The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

36 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Our farm system has been top 10 and even top 5 for the last three years now.  If you're not seeing the talent, it's because they've already ascended to the NHL (the whole goal of having prospects) .  

JB needs to stay for one more draft. I don't care what happens after.  Bring in Dean Lombardi if he even wants to work anymore.  

If I was a top level GM/hockey executive, I wouldn't want anything to do with Vancouver.  I'd rather get the same position in a market where you don't have crazy fans taking pictures of you while you're grocery shopping. 

sure our system have been top 5 or 10 or whatever u want to rank them, but how much of that is because of Pettersson Hughes and Boeser? out side of those top end talents in recent years there's only 1 notable player and that was hoglander and madden whom we got rid of for a rental even though we are "rebuilding" Gaudette is not good enough for this team Juolevi at this point i'm not even sure if he counts as a prospect and even if so he's well outside of top 100 for a 5th overall. Outside of the 1st rounders i'm failing to see any impact prospect that can make a difference that you can't just pluck off of waiver or free agency that's just my opinion. JB sure have picked decent for his drafts but at the same time he is terrible at giving up on the players he drafted for rentals and plugs.

28 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

At least Flames are in the same boat.  With Marky, Tanev, Leivo, new coach, they still will not make the playoffs, and they didn't last year.  Can argue nux are in a better situation. 

Albeit a very short stint, a lot of our core players stepped up in the playoffs last season whereas Flames core players don’t appear to be playoff performers.

The Canucks need a much better supporting cast.

The Flames need to question their core.

I’ll take the Canucks every day of the week.

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

32 year old Michael Backlund is signed for 3 more years beyond this one for 5.35 mil/year 

32 year old Milan Lucic has two more years at 5.25 mil/year 

Sean Monahan has two more years at 6.4 mil/year and is playing like a 3-4 mil/year player.  That could go south pretty fast. 

Rasmus Andersson has 5 more years at 4.5 mil/year.  

Marky has 5 more years at 6 mil/year.  

Their team is slightly better then us but we're much younger and don't have as many cap issues.  Besides Loui, Roussel and Beagle (who mind you contribute less as a whole then the guys I listed), we don't have any dead weight that will be on the books past next year.  

At least Lucic can play.

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

sure our system have been top 5 or 10 or whatever u want to rank them, but how much of that is because of Pettersson Hughes and Boeser? out side of those top end talents in recent years there's only 1 notable player and that was hoglander and madden whom we got rid of for a rental even though we are "rebuilding" Gaudette is not good enough for this team Juolevi at this point i'm not even sure if he counts as a prospect and even if so he's well outside of top 100 for a 5th overall. Outside of the 1st rounders i'm failing to see any impact prospect that can make a difference that you can't just pluck off of waiver or free agency that's just my opinion. JB sure have picked decent for his drafts but at the same time he is terrible at giving up on the players he drafted for rentals and plugs.

Well you're watching two guys this year, Hoglander (2nd round pick) and Rathbone (4th round pick). 

If you look at the statistics, it's very very unlikely that a 2nd round pick ever makes the NHL and plays any significant role.  It just don't happen often.  

https://guelphstorm.com/odds-not-great-for-nhl-draft-picks#:~:text=Of the 2%2C600 hundred players,12% of third rounder selections. 

"In order to get an accurate read of how many drafted players played at least 200 games in the NHL, a study by proicehockey.about.com looked at the drafts between 1990 and 1999. Of the 2,600 hundred players drafted just 494 or 19% played in at least 200 contests. 63% of first round picks played but less than 25% of second round picks survived and only 12% of third rounder selections. Former NHL general manager Doug MacLean said his math over the last decade showed that only 15% of second round picks ever become impact players."

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

At least Lucic can play.

That's true, I really wish that we would've been able to flip Loui for Lucic two seasons ago but Loui didn't want to waive his no-trade to go to Edmonton.  Apparently that was the only hang up. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's true, I really wish that we would've been able to flip Loui for Lucic two seasons ago but Loui didn't want to waive his no-trade to go to Edmonton.  Apparently that was the only hang up. 

Like people need more reasons not to like Loui. 

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We need to see OJ play, Green needs to give him a chance he certainly deserves it. When he has played this year I thought he played well and deserved to continue then Green takes him out for a extended period of time. I don't get it?

we're not really entitled to "get it" all the time. we're not privy to locker room dynamics, practice habits and conversations between coach and player. we don't need to be, either. what we do know is that travis green is one of the 31 best hockey coaches on planet earth and he didn't get there by making ill-informed, arbitrary decisions.

fans seem to struggle with humility.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We sucked before COVID, but on the plus side it gave us an extra excuse to add to the repertoire, up there with the league hates us, the refs are bribed and our schedule sucks.

We did really well in the bubble last year. We haven't had our best scorer for most of this season, we have had a hard schedule which only got even crappier after we were hit by the worst outbreak of covid in sports. 

I hear what you are saying. However, I would like to judge the team on a season that wasn't such a clusterpuck  though( thx deb for that term).

I think we are set to make real waves in the next few seasons.

Would welcome a shake up in coaching but again, happy with JB for the most part. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

we're not really entitled to "get it" all the time. we're not privy to locker room dynamics, practice habits and conversations between coach and player. we don't need to be, either. what we do know is that travis green is one of the 31 best hockey coaches on planet earth and he didn't get there by making ill-informed, arbitrary decisions.

fans seem to struggle with humility.