The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Tanking is always moronic IMHO.  Winning is never a bad option.  It's in fact the only goal of any sport or game.  I'd fully support winning out the season and snuffing out the Flames.  If not, what are we here for?  Are we fans of the draft (i.e. the business side of things) or fans of hockey?

Go Canucks Go!

National Hockey League Hello GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I think this is what worries me the most this year. Various rumours about wanting to take the cheap route in coaching, buyouts, etc.  No matter how much some people want Benning, Green et al gone if they are replaced by cheap generic no-names life isn’t going to get any better here. We won’t be talking about next year or two years to compete anymore.

This

The root of all our problem is Aqua's unwillingness to spend money on the team not on the ice and his indecisiveness these days.

Really want to know if his empire did a nosedive financially over the past few years. 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

National Hockey League Hello GIF

Except there are no generational or superstar talents in this year's draft.

HOWEVER, next year there is Shane Wright, and the following year there's Connor Bedard and Matvei Michkov though. Possibly the next Crosby / Ovechkin. I'm fully on the tank wagon if were in a losing position :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That is the Canucks/JBs’ history with tanking (not drafting higher than fifth regardless of the standings) but some teams (albeit with different draft rules) like the PIts & Chicago were able to build a great foundation and win a few cup - seems to be exception cause the more recent teams like NJ (two first OA in the past four years) Buffalo & Sen are still bottom dwellers ?   

Perhaps the teams approach to try to win every game, eventhough it is obviously a losing season is the right approach long term - winning culture.  The only tweak I would like to had seen was for the team to emphasize playing & showcasing the future instead of the vets cause (with hindsight) despite playing our vets for most of the season it still turned out to be a losing season and still a lot of questions were some of the rookies will fit in next years roster.

100% agree on all fronts, especially the bolded

36 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Maybe, but the org doesn't seem too willing to spend money like that these days. 

This saves money. Team would save 1 million hard cash, and reduce salary cap next season.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they org isn't willing to spend money. They are pretty much always spending to the cap.

8 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Use your words.  Silly GIFs are as moronic as tanking.  GCG!

Not a fan of tanking either but silly gif are moronic? That’s a bridge to far for me (obviously). There are more than enough words spoken on these boards saying the same things over and over ad nauseum. Sometimes a nice simple gif says what you want it to say. Easy to check out and move on for everybody. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not a fan of tanking either but silly gif are moronic? That’s a bridge to far for me (obviously). There are more than enough words spoken on these boards saying the same things over and over ad nauseum. Sometimes a nice simple gif says what you want it to say. Easy to check out and move on for everybody. 

It depends on the context.  Sure, sometimes a GIF or a picture can add something so yes I overstated it.  But in this case it was just an obvious attempt to aggravate me (especially the second one).  Anyway, it's not such a big deal.  It's just that the tankers really annoy me because I'm an athlete myself and I would never ever take my foot off the pedal just to get a slightly better draft pick, and if any of my teammates did I'd be pretty pissed off.  It's not professional.  And even if one isn't a pro, it's still an insult to everyone involved not to try one's hardest to win all the time.  GCG!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This saves money. Team would save 1 million hard cash, and reduce salary cap next season.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they org isn't willing to spend money. They are pretty much always spending to the cap.

This feels like something we should bet on. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The Lemieux draft was FAR more obvious attempt at tanking:

Hame of Fame tank right there, probably worst NHL team ever iced.   

All joking aside, the team should ice all there young prospects that have a shot at making the team next year, rest the vets and try their best to win. Either they win or we get higher draft pick. Win Win scenario, plus we develop of young players. The old guys who had covid can probably use the time to keep recovering.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hey, if you know both what the team is going to look like next year, after the ED, free agency etc and how they'll perform, I figure you MUST know the lotto numbers too! How's Podrick acclimating to the NHL future man?

Maybe your buddy @wallstreetamigo in the scarecrow outfit, has the lotto numbers?

Wow.. 

I think you need a few hrs break from cdc. 

Beautiful weather lately. Maybe go for a walk or something. 

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

59ewsr.gif

I'm thinking it must be obvious to even him that he won't play another sift for us given how many borderline guys have passed him.  Would not be at all surprised to see him finally take the hint and retire at the end of the year.

• Thanks 1