The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blackhawks player from 2010 championship team suing team for sexual assault by coach

Rate this topic

On 6/26/2021 at 2:10 PM, gurn said:

"“Every guy on the team knew about it,” one player on the 2010 team told The Athletic. “Every single guy on the team knew.”"

My immediate question to the unnamed player- what did you do with this information?

The unnamed player, and the rest of the locker room, probably mocked him, and threw the information back in his face time and time again.  These are hockey players we are talking about, after all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I would be disgusted by this if it was the Canucks, probably enough to find a new team. No I take that back, no “probably” about it. 

Agreed.

I don't think I'll be watching any Hawks games this year, including the ones against Vancouver. Hopefully their ratings take a dramatic drop.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And good too he put some pressure on the other guys to speak up by saying ‘it’s not easy to do 5he right thing, especially when still working for the club.’    

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And good too he put some pressure on the other guys to speak up by saying ‘it’s not easy to do 5he right thing, especially when still working for the club.’    

Absolutely, I bet there are some very uncomfortable correspondences between players today. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would email and texts (even as recent as today’s) be available for a court to look at?  

Not sure, I'm not gonna even pretend I'm familiar with American law 

Could get interesting in that regard too, as some of that team was obviously not from the US 

https://www.tsn.ca/after-jail-for-sex-offence-former-blackhawks-video-coach-uses-interns-to-build-business-1.1669656

“He’s living life like he did nothing wrong,” Markham said in an interview. “I’ve seen him back out at the bars… having a good time.”

^ This is one of the aspects of the story which continues to bother me, I can only imagine how his victims feel about this. 

On 7/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, Fanuck said:

Victims of sexual abuse have to deal with enough as it is, they don't need people telling them that every subsequent act of abuse that these scumbags perpetrate is on them because they didn't come forward  -  this mentality is essentially another type of victim shaming which we don't need.  

Where did I blame the victim in my post. The victim did come forward to management and management did nothing, the players on the team knew what happened and did nothing. The end result is someone else was sexually abused when that could have been stopped. You  can call it victim blaming all you want, fact is this guy wasn't stopped, and as a result another person was abused.

• Vintage 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, \/ijay said:

The problem with staying silent is you then allow that person to seek out other victims.

1 hour ago, \/ijay said:

Where did I blame the victim in my post.

The victim(s) didn't 'allow' anything to happen and bear zero responsibility for this scumbags subsequent actions.  Saying otherwise is blaming them no matter how you try to frame it.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The victim(s) didn't 'allow' anything to happen and bear zero responsibility for this scumbags subsequent actions.  Saying otherwise is blaming them no matter how you try to frame it.  

The Hawks, who seem to all have known and did nothing, are responsible for the guy’s further crimes.  The Hawks even gave the guy a positive reference, right? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The Hawks, who seem to all have known and did nothing, are responsible for the guy’s further crimes.  The Hawks even gave the guy a positive reference, right? 

The Hawks have certainly been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion but whether they are legally responsible for their actions (or lack thereof) remains to be seen.