CAL is an enigma.   Should be a lot better then they actually are.   Still in win now mode but that could change.   EDM ... well McDavid and Drasaitl seems to be enough in the regular season anyways.   They do finally have some up and comers that aren't first overalls coming in too.  

Seattle scares me more then any of those teams.   Vegas for sure is the team to beat.    Wouldn't surprise me if the Kraken end up in the top three either.   Figure we are fighting for the 3-5 overall finish at this point ... once we are in hope it's not Vegas off the hop, but that's exactly what the team needs to aspire to beat.  

Just now, IBatch said:

Fortunately for us we have a leg up on ANA and SJ cycle.   I'd include LA but Blake did the smart thing and sold assets to give his aging core one more crack while preparing for the full rebuild which eventually is coming.   SJ tripled down on their re-tool with EK...it won't work and they have the worst pool on the entire league and have for been bad in that regard for many years.   They are just hanging on but the cliff is there.  ANA would be a lot worse without Gibson, they are rebuilding for sure, and it's going to take some time.   CAL is an enigma.   Should be a lot better then they actually are.   Still in win now mode but that could change.   EDM ... well McDavid and Drasaitl seems to be enough in the regular season anyways.   They do finally have some up and comers that aren't first overalls coming in too.  

Seattle scares me more then any of those teams.   Vegas for sure is the team to beat.    Wouldn't surprise me if the Kraken end up in the top three either.   Figure we are fighting for the 3-5 overall finish at this point ... once we are in hope it's not Vegas off the hop, but that's exactly what the team needs to aspire to beat.  

I think ANA and LA are both in a decent position to improve quickly depending on which way they decide to go.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think ANA and LA are both in a decent position to improve quickly depending on which way they decide to go.

They will improve but it's going to take time.  ANA is already in full rebuild mode, LA did a significant re-set on their aging core by trading Pearson, Martinez, Muzzin and TT - and as a result are starting to see some dividends.   Unless Byfield and Valardi are awesome, it's still going to be a tough road for them to make the show with that core.   ANA ... doubt they will be relevant for another four years or so.   And SJ is treading water until Vlasic and Burns are done ... Wilson is a perpetual re-tooler,  it worked too.   But he's hit a wall and is going to have to pay the piper just like we did (and still are really, 9 years of crap drafting adds up) and just like Detroit is doing.  

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

They will improve but it's going to take time.  ANA is already in full rebuild mode, LA did a significant re-set on their aging core by trading Pearson, Martinez, Muzzin and TT - and as a result are starting to see some dividends.   Unless Byfield and Valardi are awesome, it's still going to be a tough road for them to make the show with that core.   ANA ... doubt they will be relevant for another four years or so. 

Anaheim and LA both have some good prospects. If ownership/management become impatient and decide they want to accelerate the competutiveness, they have the assets and cap to make some big moves. I wouldnt count that out as a possibility yet.

What I like about Reinhart is that he scores usually in two ways, net front tip/redirection on the powerplay or off the cycle in close on the net.

Something the Canucks did not do enough of was get bodies in front of the goalie and get dirty goals. A lot of the ways that the Canucks scored this past season was off the rush but couldn't sustain as many goals off of sustained pressured.

I looked at the goals package out of their 151 goals scored this season, 124 were 5v5

5v5 break down

59 goals - off the rush

28 goals - Sustained offensive pressure

23 goals - forced turnovers 

7 goals - off of faceoffs

7 goals - empty nets

Majority of the goals were opportunistic and off the rush plays. What the Canucks severely suffered was sustaining ongoing offensive pressure and converting on those chances.

Looking at Reinhart's goals from 2019-2020 + 2020-2021 season, majority of his goals were scored in tight or off of sustained pressured plays. Canucks need to start trending away from relying on off the rush plays and begin building an offensive system that garners more finish and reward off of sustained pressure in the ozone. However, that is Green's system, skating hard and looking for opportunities to capitalize by wearing them down with skating and outmuscling the opposition by sheer determination, but relying on this system is super demanding and requires a team to execute every detail very well in order for that to happen. Its no wonder our guys are gassed and exhausted. We saw so many mental errors, this system is not sustainable, the team needs to learn to play with the puck and more skill. 

I would love to add Reinhart...of course logistics and context matter. Regardless, the Canucks need to start sustaining better production that isn't solely reliant of getting chances off rushes. Well structured teams will shut them down easily.

• Cheers 1

Saw in the province....

https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-why-theres-buzz-to-deal-ninth-overall-pick-for-sam-reinhart

Initial reaction was NO FRICKING WAY ...that is a no deal!...but after reading the article...it gave me pause....

likely hood of it happening....slim....but on second thought it would be nice...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Led the Sabres in goals and pts, but had the team's second worst +/-  (-28)

Would he or Bo be the 3rd line C?

He'd likely play on Bo's wing; they had some chemistry together internationally and he's a better winger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1