The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

if you are talking about Calgary and Vancouver I don't think winning the next 3 games against each other is going to suddenly change the team to a winning culture 

Yeah, thinking of our series with the Calgary Canucks - mainly, commenting about the idea that tanking builds a losing culture.

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather not sign Edler and sutter and just bring young players in like rathbone, Joulevi, woo, sautner...or sign someone other than Edler and sutter. They both slow and lack offense and both will be worse yet you keep signing them until they are in a wheel chair. Please lets just get younger. Sens got rid of their geriatrics and look how they started playing and winning. What is the point of signing Edler and Sutter???

Yeah; but they check the all important nostalgic & great intangibles boxes regardless, of there on ice effectiveness.  Good chance, they get sign with term & cost and the youths will continue to marinate in the press box..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I have no issue with the players wanting to win. All you have to do is look at Bo and Demko to see that losing is eating them up.

What I do want to see is Green dress as many kids & new guys as possible and to play more of an “experimental” style. I think Calgary looks like they are taking the same approach. If we win, fine, if we lose fine also. I can’t root for losses but it won’t bother me in the least if they do. In the end the lottery is a crapshoot anyway.

Actually I don’t think it matters what we want as the team looks totally spent and demoralized so I think they’ll win one more (Edm) and maybe one of the Calgary games.

Edler should get 40 minutes per game and all PP time.

#Edler100

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

These next 3 games vs the Flames mean absolutely nothing to either teams future.

Well, besides draft positioning. In that sense it does.

I get it; my main point is it will come down to which team will want to end the season in a winning note (moral victory = winning culture).

12 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather not sign Edler and sutter and just bring young players in like rathbone, Joulevi, woo, sautner...or sign someone other than Edler and sutter. They both slow and lack offense and both will be worse yet you keep signing them until they are in a wheel chair. Please lets just get younger. Sens got rid of their geriatrics and look how they started playing and winning. What is the point of signing Edler and Sutter???

Edler I entirely agree with.  He's not bringing much and just holding up a spot for our development.  

Sutter I can't agree with because I feel like he's a very useful player and a center at that.  My favourite part about Sutter is the fact that we can throw a rookie on his wing and he will be a defensive and confidence safeguard for the rookie. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I have no issue with the players wanting to win. All you have to do is look at Bo and Demko to see that losing is eating them up.

What I do want to see is Green dress as many kids & new guys as possible and to play more of an “experimental” style. I think Calgary looks like they are taking the same approach. If we win, fine, if we lose fine also. I can’t root for losses but it won’t bother me in the least if they do. In the end the lottery is a crapshoot anyway.

Actually I don’t think it matters what we want as the team looks totally spent and demoralized so I think they’ll win one more (Edm) and maybe one of the Calgary games.

Good points and I get it !   Would had really been nice if we saw more of the future this year with the added bonus of evaluating & preparing these players for next years roster spot(s).

As a fan, I also could not root for losses but from the start it seemed obvious the team was already behind the eight ball; and with hindsight, it would had been prudent (long term) if they (management & staff) would had recognized & accepted the season to showcase & play the future alot more.  At the very least, some rookies were still able to force themselves in and we got to see some of the future.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Edler I entirely agree with.  He's not bringing much and just holding up a spot for our development.  

Sutter I can't agree with because I feel like he's a very useful player and a center at that.  My favourite part about Sutter is the fact that we can throw a rookie on his wing and he will be a defensive and confidence safeguard for the rookie. 

I’ll be very curious to see Edler’s demeanour in the last home game. I don’t know why but I just feel like he might be considering retiring so I’ll be watching for any extra stick wave to the “crowd” or emotion in his face. Does anyone know what night the last home game is?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’ll be very curious to see Edler’s demeanour in the last home game. I don’t know why but I just feel like he might be considering retiring so I’ll be watching for any extra stick wave to the “crowd” or emotion in his face. Does anyone know what night the last home game is?

Tuesday, May 18th 

Start time: 1PM PST! 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, xereau said:

On a positive note, I finished finished (last edit sesh) on my 1st ever novel today.

Feels weird, but good. I am going to shop it (again) to publishers, before I self publish. Not holding my breath.

402k words, 1194 pages size 12 times new roman double spaced.. heh. And it's only one of 3 which are in the works.

2nd is a little larger at like 1204 pages. 3rd is a tiny bit smaller at like 1090 pages.

