The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

13 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Saw in the province....

https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-why-theres-buzz-to-deal-ninth-overall-pick-for-sam-reinhart

Initial reaction was NO FRICKING WAY ...that is a no deal!...but after reading the article...it gave me pause....

likely hood of it happening....slim....but on second thought it would be nice...

Reinhart would be a terrific addition but the Sabres would need to take on some cap (Roussel or Beagle).

9OA + Roussel + Juolevi should good errr done.

• Like 1

What's impressed me about Reinhart is how hard he can play.  Canucks need another Miller/Horvat type.  Plus Podz?  And the buzzsaws of Motte and Hoagie?  That would be a fun line up to watch go after teams.  

I guess it all depends on what the deal is/contract extension would be.  

There is history to this.  JB tried hard to trade up to originally draft Reinhart.

Cap room comes from  many possible places such as: Beagle stays on IR or buyout Eriksson, or he retires, or buyout Virt or buyout Holtby or send down Roussel, or or pass on re-signing Sutter or Edler or make a trade. 

There are many options to afford Reinhart this year.  And I think because he wants to come here and is only 25 and JB has previously tried to acquire him, it is a realistic possiblility.

And in the mind of JB it is an upgrade over Virt with a local guy. Neatly allows for Virt to be moved or bought out and a better player comes in.  I can very much see him liking that as a solution to the conundrum of Virtanen.

Edited by fanfor42

Tough one. I haven't really watched a lot of SR so it's tough to judge for me. To me it comes down to what JB thinks of what's left to pick at ninth. Also what's available in free agency that can provide scoring. Hoffman? I need to chew on this one a bit.

Just now, rekker said:

Tough one. I haven't really watched a lot of SR so it's tough to judge for me. To me it comes down to what JB thinks of what's left to pick at ninth. Also what's available in free agency that can provide scoring. Hoffman? I need to chew on this one a bit.

Don’t think the Sabres will let the deal wait to the draft floor.  Or at least the shouldn’t.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Don’t think the Sabres will let the deal wait to the draft floor.  Or at least the shouldn’t.  

Fair enough. If JB is going to dangle that ninth for SR I really hope he is dangling it for a top dman. Really, we need a top dman more than another winger. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hoffman is garbage unless he makes 4th line money

he is a black hole on defense. would be a good pp guy or late game offense guy to move up the lineup if you need goals like how they play myers with hughes when we are losing in the 3rd

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair enough. If JB is going to dangle that ninth for SR I really hope he is dangling it for a top dman. Really, we need a top dman more than another winger. 

Fair comment but wanting to get a top D and being able to are two different things.  I think the possibility exists that Reinhart comes and the nux can't wing a Seth Jones deal for example, but they can sign a decent UFA D to add to the mix.

• Cheers 1

If these guys (Edvinsson/Clarke/Eklund/Johnson/Guenther/McTavish) are all gone, I would do it but it will be further down my priority list. I agree with @Tom Sestito, I would explore what defencemen we could get for our 9th OA first because it's a bigger need.

I would dangle the pick and kick tires on Cernak, Jones, Parayko. 

• Like 1