The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

While true, I still think the Kraken would be making a big mistake in trying to manufacture a geographical rivalry with Vancouver. Personally, the prospect of regular season games between the 2 franchises doesn't move me at all. Certainly not to the point of developing a genuine dislike for them. There's no history there. Especially playoff history. There's nothing there at all. It's barely different from when Vancouver was awarded the Grizzlies. As a Sonic fan, that didn't mean anything at all to me. I genuinely fail to see Canuck fans in Vancouver getting wound-up because there's now a team in Seattle. You can't have a "rivalry" between 2 teams with no prior history between them. I think there's a lot of "hockey fans" down here who have yet to grasp that. 

No you can’t manufacture a rivalry just on geography but there will be the beginnings of a natural rivalry based on the expansion draft rules. Since we haven’t won a cup in our 50 year history we are quite jealous of the generosity that the NHL showed Vegas and their resulting success. If Seattle has similar success it will become a hard pill to swallow for Canuck fans. The real rivalry will only come over time as the teams meet.

17 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

You know, I was actually all set to abandon the Canucks - they've been the "home team" down here, obviously - even though I've been a fan since the mid-'90's. All the Seattle NHL group had to do to ensure my addition to the fanbase was NOT name the franchise Kraken. Really, that's all they had to do. In hindsight, I'm glad they did. I'm really not the type of sports fan who jumps from team to team. Liked the same MLB squad since 1981, and have repp'd  the Seahawks since 1982-83. Hell, I still rep the Sonics. Other than when they go against the Canucks, I'm sure I'll be generally apathetic towards the Kraken. 

i have a question for you, and please don't take this seriously.

seattle's best coffee, is medium. thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I can handle that. Canucks Rivalries haven’t been then same in awhile. 

already stirring the pot, i dig it im pumped theres a team not far from van, just hoping we can have a regular season where we can travel over the boarder and face all 32.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, TNucks1 said:

already stirring the pot, i dig it im pumped theres a team not far from van, just hoping we can have a regular season where we can travel over the boarder and face all 32.

That’s all I want.. just a proper season. For everyone’s sake. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, TNucks1 said:

You need two good teams to have a rivalry, if the Kraken start off better they may look south for that, if they suck you’ll just have 2 pathetic teams embarrassing each other. Beating up a girl doesn’t get you cool points.

20 minutes ago, xereau said:

I like this summary better.

giphy.gif

thats green post conference. "I thought we played a good First" "the game was a lot closer than the score shows" "with some puck luck we we could have buried a couple more"

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

You need two good teams to have a rivalry, if the Kraken start off better they may look south for that, if they suck you’ll just have 2 pathetic teams embarrassing each other. Beating up a girl doesn’t get you cool points.

They will be as good, or better than the Knights due to cap sheds due to covid.

14 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

While true, I still think the Kraken would be making a big mistake in trying to manufacture a geographical rivalry with Vancouver. Personally, the prospect of regular season games between the 2 franchises doesn't move me at all. Certainly not to the point of developing a genuine dislike for them. There's no history there. Especially playoff history. There's nothing there at all. It's barely different from when Vancouver was awarded the Grizzlies. As a Sonic fan, that didn't mean anything at all to me. I genuinely fail to see Canuck fans in Vancouver getting wound-up because there's now a team in Seattle. You can't have a "rivalry" between 2 teams with no prior history between them. I think there's a lot of "hockey fans" down here who have yet to grasp that. 

Either way for me, Seattle is gonna be the 'home' team due to proximity (Boise). 

I'm planning for Seattle to be the hot girl I cheat with my Canucks fandom. Way easier to get to Seattle with a 45min flight than do the whole layover to Van. 

Can't wait to grab some tickets against the Canucks there next season. 

• Cheers 3

lots of dead cap coming off this year and next year

pods joining hogs getting better, Rathbone, Hughes, BB, Petey all a year better

Ferland and beagle likely not playing next year = 6.8 mill off the cap,

Sutter contract done = another 4.375,

elder 6 million off,

baertschi off = 2.3 off the cap

Chatfield = 0.7 off

Pearson = 0.5 paycut

Virtanen... will he play again ??? = 2.5

spooner = 1mill off 

Jayce = 0.8 off

rumour of Erickson buy out saves 1-2 mill

= 25-26 mill off cap in 2021

demko = +4

edler = 2

sutter = 2

Petey = +5

Hughes = +5

=16

leaves a balance of roughly 10 million, can add a C and D easily ....wennberg ? 4.75? and Savard 5.00?

in 2022

Holtby = 4.3 off

Luongo recapture = 3 off

ericksson = all off = 4-5 mill off?

19-20 million there, say we sign elder and Sutter 1 year 2 mill each, that's 15-16 million there, not to mention we will lose some cap in expansion draft, Pearson gets slight pay cut, Virtanen may be off the cap, thats another 2 mill, Demko, Petey, Hughes will be roughly 13 mill increase on cap so we will be fine, 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

This season of playing the same few teams over and over has reinforced my dislike for the way the NHL has tried to manufacture rivalries with their previous realignment. I much preferred the old system where you had a home and away game with every team. You had a decent chance to see all the stars of the league and real rivalries were created organically. 

Yes I know with the number of teams and games this is more difficult.

34 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

You know, I was actually all set to abandon the Canucks - they've been the "home team" down here, obviously - even though I've been a fan since the mid-'90's. All the Seattle NHL group had to do to ensure my addition to the fanbase was NOT name the franchise Kraken. Really, that's all they had to do. In hindsight, I'm glad they did. I'm really not the type of sports fan who jumps from team to team. Liked the same MLB squad since 1981, and have repp'd  the Seahawks since 1982-83. Hell, I still rep the Sonics. Other than when they go against the Canucks, I'm sure I'll be generally apathetic towards the Kraken. 

What's wrong with the name Kraken?

Speaking of Sonics, I wish they bring basketball back to Seattle. Could go watch an NBA game from time to time (once the COVID's gone).

18 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i have a question for you, and please don't take this seriously.

seattle's best coffee, is medium. thoughts?

Other than a sip of an iced coffee in the mid-'90's - which, I immediately spit out - I've never had a cup of coffee in 51 years. Ever. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

What's wrong with the name Kraken?

Speaking of Sonics, I wish they bring basketball back to Seattle. Could go watch an NBA game from time to time (once the COVID's gone).

Surprised they didn’t name them the Seattle CHOP/CHAZ/Antifa

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This season of playing the same few teams over and over has reinforced my dislike for the way the NHL has tried to manufacture rivalries with their previous realignment. I much preferred the old system where you had a home and away game with every team. You had a decent chance to see all the stars of the league and real rivalries were created organically. 

Yes I know with the number of teams and games this is more difficult.

No, it's not "more difficult". It's still possible for the league to go back to the same scheduling the NBA uses in a full 82-game season. Meaning: each team visits every team in the opposing conference once during the regular season. That still leaves plenty of games against Conference and Division opponents, and, every rink in the league gets to host the individual stars from the other Conference that the league loves to promote nowadays.