The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Exactly.  Take Hoglander for example.  Standard ELC has a $212,500 bonus for 20 goals. This 56 game season sees it prorated to 56/82 × 20 goals (=14) paying 56/82 ×  $212,500 (= $145,122), and not escrowed.   A huge incentive for Hoagie to pot 2 in these last 5 games. (And prolly Green wasn't up to speed on that when he sat Nils for the 2 minutes of empty net)

If a coach or GM/owner ever think that way they should reconsider what they are doing with their lives. Maybe start another career as a salesmen. 

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I find it funny how any slight criticism of any player labels you not a ‘real fan’ from the real fans lol. 

OJ is a Canuck so I’m obviously pulling for him, but anyone who still claims 5 years later that that was the correct pick is either blind, a homer, or an idiot. 

Matthew Tkachuck is nearly a point per game agitating player. Imagine him on Horvats wing. Ahh what’s if’s. O well, go OJ. 

I'm happy not having to hate a player on my own team. 10 years of kesler was plenty of that for me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I find it funny how any slight criticism of any player labels you not a ‘real fan’ from the real fans lol. 

OJ is a Canuck so I’m obviously pulling for him, but anyone who still claims 5 years later that that was the correct pick is either blind, a homer, or an idiot. 

Matthew Tkachuck is nearly a point per game agitating player. Imagine him on Horvats wing. Ahh what’s if’s. O well, go OJ. 

Matt Tkatchuk can’t skate.  As the game speeds up, which it’s clearly doing, he often gets caught on the wrong side of the puck.  He’s looking more and more like a very overpaid player.  It’s fun hating the Flames.  Embrace the hate. :frantic:

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

Exactly.  Take Hoglander for example.  Standard ELC has a $212,500 bonus for 20 goals. This 56 game season sees it prorated to 56/82 × 20 goals (=14) paying 56/82 ×  $212,500 (= $145,122), and not escrowed.   A huge incentive for Hoagie to pot 2 in these last 5 games. (And prolly Green wasn't up to speed on that when he sat Nils for the 2 minutes of empty net)

Just don't.....

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Matt Tkatchuk can’t skate.  As the game speeds up, which it’s clearly doing, he often gets caught on the wrong side of the puck.  He’s looking more and more like a very overpaid player.  It’s fun hating the Flames.  Embrace the hate. :frantic:

he's also a dick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hey Kesler was a jerk. But he was OUR jerk. :lol:

the icing on the cake was raffi torres. I spent that entire season with the taste of bile in my mouth when I should have been enjoying the best team the canucks had ever had. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, tas said:

the icing on the cake was raffi torres. I spent that entire season with the taste of bile in my mouth when I should have been enjoying the best team the canucks had ever had. 

Thank you Tas. I thought I was the only one that was not happy with Torres. If he kept himself under control I would have been ok with him as a depth player. But the guy had a few screws loose. And being a human bowling ball doesn't make up for keep getting suspended. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As much as many fans on here take pleasure in criticizing the GM and coach perhaps putting the Canuck situation in context with the whole NHL is worth considering. Consider the Cal teams, the tire fire in Buffalo and even our neighbours the Flamers. Calgary is about to blow up their team as their season isn't much better than last year even after signing Marky and Tanev. I suspect Johnny Hockey and Monahan will be gone. Wouldn't be surprised if the GM is as well along with some scouts. IMHO I consider the Canuck glass 3/4 full. A couple of solid adds and this roster can be a contender. 

Come on Jimmy trim those who won't be part of the 2022-23 team and play the prospects to finish the season. Develop and evaluate! I don't care if the team wins another game. Fine if they do but it is not the priority. 

We are in serious danger of becoming the next Calgary. They've had some good players that for whatever reason never really came together and instead underachieved until it was time to rebuild again. The Flames have only needed "a couple of solid adds to make their roster a contender" for years now.

This is a hard league and there's only a select few on top. Even fewer can be a perennial contenders like the Penguins, Blackhawks and Lightning. They become perennial contenders by making the right decisions early in their young stars career. Meanwhile, the Canucks are in the bottom 10% of the league after a 6 year rebuild, yet somehow you're suggesting the glass is 3/4 full?

We don't just need a couple solid adds, we need a few home runs before we're even in the conversation. So far Jim Benning's record has produced one disastrous move for every "hockey trade" he manages to pull off. Some may say this is league average, but many of us Canucks fans are tired of being average. Fire Benning! We want a the Cup!

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

2016 is a great argument for how tanking doesn't work. We finished 28th and then dropped 2 spots in the draft to teams that were ahead of us in the standings... 

That is the Canucks/JBs’ history with tanking (not drafting higher than fifth regardless of the standings) but some teams (albeit with different draft rules) like the PIts & Chicago were able to build a great foundation and win a few cup - they seem to be exception rather than rule cause more recent example of teams that had ranked, like NJ (two first OA in the past four years) Buffalo & Sen are all still bottom dwellers ?   

Perhaps the teams approach to try to win every game, eventhough it is obviously a losing season is the right approach long term - winning culture but some improvements had to be achieved on yearly basis.  The only tweak I would like to had seen,  was for the team to emphasize playing & showcasing the future instead of the vets in a losing season cause (with hindsight) despite playing the vets for most of the season, it still turned out to be a losing season and still the of questions of were some of the rookies will fit in next years roster are still unanswered.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yet you throw out "homer, blind, idiot" so it seems to balance it all out.  

I wonder how many who cry over Tkachuk also were screaming over missing Vilardi/Glass the next year and just let that one fade out?  "The correct pick".

And let's wait until OJ has the 345 NHL games under his belt and compare then, shall we?  OJ's got 21.  When MT was 21 games in he had....10 points.  Knee surgery also was part of OJ's recent past so let him have time to develop?

OJ is a D man so I wouldn't expect a ppg from him as the focus like you would with Tkachuk.   

Hoglander has more goals than Tkachuk this year.  I'd rather have a player with his disposition.

The Tkachuk love fest is a little over rated.   His hissy fits and dirty play are enough for me to say "no thanks".

Tkachuk is one giant a**hole and his act is growing old quickly.

59brmk.gif

Edited by 4petesake
Sp
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yet you throw out "homer, blind, idiot" so it seems to balance it all out.  

I wonder how many who cry over Tkachuk also were screaming over missing Vilardi/Glass the next year and just let that one fade out?  "The correct pick".

And let's wait until OJ has the 345 NHL games under his belt and compare then, shall we?  OJ's got 21.  When MT was 21 games in he had....10 points.  Knee surgery also was part of OJ's recent past so let him have time to develop?

OJ is a D man so I wouldn't expect a ppg from him as the focus like you would with Tkachuk.   

Hoglander has more goals than Tkachuk this year.  I'd rather have a player with his disposition.

The Tkachuk love fest is a little over rated.   His hissy fits and dirty play are enough for me to say "no thanks".

he's good at agitating, no doubt. He's a decent scoring top 6.

But so far he's been a playoff disappointment (just 5 points in 15 games) and hasn't been able to be "the guy" to carry his team to any kind of success. He also seems to be very selfish and his team doesn't rally around him. Thats all things that have happened, no speculation needed.

I'd rather have a top 4 puck moving d. 

• Cheers 1

Glad to see this forum is full of its usual positivity and good will - it's all good guys and gals - there is always another season. Enjoy watching the kids.

I'll leave now - enjoy tonights game

GCG

• Cheers 2