It's a sci-fi adventure series, based 700 years from today, after a celestial cataclysm. A family of junk collectors (Scrappers) are part of a very controlled society (think Handmaiden's Tale x 1984), and they find a secret which those in control believed to be buried forever. They set off across North America which is mired in the depths of an ice age, and they spark revolutions across the land as they try to find a veritable treasure island of sorts.

test1.thumb.png.d40fda3355a8e017e9468757b21e98d8.png

Revolutions isn't written, but I have like 40 pages of notes on it. Generations and Origins are like 98% done (need 2 edit sessions probably each).

If there's anything good which has come from covid and being tucked away like a hermit, it's that I've learned to write.

Congrats on your novel. Good luck getting it published. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Those were the days when Quinn was told to call Gretzky in the middle of the night asking him to sign the contract.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-vancouver-canucks-new-york-rangers-toronto-maple-leafs-pat-quinn/

Several years before that the Canucks and Kings were the last two teams in on the Gretzky trade from the Oilers.

The Oilers wanted $25 million, Kirk McLean, Greg Adams, and three first rounders. Quinn and Burkie decided it was too expensive and that Gretzky was getting a bit too old to justify the price. Instead they went out and got Igor Larioniv, Vlad Krutov and then Pavel Bure.

Two out of three ain’t bad.

I’m not mad. :)

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, thinking of our series with the Calgary Canucks - mainly, commenting about the idea that tanking builds a losing culture.

yeah but i don't see how can winning 3 meaningless games is going to change the mentality of the players especially when you consider the other 53 games. If anything the best the fanbases can hope for is some sort of refresh (not reset) next season. 

8 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

lots of dead cap coming off this year and next year

pods joining hogs getting better, Rathbone, Hughes, BB, Petey all a year better

Ferland and beagle likely not playing next year = 6.8 mill off the cap,

Sutter contract done = another 4.375,

elder 6 million off,

baertschi off = 2.3 off the cap

Chatfield = 0.7 off

Pearson = 0.5 paycut

Virtanen... will he play again ??? = 2.5

spooner = 1mill off 

Jayce = 0.8 off

rumour of Erickson buy out saves 1-2 mill

= 25-26 mill off cap in 2021

demko = +4

edler = 2

sutter = 2

Petey = +5

Hughes = +5

=16

leaves a balance of roughly 10 million, can add a C and D easily ....wennberg ? 4.75? and Savard 5.00?

in 2022

Holtby = 4.3 off

Luongo recapture = 3 off

ericksson = all off = 4-5 mill off?

19-20 million there, say we sign elder and Sutter 1 year 2 mill each, that's 15-16 million there, not to mention we will lose some cap in expansion draft, Pearson gets slight pay cut, Virtanen may be off the cap, thats another 2 mill, Demko, Petey, Hughes will be roughly 13 mill increase on cap so we will be fine, 

I keep reading post that saying the bad contracts dead cap are coming off in x number of years.

The problem is the  guy who signed everyone of those dead cap bad contracts Is still here.jeebus  He tried to sign OEL last summer .

he’s a proven loser,the minute we have cap he’ll  try to sign or will sign a new handful of bad contracts.

the team has been capped out since he got here so people honestly believe he won’t sign his favourite type of way over paid third fourth  line well past their prime ufas to horrendous contracts the second he has money. 
jim is the root of the problem bad contracts dead cap it won’t change until he’s gone.

9 hours ago, xereau said:

On a positive note, I finished finished (last edit sesh) on my 1st ever novel today.

Feels weird, but good. I am going to shop it (again) to publishers, before I self publish. Not holding my breath.

402k words, 1194 pages size 12 times new roman double spaced.. heh. And it's only one of 3 which are in the works.

2nd is a little larger at like 1204 pages. 3rd is a tiny bit smaller at like 1090 pages.

It's a sci-fi adventure series, based 700 years from today, after a celestial cataclysm. A family of junk collectors (Scrappers) are part of a very controlled society (think Handmaiden's Tale x 1984), and they find a secret which those in control believed to be buried forever. They set off across North America which is mired in the depths of an ice age, and they spark revolutions across the land as they try to find a veritable treasure island of sorts.

test1.thumb.png.d40fda3355a8e017e9468757b21e98d8.png

Revolutions isn't written, but I have like 40 pages of notes on it. Generations and Origins are like 98% done (need 2 edit sessions probably each).

If there's anything good which has come from covid and being tucked away like a hermit, it's that I've learned to write.

That is awesome, congratulation.

Hopefully it will work out for you.

I am a big fan of this sort of books and would love to read yours.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Just hope our boys don’t get destroyed by the Kracken in our first pre-season game this fall like the Knights did 4 years ago. That was as embarrassing as it gets. 

It would suck to lose to the fracken kracken. But at least I get to call them the fracken kracken! :P

• Haha 1