The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

11 hours ago, Conscience said:

Talking about giving up a 1st for this guy, to make up for Bennings failings, its depressing 

then don't do it to yourself. No point in discussing Toffoli now. 

8 hours ago, Wanless said:

With the team having a solid core I would actually be ok with this 

2021 first unprotected with conditions

2021 second 

2022 first, if 2021 first is top 3 then it becomes 2023 second 

2022 second 

Basically 2 firsts and 2 seconds or a top 3 and three seconds

They take Eriksson to make cap work

So...for a guy with a 52 point per season average who is in his last year of UFA status at seasons end you'd give up a top 10 or better pick.  An additional 1st next year.  Plus 2+ extra early picks.

Just think really hard about that.  Seriously hard about that.  That's the haul you'd give up for a person who's highest point total is 65

Ehlers

Connor

Nylander

All produce at a fairly comparable or in Connors case, better clip than Reinhardt.  Would you give up 2 firsts, 1 unprotected in the top 10 the other only unprotected if it is top 3 and 2 additional early picks ore more for any of them?

For reference, this is more than was given for Kessel barring the player added.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Wanless said:

With the team having a solid core I would actually be ok with this 

2021 first unprotected with conditions

2021 second 

2022 first, if 2021 first is top 3 then it becomes 2023 second 

2022 second 

Basically 2 firsts and 2 seconds or a top 3 and three seconds

They take Eriksson to make cap work

We get Reinhardt 

An offer sheet to get him would be in the 6.5 to 8 range and would cost a first, second and third, but we would need to unload cap and don't have a 2022 third.

This could potentially set up forward group 

Hoglander - Petersson - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Reinhardt 

Gadjovich - Miller - Podkolzin 

I know it's early to pencil Gadjovich in but having a heavy line like that would do wonders at wearing down the opposition and would be able to be sheltered with primarily neutral and ozone starts.

I know giving up the picks is a lot, that roster would be in tact for another 4 years and with the d moving forward looking like 

Hughes - free agent 

Schmidt - Myers

Rathbone - Hamonic 

Juolevi 

The team has a few years it could go without a first round pick

He's an average top 6 winger and a terrible centre. He isn't even worth a top 10 first round pick. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Top line minutes.

Top line time.

Top PK mins

Against a mediocre division at best.  Even on a bad team

He's a 52.3  point per season player....

What do I see for that?

a top 10 or better 1st, solid prospect, roster player MAKE THE TRADE

WTF people....

He's a gamer sure, but he's not worth the valuations people keep throwing out especially when his contract is up at the end of 2021

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sam-reinhart

Thank you Hippy. 

You can't have an NHL team where one centre, takes every second face-off. We are burning Bo out. I had no issue if Benning traded Gaudette for a two-way centre that was good on face-offs. Losing Beagle and Sutter, and Petey put in a gap this team couldn't fill. Reinhart is below average on face-offs. The team doesn't need wingers. We need centres who can defend and score and win face offs, and ease some of the load off of Bo.

56 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

He's an average top 6 winger and a terrible centre. He isn't even worth a top 10 first round pick. 

Finally somebody gets it. Reinhart is a top 6 55 point winger. He’s a fine player but these proposals are way too much! I was thinking Pearson, Juolevi (seems like we’ll never play him anyway) and a 2nd rounder next year.

• Upvote 1

These sorts of things are why the Pearson signing didn't make much sense.  Reinhart is better and younger... he would be more expensive, but add Virtanen and Pearson money and you have Reinhart who would be a really interesting piece on a Horvat line as he is a playmaker (which Horvat is not).. or maybe as a 3C but he probably doesn't fit the mold there and would be a better winger.

We will have to see where Buffalo wants to go.  They said they want players who want to be there (which is no one... but that is beside the point).  That means Reinhart and Ristolainen are almost certainly going to be on the move.

If we could do a trade that gets us Reinhart and Ristolainen... yikes that would be a tidy piece of work.  Throwing in Schmidt, and lottery protected 2022 1st round pick, and whatever else maybe... 

I am just trying to imagine possible lineups with some deft manouvering and willingness to give up some futures to move out a little cash.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Reinhart
Pearson-Tierney-Podkolzin
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Ristolainen
Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers
Bowie

You share that 3rd pairing LD between the two young guys to develop them and hopefully in a year they are ready to move on from Edler.

That is basically an entire roster mostly set for a couple of years until you have to replace Beagle/Hamonic as the remaining older players.

Edited by Provost

2 hours ago, Provost said:

These sorts of things are why the Pearson signing didn't make much sense.  Reinhart is better and younger... he would be more expensive, but add Virtanen and Pearson money and you have Reinhart who would be a really interesting piece on a Horvat line as he is a playmaker (which Horvat is not).. or maybe as a 3C but he probably doesn't fit the mold there and would be a better winger.

