The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

3 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

I feel like inorder to land Reinhart that Hoglander would need to be a piece going back so pass. Unless, they want Schmidt then Schmidt for Reinhart.

I'd trade Schmidt for Reinhardt if we could sign Larsson to replace him. Absolutely. Would probably take more than Schmidt, but I like that idea. 

5 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

I feel like inorder to land Reinhart that Hoglander would need to be a piece going back so pass. Unless, they want Schmidt then Schmidt for Reinhart.

ya. Hoglander is a better player and on a entry level contract 2 more yrs  id do reinhart and sabres 1st this yr for Hoglander  1st overall would be nice otherwise why would we trade Hoglander

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Picking up a stud D ready to insert into the lineup, even in a bottom pairing role, would be ideal. The chances of drafting a future top four D in the spots we may be drafting in looks very promising. Almost makes this year somewhat worth the pain. We need a top, young, cheap, ready to grow with this core dman sooo badly. RIP Luc, but a Luc Bourdon type would be perfect. 

OJ reminds me so much of Luc.  Similar style of play, criticized for draft position, and took longer to develop than hoped.  Bourdon was finally showing signs of becoming the guy we were hoping he could be when he tragically passed.  I want to give OJ the chance to do the same.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

OJ reminds me so much of Luc.  Similar style of play, criticized for draft position, and took longer to develop than hoped.  Bourdon was finally showing signs of becoming the guy we were hoping he could be when he tragically passed.  I want to give OJ the chance to do the same.

Absolutely. OJ is a smart dman with such a great first pass. Again though, we can't get Baumer away from this kid fast enough. 

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'd trade Schmidt for Reinhardt if we could sign Larsson to replace him. Absolutely. Would probably take more than Schmidt, but I like that idea. 

Schmidt, Lind, DiPietro, and a pick? I think that’s pretty decent value. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Adams Phones Benning

Hey Jim would you do a Juolevi and a 3rd for Sam

Jim, No thats to much here my counter, Lockwood, Podkolzin, and a 2nd, We this Oille is a future Lidstorm

Adams, Deal!!!!

Adams to Pegula , Start the car, start the car

um,

wut?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Sure, and a backdoor conversation with Larssons agent to sign him for the right-side and I'm game.

Then if we have enough space left sign say, Danault to center the third line. 

Höglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Reinhart

Pearson - Danault - Podkolzin 

Motte - Graovac - MacEwen

Hughes - Larsson

Juolevi - Hamonic

Rathbone - Myers

Demko

That‘s a really good looking group. 

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

then you low on right dmen  and no backup in 2022-23 hard pass

Almost like there’s a couple of free agency periods before then to sort that situation out. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

He probably said he wants to be traded "as far away from Buffalo as possible".

Haha he did but he specifically mentioned Vancouver and the West Coast.  

Listen to the interview, it was quite good and will make you feel better as a Canuck fan :) 

Would have been nice to poach him around 17/18 - when they seemed to be getting impatient with him in that market.

At this point he's an expiring RFA...(5.2 milion).

At a glance, 40 pts in 54 games....good production.

60.5% ozone starts, 50.0% corsi

45.7% faceoff guy

16 of 40 pts on the powerplay (3:02/game).

2.4 on ice goals for per 60 5on5, 4.2 against, (-28)

.857 on ice sv% (worst of all Sabres)

15 hits, 27 blocks, 17 takeaways, 25 giveaways

Has played mostly with Skinner, Oloffson, Hall, Eichel...in other words - three pretty vacant defensive linemates - so I'm not sure how much to make of his unimpressive numbers (production aside...)

But not much there that is compelling - enough to give up ELC contracts/players that provide cap flexibility (which he won't). 

Not sure the team has the right assets otherwise (aside from prospects like DiPietro, or the young RWs in the system...)

I don't think he makes much sense for us (Ristolainen would probably make more sense, but again, he's expiring a UFA in one year...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Haha he did but he specifically mentioned Vancouver and the West Coast.  

Listen to the interview, it was quite good and will make you feel better as a Canuck fan :) 

I will.

At the time I was on a work Zoom call, although not really paying attention, and couldn't resist posting my prediction of what he may have said or wanted to say.  ::D

As others have said, I think we just don't have the assets to get someone the calibre of Sam. The only players they would probably want in return are either one of our core players, or sure-fire assets like Hogs or Podz... none of which I would want to see us give up. Could a 2022 1st, 2021 3rd, Rafferty, DiPietro and a b-level prospect do it?

