The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They have 4 regular recalls after the TDL and he was 1 of the 4 with Juolevi, Rathbone and Graovac.

CapFriendly keeps track of player transactions - they used a regular recall on him on 26 April but sent him back to the taxi squad on 11 May rather than keep him up.  https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/players/kole-lind

K I admit then that I had no idea what they are doing starting May 11. Only knew his last call up was on emergency basis. 

At least Flames are in the same boat.  With Marky, Tanev, Leivo, new coach, they still will not make the playoffs, and they didn't last year.  Can argue nux are in a better situation. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

They had the cap space to keep him up.  Surprised that they prefer to play Michaelis over Lind but they likely think they saw enough of him.  If there’s an emergency recall it probably won’t be Lind otherwise they would have just kept him up.  

Maybe because of the salary difference - over 10x less on the taxi squad but it’s pro-rated and there’s only about a week left.  

I guess they must have bigger plans for Michaelis? seems to me like you'd want to play Lind instead salary or not. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess they must have bigger plans for Michaelis? seems to me like you'd want to play Lind instead salary or not. 

The plan for Micaelis should be to be the 2nd line center for the Abbotsford Pick-A-Parts or whatever they will be called.  

He gets into the right spots and is sound defensively BUT he doesn't have the size or the speed or the compete level to win any battles at the NHL level.  I hope that he's willing to play center for our AHL team though as we're not that deep at that position.  

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Maybe trying to get Michaelis eligible for expansion requirement purposes? 

Ohhhh maybe, haven't thought about that part actually. 

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

K I admit then that I had no idea what they are doing starting May 11. Only knew his last call up was on emergency basis. 

It had to be because they send him back down although it was a regular recall and they could have kept him up.  

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Have a hard time seeing bigger plans for Michaelis.  Lind is waiver eligible next season so really surprised that he’s not in the lineup.  Might be about his readiness.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

At least Flames are in the same boat.  With Marky, Tanev, Leivo, new coach, they still will not make the playoffs, and they didn't last year.  Can argue nux are in a better situation. 

They are not in the same boat. 

So much worse. 

They signed our aging vets who are key players in their lineup. 

Their young guys are mediocre. 

Our young core are the key players on our team and we are waiting for aging vet contract to expire  in 1-2 seasons

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Maybe trying to get Michaelis eligible for expansion requirement purposes? 

They have Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen that qualify and they only need 2 to meet the requirement.  

Michaelis is also exempt from expansion.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They have Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen that qualify and they only need 2 to meet the requirement.  

Michaelis is also exempt from expansion.  

Did not know he was exempt.

I was more thinking of having him be able to satisfy requirement so we can use him as a trade chip for a team that need someone who meets requirement or give us flexibility with trades. 

But not the case then if he is exempt. 

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

32 year old Michael Backlund is signed for 3 more years beyond this one for 5.35 mil/year 

32 year old Milan Lucic has two more years at 5.25 mil/year 

Sean Monahan has two more years at 6.4 mil/year and is playing like a 3-4 mil/year player.  That could go south pretty fast. 

Rasmus Andersson has 5 more years at 4.5 mil/year.  

Marky has 5 more years at 6 mil/year.  

Their team is slightly better then us but we're much younger and don't have as many cap issues.  Besides Loui, Roussel and Beagle (who mind you contribute less as a whole then the guys I listed), we don't have any dead weight that will be on the books past next year.  

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yet you throw out "homer, blind, idiot" so it seems to balance it all out.  

I wonder how many who cry over Tkachuk also were screaming over missing Vilardi/Glass the next year and just let that one fade out?  "The correct pick".

And let's wait until OJ has the 345 NHL games under his belt and compare then, shall we?  OJ's got 21.  When MT was 21 games in he had....10 points.  Knee surgery also was part of OJ's recent past so let him have time to develop?

OJ is a D man so I wouldn't expect a ppg from him as the focus like you would with Tkachuk.   

Hoglander has more goals than Tkachuk this year.  I'd rather have a player with his disposition.

The Tkachuk love fest is a little over rated.   His hissy fits and dirty play are enough for me to say "no thanks".

We need to see OJ play, Green needs to give him a chance he certainly deserves it. When he has played this year I thought he played well and deserved to continue then Green takes him out for a extended period of time. I don't get it?

• Thanks 1