The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Israelis and Hamas Conflict/ Netanyahu Out as PM - Coalition Led by Bennett Take Over

DonLever

Israel mounts more air strikes against Palestinian militants in Gaza Strip (irishtimes.com)

Israel fired artillery and mounted more air strikes on Friday against Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip amid constant rocket fire deep into Israel’s commercial centre. As hostilities entered their fifth day, with no sign of abating, the Israeli military said in a statement shortly after midnight that air and ground forces were attacking the Hamas-run enclave.

Rocket barrages from Gaza swiftly followed. Although the statement gave no further details, Israeli military affairs correspondents who are briefed regularly by the armed forces said it was not a ground invasion, and that troops were firing artillery from Israel’s side of the border.

Residents of northern Gaza, near the Israeli frontier, said they had seen no sign of Israeli ground forces inside the enclave but reported heavy artillery fire and dozens of air strikes.

Thursday’s Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan, is supposed to be one of the happiest days of the year but for the residents of Gaza the day brought more death and destruction as the conflict with Israel continued with no end in sight.

At least 87 residents have been killed, 15 of them children, from Israeli strikes, with hundreds wounded.

In Israel, a five-year-old boy died overnight after a rocket fired from Gaza slammed into his home in the town of Sderot, close to the Gaza border. He was the seventh fatality in Israel.

The conflict continues to fan the flames of hatred between Jews and Arabs in Israel, who make up 20 per cent of the population, leading to the worst ethnic clashes in the country’s history.

Edited by DonLever

Violence intensifies in Israel after days of conflict (msn.com)

Tel Aviv — After four nights of intense air raids, the Israeli military said Thursday that ground troops are now attacking in the Gaza Strip. The move is a major escalation in a conflict that has claimed the lives of more than 100 Palestinians and eight Israelis. 

Israel Defense Forces tweeted that "air and ground troops are currently attacking in the Gaza Strip."

In recent days there's been carnage in the streets of Israel's mixed Jewish and Arab cities as neighbor-versus-neighbor violence spreads.

The central city of Lod has seen some of the worst violence. Footage captured on a cellphone shows what the government calls "Jewish extremists" marching through Arab neighborhoods, calling for blood.

"They are moving in our streets they are throwing stones they are shouting at us, they are beating," said Rana Masimi, an Arab Israeli who teaches English at the local high school.

Shauli Rappaport, who is part of Lod's Jewish community, says he can't see a way forward. 

The unrest triggered a massive security buildup. Israel's military said two infantry units and an armored unit were at the Gaza border and plans had been prepared for a potential ground incursion. 

Edited by DonLever

• DonLever changed the title to Conflict Between Israelis and Palestinians Intensify As Israeli Troops Enter Gaza
11 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Ever notice how most seemingly endless conflicts are essentially religious conflicts.  

I think this conflict is more about power and control than religion.  Ie.  Who has control over land has the upper hand.  That  is why some people are being kicked out of Jerusalem and are fighting back.

• Cheers 1

Israelis stormed mosques a few days ago and kicked this off.  Cannot recall or remember why.  Excessive force by all accounts.

Hamas of course fired rockets green lighting the Israeli IDF to launch air strikes and guided missile attacks

Palestinians cannot fight back against Hamas and ISraeli forces, but are also at risk from IDF defended Israeli mobs who are assaulting and attacking Palestinian citizens in their homes and on the streets.  Any retaliation sees quick and swift reprisals by the IDF who claim they are defending israeli citizens.

PErsonally...I say just have Elon Musk supervillain a meteor down wipe the entire place off the map and start over because it's never going to get better

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Ever notice how most seemingly endless conflicts are essentially religious conflicts.  

If you studied the conflict longterm you would know religion has very little do with it. 

Nowadays It is all about land and power/control. 

The establishment of a Jewish state vs Palestinian state.

The Israeli government is ultra nationalist and wants only a Jewish state just like Hamas are ultra nationalist and want a Palestinian state. 

Sure one could argue there was a time when religion played a great role in this conflict(crusades, Arab nationalism, etc..) but Arabs and Israelis have lived side by side for centuries and more so after the creation of modern Israel. 

It is rather unfortunate this conflict has dragged on for so long.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Muslims and Jews; Palestinians and Israelis.  These people believe in the very same God, right?  They can share the same God, but not the same land?  The fighting between these two groups has got to get fixed.  

Its not about Jews or Palestinians, its about religion and will never be fixed, they have been fighting since the beginning of time and will never stop

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

If you studied the conflict longterm you would know religion has very little do with it. 

Nowadays It is all about land and power/control. 

The establishment of a Jewish state vs Palestinian state.

The Israeli government is ultra nationalist and wants only a Jewish state just like Hamas are ultra nationalist and want a Palestinian state. 

Sure one could argue there was a time when religion played a great role in this conflict(crusades, Arab nationalism, etc..) but Arabs and Israelis have lived side by side for centuries and more so after the creation of modern Israel. 

