The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seth Jones [Proposal]

May get wrecked for this but lets give it a shot. CBJ may need to enter a re tool era and with that Seth Jones will be entering his prime. Rather it being wasted in CBJ he would make a good add for us especially with Edler retiring soon.

We trade our 2022 first round pick (avoid trading or high pick this year) (Also top 10 protected!), becomes a 2023 1st if not next season and a conditional 3rd rounder + Jake Virtanen (assuming his career remains), plus Lind. We may have to add a pick or prospect on top. 

• Haha 1

The conversation would likely start with this year's 1st as CBJ will know it's a high pick, one of Juolevi/Rathbone, one of Podz/Hogs, and probably more.  In other words, no way that the Canucks would do it.  It would gut the future of this team.  Only hope is Jones goes the UFA route next year and the Canucks bid big on him.

trading the pick with Jones? yes,

but they won`t trade Jones for that, they want more?

losing prospects is a step backward, so if they want more which they would, then no.

But what if we win the lottery?

then noooooooooooooooooooooo.

but nucks never win the lottery, never ever,don`t know why, but Nucks don`t.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

May get wrecked for this but lets give it a shot. CBJ may need to enter a re tool era and with that Seth Jones will be entering his prime. Rather it being wasted in CBJ he would make a good add for us especially with Edler retiring soon.

We trade our 2022 first round pick (avoid trading or high pick this year) (Also top 10 protected!), becomes a 2023 1st if not next season and a conditional 3rd rounder + Jake Virtanen (assuming his career remains), plus Lind. We may have to add a pick or prospect on top. 

I like where your head is at but Columbus’ asking price would be much higher than that.   A 2021 1st + a LOT

They would only move Seth Jones if they absolutely feel that they will lose him for nothing in one year anyway. CBJ mgmt won't be letting on if that is the case but it is worth a crack to see what we could get. I would propose:

To CBJ: Miller + Schmidt + 2021 2nd round pick

To VAN: Jones + Jenner

Then this to the Sabres (esp if they feel Reinhart will walk too):

To BUF: 2021 1st round pick (unprotected) + Lind + Roussel

To VAN: Reinhart

Waive Loui, buy out Virtanen, sign Reinhart for $7m, total cap hit $80.5m per capfriendly 

2021-22 lineup:

Pearson Horvat Reinhart

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Motte Jenner Podkolzin

Gadjovich Beagle MacEwen

(Highmore)

Hughes Jones

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone Hamonic

(Bowey)

Demko

(Holtby)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

I like the idea. A Hughes-Jones pairing would be awesome.

But that trade is bad for them. We add a lot

I'd love to see that pairing as well. Hughes needs a solid RD to clean-up his mistakes. Preferably someone around age 25. But, it won't be Jones. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Seth the minute munching partner for Quinn?  Cost just might be too high though, and something we can’t afford.  What’s our strongest position, where we can afford to give up elite young talent?  

Depends on who you consider to be the Canucks "elite young talent". 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Seth the minute munching partner for Quinn?  Cost just might be too high though, and something we can’t afford.  What’s our strongest position, where we can afford to give up elite young talent?  

Cost will be too high imo.

My guess is that the Canucks will go hard after Adam Larsson or David Savard in this off season.

He's already indicated that he wants out of Columbus.  He's not re-signing there.  If they are forced to trade him they won't get the haul they are expecting.  Unless he gets traded to the team he absolutely wants to play for I don't see him signing an extension with anyone.  He will go UFA like Pietrangelo and get his big payday.  Canucks will be clearing millions off the cap in 2022 and will be one of the few teams that will be able to afford him.  

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's already indicated that he wants out of Columbus.  He's not re-signing there.  If they are forced to trade him they won't get the haul they are expecting.  Unless he gets traded to the team he absolutely wants to play for I don't see him signing an extension with anyone.  He will go UFA like Pietrangelo and get his big payday.  Canucks will be clearing millions off the cap in 2022 and will be one of the few teams that will be able to afford him.  

Source?