The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames l May 13, 6 p.m. l SNP | WHY ARE WE HERE EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Thank you Tas. I thought I was the only one that was not happy with Torres. If he kept himself under control I would have been ok with him as a depth player. But the guy had a few screws loose. And being a human bowling ball doesn't make up for keep getting suspended. 

I just hated the predatory hits. puck would be along the wall in the canucks zone, opposing forward battling for the puck with a canucks defender, and as soon as that forward puts his head down, torres comes charging down the wall from the blue line and levels the guy when he's not looking. 

no class. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That is the Canucks/JBs’ history with tanking (not drafting higher than fifth regardless of the standings) but some teams (albeit with different draft rules) like the PIts & Chicago were able to build a great foundation and win a few cup - seems to be exception cause the more recent teams like NJ (two first OA in the past four years) Buffalo & Sen are still bottom dwellers ?   

Perhaps the teams approach to try to win every game, eventhough it is obviously a losing season is the right approach long term - winning culture.  The only tweak I would like to had seen was for the team to emphasize playing & showcasing the future instead of the vets cause (with hindsight) despite playing our vets for most of the season it still turned out to be a losing season and still a lot of questions were some of the rookies will fit in next years roster.

I dont think many teams truly try to lose. A few have in certain draft years of course.

Having said that, to truly be a "winning culture" it has to be accompanied by improvement over time and actual winning. The Canucks actually have a losing culture. Its easy to identify by the regular annual injury/covid/travel/circumstances outside our control excuses, the kneejerk, panic signings, and the focus on filling imaginary roster holes (OEL for example) at the expense of real holes (losing a top 6 winger).

• Sad 1

So is Green playing Eriksson on Bo's line these last five games, to showcase what he can do for Seattle?  (Is actually a valid option for them - high cap hit, getting them quickly to their floor, but actual low salary). If his hands of stone could get some Bo-tox injected, great, otherwise, roll tank, roll

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Googlie said:

So is Green playing Eriksson on Bo's line these last five games, to showcase what he can do for Seattle?  (Is actually a valid option for them - high cap hit, getting them quickly to their floor, but actual low salary). If his hands of stone could get some Bo-tox injected, great, otherwise, roll tank, roll

They can’t recall him unless there are further injuries, but Lind was a scratch last game and would draw in before they can use emergency recall.  He’s on the taxi squad and they’ve used up their 4 regular recalls. 

Seattle won’t need Eriksson to reach the floor.  Per LeBrun costs to move cap to Seattle is high.

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:

9. Under expansion rules, Seattle must select at least $48.9 million under the salary cap. Other teams are thinking they will target the minimum — unless incentivized to do otherwise. That would allow for maximum weaponization of their space.

Edited by mll

19 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Seattle Owner(s) David Bonderman, Jerry Bruckheimer, and Tod Leiweke 

And his salary is hardly low for a 4th line winger.  $3 million cash next season.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

59ewsr.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yet you throw out "homer, blind, idiot" so it seems to balance it all out.  

I wonder how many who cry over Tkachuk also were screaming over missing Vilardi/Glass the next year and just let that one fade out?  "The correct pick".

And let's wait until OJ has the 345 NHL games under his belt and compare then, shall we?  OJ's got 21.  When MT was 21 games in he had....10 points.  Knee surgery also was part of OJ's recent past so let him have time to develop?

OJ is a D man so I wouldn't expect a ppg from him as the focus like you would with Tkachuk.   

Hoglander has more goals than Tkachuk this year.  I'd rather have a player with his disposition.

The Tkachuk love fest is a little over rated.   His hissy fits and dirty play are enough for me to say "no thanks".

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yet you throw out "homer, blind, idiot" so it seems to balance it all out.  

I wonder how many who cry over Tkachuk also were screaming over missing Vilardi/Glass the next year and just let that one fade out?  "The correct pick".

And let's wait until OJ has the 345 NHL games under his belt and compare then, shall we?  OJ's got 21.  When MT was 21 games in he had....10 points.  Knee surgery also was part of OJ's recent past so let him have time to develop?

OJ is a D man so I wouldn't expect a ppg from him as the focus like you would with Tkachuk.   

Hoglander has more goals than Tkachuk this year.  I'd rather have a player with his disposition.

The Tkachuk love fest is a little over rated.   His hissy fits and dirty play are enough for me to say "no thanks".

Fair points. I’d still take MT over OJ 10/10 times. Then and now. However as I said in my original post I’m rooting for OJ to flourish here 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, tas said:

if he comes back (whether to the canucks or in general), it'll be completely independent of his career goal totals. eddie, and swedes in general, aren't like that. very selfless people. 

Too bad LE is the exception to this rule. One bad apple.......

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Seattle will have pleanty of actually useful high-salary players to chose from. They'll have no trouble reaching the cap floor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's good at agitating, no doubt. He's a decent scoring top 6.

But so far he's been a playoff disappointment (just 5 points in 15 games) and hasn't been able to be "the guy" to carry his team to any kind of success. He also seems to be very selfish and his team doesn't rally around him. Thats all things that have happened, no speculation needed.

I'd rather have a top 4 puck moving d. 

It’s funny you say that because clearly our brass doesn’t vision Juolevi being a top 4 defenceman or else he would be in the lineup nearly every night playing harder minutes learning to adapt. When you favour Chatfield and Rathbone over a Juolevi it sends a message to the player and the fans what the team thinks of him. 

26 minutes ago, Googlie said:

LE will be bought out this summer. It's finally worth it to do it. Will drop his cap hit next season to 4 million, and only costs us 1 million cap space the following.

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

LE will be bought out this summer. It's finally worth it to do it. Will drop his cap hit next season to 4 million, and only costs us 1 million cap space the following.

Maybe, but the org doesn't seem too willing to spend money like that these days. 

3 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Maybe, but the org doesn't seem too willing to spend money like that these days. 

Jim might be reluctant to go to his boss and ask him to pay for his mistake.  At least after this season.  We're not talking about a head coach's salary but multiples of that.

19 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Let the end of season winning streak screw our draft picks begin :picard:

Tanking is always moronic IMHO.  Winning is never a bad option.  It's in fact the only goal of any sport or game.  I'd fully support winning out the season and snuffing out the Flames.  If not, what are we here for?  Are we fans of the draft (i.e. the business side of things) or fans of hockey?

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, SNuck said:

I think this is what worries me the most this year. Various rumours about wanting to take the cheap route in coaching, buyouts, etc.  No matter how much some people want Benning, Green et al gone if they are replaced by cheap generic no-names life isn’t going to get any better here. We won’t be talking about next year or two years to compete anymore.

• Cheers 1