Still, if we could pull off anything like this I would expect a lot of scoring sooner than later...

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser - I believe Hoglander WILL be a top 3 winger, and if so, why not pair him with our best forward - who also happens to be Swedish.

Pearson - Horvat - Reinhart - Finally gives Bo his top-end winger. Horvat has the capability to score at a decent 1st line level, and I think with these wingers he would. If Pearson returns to last year's form like management expects, this is an excellent 2nd line.

Gadjovich - Miller - Podkolzin - I really like the idea of moving Miller to the 3rd, then giving him PP time, etc. If Gadjovich can translate his game to the NHL, and Podz turns up as hoped, this may be the best 3rd we've ever had.
Motte Lind Highmore - Lots of speed on the wing - Lind will have to work on his skating to keep up, but I think he can and will.
Hawryluk

...then sign Savard as a UFA.

Hughes Savard
Juolevi Schmidt 
Rathbone Myers

Now, I might be wrong but to me that is a balanced team with scoring ability, size, speed, and youth.

I don't see a fit to be honest. Only has 1 more year left on his deal at 5.2 mil and the way he has produced, he will look for big money. Already have so many guys to worry about for this year with Petey and Hughes. Next season Boeser, and the following year Miller, Horvat deals expire along with Hoglander's ELC. 

I'm also not as comfortable draining our prospect pool at this point, have some good pieces, but with a lot of promotions and graduations to the big club, the prospect pool is quite shallow at the moment. Considering we aren't even close to being in a position to compete yet, I'd rather hold off, gather picks, assets for a bigger fish. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Would have been nice to poach him around 17/18 - when they seemed to be getting impatient with him in that market.

At this point he's an expiring RFA...(5.2 milion).

At a glance, 40 pts in 54 games....good production.

60.5% ozone starts, 50.0% corsi

45.7% faceoff guy

16 of 40 pts on the powerplay (3:02/game).

2.4 on ice goals for per 60 5on5, 4.2 against, (-28)

.857 on ice sv% (worst of all Sabres)

15 hits, 27 blocks, 17 takeaways, 25 giveaways

Has played mostly with Skinner, Oloffson, Hall, Eichel...in other words - three pretty vacant defensive linemates - so I'm not sure how much to make of his unimpressive numbers (production aside...)

But not much there that is compelling - enough to give up ELC contracts/players that provide cap flexibility (which he won't). 

Not sure the team has the right assets otherwise (aside from prospects like DiPietro, or the young RWs in the system...)

I don't think he makes much sense for us (Ristolainen would probably make more sense, but again, he's expiring a UFA in one year...)

Reinhart's RFA status also means that he would be a target for an offer sheet. 

Even if the Sabres clear out Eichel's $10M cap hit, they're going to have to take at least some salary back.  They're still likely stuck with Okposo's $6M cap hit for another 2-years and Jeff Skinner's $9M cap hit until 2026-2027.  I would have to think that they will need to bring in some Dmen too even after re-signing both Dahlin and Jokiharju.  They're also going to need to sign at least one goalie.  My guess is they'll retain Ullmark.  If they want to do things cheap, then one of their G prospects already under contact could serve as the backup.

If Reinhart holds out until the Sabres have committed $ to other roster spots, then he might be ripe for an offer sheet.  Just for argument's sake, if he is signed between $4,363,096 - $6,544,640, then the compensation will be a 1st Rd pick and a 3rd Rd pick.  For a player of Reinhart's caliber, that might be a price a team is willing to pay without having to give up other assets.  For the record, it looks like the Canucks can't do this unless they regain a few picks.

What about Schmidt + our 1st for Reinhart.  Our first will be potentially a really good pick/prospect, but won't fit our timeline once they are likely ready and effective.  Schmidt seems replaceable with enough good lower cost options on D.  If we bring back Hamonic and Edler, plus Joulevi and Rathbone are ready for reps it's not a major loss.  We could do something like the following at 5-5:

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Lind Miller Reinhart

Pearson Horvat Podkolzin

Motte Graovac MacEwen

Hughes Hamonic

Joulevi Myers

Edler Rathbone

Gives us three deadly lines and our D opens some room for Joulevi and Rathbone to be regulars.