The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

There is a difference between Tanking and Not Being Good. VAN is not losing on purpose, or would they want to. They're competitive professional athletes. 

VAN will probably win 3 or more of their remaining games, which might bump them down the drafting order, unless they win a Lottery spot. Even so, if they pick 5th or 8tth, does that make much of a difference this Draft? There's no clear Top 3, 5 or even 10. It's wide open, other than maybe Clarke and Power being at the top. Just going to try and enjoy watching Canucks hockey these last 5 games.

WIN - Yahoo! Loves me a win

LOSE - Draft, here we come!

It's all good

BUT! Next season, I hope they make changes to management and coaching. They need to build a winner with these great prospects/young players   

• Cheers 2

I get the feeling that the next 5 games with the Flames will be a series of 'hot potato' games. 

you take the puck...

I don't want it....you take it...

well I don't want it... you take it....

I don't want to score, cause we might just win...

etc...

34 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not a fan of tanking either but silly gif are moronic? That’s a bridge to far for me (obviously). There are more than enough words spoken on these boards saying the same things over and over ad nauseum. Sometimes a nice simple gif says what you want it to say. Easy to check out and move on for everybody. 

Yes GIF

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

2016 is a great argument for how tanking doesn't work. We finished 28th and then dropped 2 spots in the draft to teams that were ahead of us in the standings... 

But we were in 30th, won 3/4 Cali games and missed on Matthews, or the 3rd pick if we dropped 2.

Benning's been fumbling the ball a lot (running out of time with Toffoli and also unable to re-sign Tanev, using all of the recalls so Lock and Gadj can't play, unable to trade Eriksson or Virtanen, hasn't re-signed Green or Clark, etc.) I think he might be gone at the end of the season. 

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Is this the result of management not knowing what they’re doing? Why call up Gadjovich, while currently hot down in Utica, only to sit him until there’s a possible injury!? 
If I’m wrong here please correct me because I honestly don’t know how these call ups work. Is this new news to management?

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think many teams truly try to lose. A few have in certain draft years of course.

Having said that, to truly be a "winning culture" it has to be accompanied by improvement over time and actual winning. The Canucks actually have a losing culture. Its easy to identify by the regular annual injury/covid/travel/circumstances outside our control excuses, the kneejerk, panic signings, and the focus on filling imaginary roster holes (OEL for example) at the expense of real holes (losing a top 6 winger).

Yeah, from the outside & based on the yearly results,  I would agree the winning culture are just words to mislead the fans; good chance if the team would just be honest about a rebuild; good chance most long suffering Nucks fans would understand and still support the team for long term gain.   

Preferably, I would like to see this roster with a different coach before any trades and all the FA’s (who will be a year older) will walk for a youth movement being mentored/lead by the young (soon to be expensive) core.  Overall, I still think the team will is trending in the right direction as new players come and the old re threads are allowed to walk.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, Mikey87 said:

Is this the result of management not knowing what they’re doing? Why call up Gadjovich, while currently hot down in Utica, only to sit him until there’s a possible injury!? 
If I’m wrong here please correct me because I honestly don’t know how these call ups work. Is this new news to management?

They need to call them up early so they can quarantine for the week and be ready to go should someone get hurt. From the sound of it, they are good to go too once Utica is done on Sunday. So they will get two games up here. 

Covid is to blame in this.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning's been fumbling the ball a lot (running out of time with Toffoli and also unable to re-sign Tanev, using all of the recalls so Lock and Gadj can't play, unable to trade Eriksson or Virtanen, hasn't re-signed Green or Clark, etc.) I think he might be gone at the end of the season. 

Ran out goalies one year.