[Rumour] Vladimir Tkachyov terminates KHL contract with SKA to pursue NHL

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Players that had more points than him: 

Spooner

Shirokov

Boucher

Da Costa

Granlund

For a player his size he would need to be putting up well over a point per game to make it likely that he’ll have an impact at the next level.

Gusev had 82 points in 62 games and he could barely make an impact.

Pass on undersized projects. That ship has sailed.

My opinion is that his point total, including playoffs, are good- which is one positive. There's a good chance he would never make it, but he's on the same team as Pod and could be a cheap contract worth a flyer. Plus he also is a small player who has had some minor experience (QMJHL) playing NA hockey too (albeit in the softest CHL league).

I'm not saying he's in the Panarin or Kaprisov mold but he has chance to be Gusev, Zuccarello or a Hudler, or at worse a Reid Boucher or Linden Vey or Sergei Shirokov type who can lead the new BC AHL team in points.

I would be keen on him for a fair contract .  But obvs we have a difference of opinion there

• Cheers 1

Well..... no point in considering this guy unless he did play on the same line with Podz... so there is no assurance that they already had chemistry together...

But having said that, he does seem to have a lot of skill.... similar to Hoglander, small and smooth.... doesn't hurt to add a skilled Russian winger to make Podz feel he got a buddy to transition with! Doubt he'll cost more than $1.5M? He seems more NHL-ready than Lind??

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would say that’s meh yes if we’re looking for a top 6 forward.

If he’s a depth guy we already have plenty of those.

Yes, we do have plenty of Motte, Hawryluk, Highmore, MacEwen, Roussel, Beagle....

But this guy belongs in the class of Hoglander.... small but highly skilled... 

I hope Benning takes a risk and signs this guy to play on the 3rd line with Podz.

We need some risks and leaps of faith! Nothing ever got accomplished with playing it safe. Give him 2x2m and roll the dice.

Miller - Petey - Brock

Hog - Bo - Pearson

Motte - Podz - Tkachyov

Lind - Beags - ???/Rous

We desperately need some secondary scoring. I say go for it!

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

My opinion is that his point total, including playoffs, are good- which is one positive. There's a good chance he would never make it, but he's on the same team as Pod and could be a cheap contract worth a flyer. Plus he also is a small player who has had some minor experience (QMJHL) playing NA hockey too (albeit in the softest CHL league).

I'm not saying he's in the Panarin or Kaprisov mold but he has chance to be Gusev, Zuccarello or a Hudler, or at worse a Reid Boucher or Linden Vey or Sergei Shirokov type who can lead the new BC AHL team in points.

I would be keen on him for a fair contract .  But obvs we have a difference of opinion there

I wouldn’t be against it, even though my posts so far in this thread have been a bit tongue in cheek.

Tkachyov has some talent and has produced fairly well wherever he’s played. He’s definitely made the radar of some NHL scouting staffs, and very nearly ended up in Edmonton a few years back (they tried to sign him when he wasn’t eligible, and then the Oilers had some regime change, and he kind of fell out of favour). But Tkachyov has, as you note, made the trip across the pond earlier, to play CHL, and he’s attended NHL camp, and been successful in preseason, so he’s not completely unfamiliar with the NA game, and has shown some promise.

On a cheap, one year deal, he’s a worthwhile gamble. I’m not sure if an undersized forward is what we need, to fill out the Canucks roster next year, but there’s nothing wrong with having another talented offensive player in the system, and there’s always a chance he surprises and shows enough to displace another roster forward. 

When it comes to KHL free agents this year, I’d also look at Konstantine Okulov and Damir Zhafyarov, who are both unsigned and coming off impressive seasons. I’d expect they’ll be getting interest from NHL teams.

There are also a couple RH shot RHDs hitting KHL free agency, in Brennan Menell and Oliwer Kaski. Unfortunately, their NHL rights are currently held by Minnesota and Carolina, respectively (as defected players), but I imagine their rights could be acquired at not too high a cost. Both players scored over 30 points in the KHL last season, and logged significant minutes.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Players that had more points than him: 

Spooner

Shirokov

Boucher

Da Costa

Granlund

For a player his size he would need to be putting up well over a point per game to make it likely that he’ll have an impact at the next level.

Gusev had 82 points in 62 games and he could barely make an impact.