We will have to see where Buffalo wants to go.  They said they want players who want to be there (which is no one... but that is beside the point).  That means Reinhart and Ristolainen are almost certainly going to be on the move.

If we could do a trade that gets us Reinhart and Ristolainen... yikes that would be a tidy piece of work.  Throwing in Schmidt, and lottery protected 2022 1st round pick, and whatever else maybe... 

I am just trying to imagine possible lineups with some deft manouvering and willingness to give up some futures to move out a little cash.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Reinhart
Pearson-Tierney-Podkolzin
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Ristolainen
Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers
Bowie

You share that 3rd pairing LD between the two young guys to develop them and hopefully in a year they are ready to move on from Edler.

That is basically an entire roster mostly set for a couple of years until you have to replace Beagle/Hamonic as the remaining older players.

Yes it looks good but unless we manage to offload Eriksson + Roussel's $9m cap hit, there's no way that roster fits under $81.5m. And that is a lot of future picks to trade away. The 2021 lottery 1st to BUF, multiple picks to clear LE+AR, plus picks to acquire Tierney.

100% agree that the Pearson signing was too early, both from a Seattle ED perspective and now the cap situation when good targets are available.

Another factor is that Tierney and Risto only signed for one more season, so might be better to work towards this roster over next two off-seasons and get Tierney and Risto for free as 2022 UFAs.

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Until benning is gone there is, can't have him continuing to mismanaged this team into the ground

I guess its a personal choice. I'm trying to focus on whats good on the team right now, and there is a lot.

Try to see the donut, not the hole, its easier. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes it looks good but unless we manage to offload Eriksson + Roussel's $9m cap hit, there's no way that roster fits under $81.5m. And that is a lot of future picks to trade away. The 2021 lottery 1st to BUF, multiple picks to clear LE+AR, plus picks to acquire Tierney.

100% agree that the Pearson signing was too early, both from a Seattle ED perspective and now the cap situation when good targets are available.

Another factor is that Tierney and Risto only signed for one more season, so might be better to work towards this roster over next two off-seasons and get Tierney and Risto for free as 2022 UFAs.

Moving Schmidt out takes care of one of the salaries... ya we would have to move out Roussel and buy out Virtanen to get it down to about $84 million depending on what guys sign for (assuming both Edler and Hamonic are at least $2.5 million each)... and maybe even convince Seattle to take Holtby.

If Eriksson would retire after getting his bonus it would solve a lot of problems... but we can't count on it, certainly not with timing that would work for us.

8 hours ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

He's been on the worst team in the league his whole career and still puts up solid numbers 

The way I see it is a first and second for him 

The rest is to unload Eriksson which moves this team closer to contention. 

Imagine having the cap space to get potentially Larsson to play along side Hughes and make a top 6 acquisition

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So...for a guy with a 52 point per season average who is in his last year of UFA status at seasons end you'd give up a top 10 or better pick.  An additional 1st next year.  Plus 2+ extra early picks.

Just think really hard about that.  Seriously hard about that.  That's the haul you'd give up for a person who's highest point total is 65

Ehlers

Connor

Nylander

All produce at a fairly comparable or in Connors case, better clip than Reinhardt.  Would you give up 2 firsts, 1 unprotected in the top 10 the other only unprotected if it is top 3 and 2 additional early picks ore more for any of them?

For reference, this is more than was given for Kessel barring the player added.

I wouldn't do what you said.

You forgot to include them taking Eriksson

Just now, Wanless said:

He's been on the worst team in the league his whole career and still puts up solid numbers 

The way I see it is a first and second for him 

The rest is to unload Eriksson which moves this team closer to contention. 

Imagine having the cap space to get potentially Larsson to play along side Hughes and make a top 6 acquisition

I wouldn't argue against first round pick but I would argue against a top 10 pick which ours likely will be. I also don't think he would be that cheap. I see Buffalo saying the same things you are and know he is an RFA and likely want a first plus hoglander or something like that. I just think that is too rich for a team that really struggles defensively and need to land a top 4 young dman somehow. Also, I don't see anyone taking Eriksson. 

1 minute ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

I wouldn't argue against first round pick but I would argue against a top 10 pick which ours likely will be. I also don't think he would be that cheap. I see Buffalo saying the same things you are and know he is an RFA and likely want a first plus hoglander or something like that. I just think that is too rich for a team that really struggles defensively and need to land a top 4 young dman somehow. Also, I don't see anyone taking Eriksson. 

And that's why the price was so high.

Unfortunately the Canucks are going no where with the 9 million they have tied up in Lou and Eriksson

At least beagle is said to done for his career, same as Ferland so there's LTIR relief