It is rather unfortunate this conflict has dragged on for so long.. 

religion has everything to do with it and has since the beginning of time

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

religion has everything to do with it and has since the beginning of time

Just because you are anti-religious doesn't mean religion is bad or relevant to this topic.

Go take your Big Bang theory views elsewhere lol.

The nerve of some people to believe masonic science :frantic:

Everything happened because of a Big Bang oh boy :rolleyes:

/End rant 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They don't want it fixed, and they don't really believe in the religions they claim too. If they did they wouldn't be killing each other. 

I don't know the stance in Judaism but in Islam it is forbidden to hate other religions or teachings.. 

So killing someone because of their beliefs is a major no no.

But since humans have their own conscience and do as they believe what is religion going to do to stop them. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Just because you are anti-religious doesn't mean religion is bad or relevant to this topic.

/End rant 

@SBriggs  did not mention the big bang in his posts.

The Abrahamic Religions are about control pure and simple.

Most empires through history have controlled this strategically placed territory.

From the Caaninites, Babylonians,Romans,Mongols,through to the Europeans and British.

The very idea that a god spoke to the leader of a wandering tribe of people and gave them some land is a ridiculous idea to a logical,rational,sane thinking person.

It saddens me that the people who have been persecuted for centuries are now persecuting the people who have lived in this place for generations.

But that's what our species does,repeats patterns of behaviours.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

/End rant 

Who says I'm anti religion? I'm just not nieve, I mean Jews and Muslims have been at war my entire life and for thousands of years, just add Christians and there's your greed

31 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

@SBriggs  did not mention the big bang in his posts.

The Abrahamic Religions are about control pure and simple.

Most empires through history have controlled this strategically placed territory.

From the Caaninites, Babylonians,Romans,Mongols,through to the Europeans and British.

The very idea that a god spoke to the leader of a wandering tribe of people and gave them some land is a ridiculous idea to a logical,rational,sane thinking person.

It saddens me that the people who have been persecuted for centuries are now persecuting the people who have lived in this place for generations.

But that's what our species does,repeats patterns of behaviours.

I was using that as an example of the posters logic and refusal to read the facts.. instead of using the same narrative we hear all the time. 

Religion this religion that.. 

My experience with anti-religious people is they are usually very uneducated or just plain ignorant.

I guess living in small towns doesn't help either.  

I don't have an issue if you are not religious as no one is forcing anyone to believe in the western world but at least have the respect for it. 

I have studied this in University a place of knowledge and come to learn some facts also hearing first hand accounts with people that live there. 

Edited by drummer4now

3 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

I was using that as an example of the posters logic and refusal to read the facts.. instead of using the same narrative we hear all the time. 

Religion this religion that.. 

My experience with ant-religious people is they are usually very uneducated or just plain ignorant.

I guess living in small towns doesn't help either.  

I don't have an issue if you are not religious as no one is forcing anyone to believe in the western world but at least have the respect for it. 

I have studied this in University a place of knowledge and come to learn some facts also hearing first hand accounts with people that live there. 

Your really arrogant, you think you know everyone and everything? I know plenty of atheists and they are far from uneducated. And what does living in a small town or the western world have to do with religion, the western world is multicultural and has multi religions? You don't learn everything in University sometimes life is the best lesson of all and it seems to me if you say your an educated person you'd fall into that ignorant elitist category yourself. End rant:sadno:

9 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Your really arrogant, you think you know everyone and everything? I know plenty of atheists and they are far from uneducated. And what does living in a small town or the western world have to do with religion, the western world is multicultural and has multi religions? You don't learn everything in University sometimes life is the best lesson of all and it seems to me if you say your an educated person you'd fall into that ignorant elitist category yourself. End rant:sadno:

If you read my post I said University and hearing first hand accounts of people Jews and Arabs alike. 

That is what I hate about these forums is once a narrative is established (anti something etc..) you pile on the support from others

to put down someones views. 

It is like 1 vs 5 other people; never a chance to win an argument. 

Like I said your choice to believe whatever you want but please try to keep the bashing to yourself.. or at the very least 

read some facts on a subject before commenting. 

/End rant 

Edited by drummer4now

30 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

If you read my post I said University and hearing first hand accounts of people Jews and Arabs alike. 

That is what I hate about these forums is once a narrative is established (anti something etc..) you pile on the support from others

to put down someones views. 

It is like 1 vs 5 other people; never a chance to win an argument. 

Like I said your choice to believe whatever you want but please try to keep the bashing to yourself.. or at the very least 

read some facts on a subject before commenting. 

/End rant 

I believe it was you who called me uneducated and ignorant and then you refer to me living in a smalll town as part of my problem? Take a look in the mirror. Lets agree to disagree and go our own ways. Now I know who you are I'll ignore what you have to say on this site......about anything