Pass on undersized projects. That ship has sailed.

How big is Kaprizov?

1 hour ago, Oregon.Duck said:

How big is Kaprizov?

2 years younger and putting up over a point per game when he came over.

For every Kaprizov there’s a dozen Shirokovs.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

The only way I would be interested is if it was a cheap enough deal to be mostly buried in the minors.

It does seem like there is a subset of Russian players who are great in the KHL, but would overvalue what they are worth in the NHL.  They need to show they can play before getting awarded a decent contract... not demand a big contract before they have ever stepped foot in an NHL game.  He will probably be looking for a $2-3 million dollar contract, and that is too much for a complete unknown quantity.

That was one big failure of Tryamkin's camp.  Sure, he would probably only make around the same as he made in the KHL (taxes, escrow, cost of living all factored in).  The upside is that if you sign a 1 year contract for that amount and make the jump.... if you show yourself to be the player you think you are, the next contract could be $3-4 million which is several times more than what you would earn in the KHL.  It is betting on yourself and investing in dramatically more long term earning potential.

• Cheers 1

On 5/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, DeNiro said:

2 years younger and putting up over a point per game when he came over.

For every Kaprizov there’s a dozen Shirokovs.

Wasn’t Shirokov decent when he was here? Just went into the dog house for some reason. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Wasn’t Shirokov decent when he was here? Just went into the dog house for some reason. 

Ya Vigneult wasn't really fond of him. I think he had a 2 goal game or he scored 2 games in a row if I recall correctly, then AV shipped him out to the farm team, never seen him since. Its too bad, he looked pretty good in the preseason but I don't think he stuck very long in the opening night roster.

• Sad 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, Stierlitz said:

Well, Tkachuk is a Ukranian surname and Tkachev is a Russian one. But you are right - both means the same: son of some weaver (tkach).

Son of something, alright.

• Haha 3

Size may be an issue, but it’s worth a shot, if he’s wanting to come here on a 1-year deal.

This team desperately needs more skill - our PP2 is a dog’s breakfast. If Tkachyov pans out, him and Pod could possibly make something out of it, and could be 2/3 of an effective 3rd line (finally!).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 1:05 PM, Provost said:

The only way I would be interested is if it was a cheap enough deal to be mostly buried in the minors.

It does seem like there is a subset of Russian players who are great in the KHL, but would overvalue what they are worth in the NHL.  They need to show they can play before getting awarded a decent contract... not demand a big contract before they have ever stepped foot in an NHL game.  He will probably be looking for a $2-3 million dollar contract, and that is too much for a complete unknown quantity.

That was one big failure of Tryamkin's camp.  Sure, he would probably only make around the same as he made in the KHL (taxes, escrow, cost of living all factored in).  The upside is that if you sign a 1 year contract for that amount and make the jump.... if you show yourself to be the player you think you are, the next contract could be $3-4 million which is several times more than what you would earn in the KHL.  It is betting on yourself and investing in dramatically more long term earning potential.

Late response to this by me. I think Tryamkin's camp was possibly using the Canucks for negotiations in Russia. I don't think he would've wanted to come back to Vancouver, and there wasn't as much NHL interest as he had hoped too. Craig Button was surprisingly dismissive about him as a player. He thought he was at best a 6/7 player, and won't replace an Edler.

Edited by Dazzle

On 5/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Dazzle said:

I think Podkolzin will be an attractive piece for him because they played on the same team in Russia, if I am not mistaken. Podkolzin will have a Russian friend to help him adjust the NHL game.

This is perfect. Someone tell Benning to get him. Perfect linemate for podkolzin.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

This is perfect. Someone tell Benning to get him. Perfect linemate for podkolzin.

I'm sure Benning is already all over it, considering they've been watching Podkolzin's games. :P

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Something I found here:

https://en.khl.ru/news/2020/02/07/465812.html

"I could score another three goals and have four assists more"

On Jan. 30, SKA managed to defeat Avangard only on SO, failing to score for three periods. "We had our chances," Podkolzin says. "However, it was a close game; no one wanted to allow an inch. I think that we played very well in the second period in the offensive zone, we only had to score. Luckily, we have a player like Vladimir Tkachyov."

I do think Tkachyov will be a shrewd pickup for Vancouver.