Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Vancouver Canucks and Anaheim Ducks - 2021 1st for Hampus Lindholm (sign and trade)


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

Why would we trade our first this year, which is likely to be another top five pick, for yet another left shot dman? If we move it for anyone it’ll be for a righty. 

I don’t see Edler being back next season and Schmidt has always been much better on the right side.   I’m also assuming that we bring back Hamonic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont think our D is all that bad really. Edler needs to go or at the very least stop playing him more than 3rd pairing minutes. But his cap replaced with a true top pairing, physical, rwo way RHD would be better.

 

Hughes-Top RHD

Schmidt-Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi-Myers

 

Thats a pretty decent balance. Or if Hamonic is not re-signed, you could go younger with:

 

Hughes-Top RHD

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

 

Hughes is not a #1 D. He is an offensive specialust type at this point. The Canucks still need a true #1 RH, Right side D. That can put up points, play good defensively, and play in all situations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t see Edler being back next season and Schmidt has always been much better on the right side.   I’m also assuming that we bring back Hamonic.

Schmidt’s natural side is the left side, and there’s still Juolevi and Rathbone. Trading for another LD just does not make sense for us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Juolevi is not in the plans and Hamonic and Edler are not re-signed, the team would be well set up with a top #1 RHD and a top defensive LHD to play with Schmidt. Part of Schmidt's struggles are due to playing with Edler and deployment issues. If he is played as the more offensive minded part of his pairing I think we would see a return to form.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It is absurd to suggest that Quinn Hughes will be anything less than a top pairing defenceman in the next two years.  He already is, and he will certainly get paid like one in the summer.  Finding a suitable partner for him would help make our blueline far more deadly than adding Lindholm.

Agree, he is already a top pairing D and yeah, no to Lindholm at the cost of a 1st, which will likely be a top 10 pick. Lindholm is yet another LHD, we need a RHD.

 

Hughes defensive game has some holes but I think this year's poor numbers are due to bad usage strategy from the coaches.

 

We need to deploy QH like we deployed the Sedins. Let him focus on the offense and develop a system in which we can maintain the puck possession in the offensive zone for a prolonged period of time when Hughes is on the ice.

 

Question is, can our coaches devise such strategy? We can barely keep the puck in the offensive zone or even exit our dzone.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I have Schmidt listed as a RD.  
 

Although Schmidt can play both sides, he’s always been much better on his off-side.  He’s like Jordie Benn in that regard.  My hope is that the Canucks bring in a coach (Gerard Gallant) that not only understands how to deploy Schmidt, but is also flexible enough to let players play on their off-wing and off side.

 

Aside from Schmidt and Benn, Virtanen is also better on his off wing.  
 

On your above list, I also had Hamonic listed (reports say that he likes it here and wants to re-sign and so I took a leap of faith).

 

####-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

 

Is how I see it.   Play Schmidt on the side and in the role that he was best at.  The guy was a Norris trophy candidate playing the RIGHT side.

 

Use one of Rathbone or Juolevi to bring in a good 3rd line center if we can’t sign one in the off-season.

I get what you are saying, and don't entirely disagree, but it is hard to tie his future success in Vancouver to his past in Vegas.  His deployment was nearly polar opposite this year to what it has been.  It is far easier to play on your off side as an offensive D than it is as a defensive D.  Schmidt never looked settled at all this year, neither did Edler.   Both were asked to play far more defensive roles that they have at any stage of their careers.  

 

If Schmidt is deployed 35% OZ starts, I think he has to be on the left side.  If he gets closer to a 50/50 split, then I agree with you, leave him on the right side.  I have a "strong dislike" for the way that Baumgartner used our D this year in terms of deployment and minutes.  I really hope we see a much different situation next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think our D is all that bad really. Edler needs to go or at the very least stop playing him more than 3rd pairing minutes. But his cap replaced with a true top pairing, physical, rwo way RHD would be better.

 

Hughes-Top RHD

Schmidt-Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi-Myers

 

Thats a pretty decent balance. Or if Hamonic is not re-signed, you could go younger with:

 

Hughes-Top RHD

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

 

Hughes is not a #1 D. He is an offensive specialust type at this point. The Canucks still need a true #1 RH, Right side D. That can put up points, play good defensively, and play in all situations.

Hate to admit it but I agree with you about Hughes.   MS on Hockeysfuture said the same two years back and although I was extremely annoyed with his comment, I do believe he is/was correct.  His comparison of Hughes was to Torey Krug and I’ll have to agree with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I get what you are saying, and don't entirely disagree, but it is hard to tie his future success in Vancouver to his past in Vegas.  His deployment was nearly polar opposite this year to what it has been.  It is far easier to play on your off side as an offensive D than it is as a defensive D.  Schmidt never looked settled at all this year, neither did Edler.   Both were asked to play far more defensive roles that they have at any stage of their careers.  

 

If Schmidt is deployed 35% OZ starts, I think he has to be on the left side.  If he gets closer to a 50/50 split, then I agree with you, leave him on the right side.  I have a "strong dislike" for the way that Baumgartner used our D this year in terms of deployment and minutes.  I really hope we see a much different situation next year.

Good points.  
 

That’s also one of the reasons why I want to see Gerard Gallant come in here with his handpicked coaching staff, etc.  

 

Change the system and start using Schmidt like he was used in Vegas.  I am of the belief that a Hampus Lindholm-Nate Schmidt pairing would be among the best in the league but perhaps I’m wrong.  
 

Bring in Gallant, let Gallant change the system, and use Schmidt in such a way where his game is maximized from said revised system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Juolevi is not in the plans and Hamonic and Edler are not re-signed, the team would be well set up with a top #1 RHD and a top defensive LHD to play with Schmidt. Part of Schmidt's struggles are due to playing with Edler and deployment issues. If he is played as the more offensive minded part of his pairing I think we would see a return to form.

Agreed.  
 

The only problem is that Hughes-Schmidt together is too much of a liability defensively.  Maybe in the future, we’d see

Rathbone-Schmidt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Lindholm is 27 and turns 28 in January.   Is that really “old?”

 

I would also argue that Lindholm’s stats have been adversely effected due to being on a bad team.

ya hes not worth a top 5 draft pick hes maybe worth a second  but id rather just sign a free agent than pay draft pucks for him

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Good points.  
 

That’s also one of the reasons why I want to see Gerard Gallant come in here with his handpicked coaching staff, etc.  

 

Change the system and start using Schmidt like he was used in Vegas.  I am of the belief that a Hampus Lindholm-Nate Schmidt pairing would be among the best in the league but perhaps I’m wrong.  
 

Bring in Gallant, let Gallant change the system, and use Schmidt in such a way where his game is maximized from said revised system.

I agree 100% that Gallant is the right guy to lead this team.  We have the horses to play his style.  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...